I was wondering if for a moment we assumed the A10 launched with a 1080p 5" screen resolution. Given that all apps are currently optimized for 720p screens (Z10 Q10 and Q5), would the BlackBerry users asking/demanding this screen resolution be Ok with black bars around their apps for say 6 to 8 months?

I assume developers would need to adjust their apps for the new resolution. I am also assuming that it could take up to 8 montha for all of your apps to make this transition. This is an issue not contemplated by 1080p advocates.
    08-10-13 06:46 PM
    I'd assume that it would just scale it up, as it does when I hook it up to the tv with 1080p out. I dont think it would bother me, but alas, the Z30 (AFAIK) is 720 as well. =/
    08-10-13 07:43 PM
    Up scaling has many algorithms. It would be trivial to make it work.

Posted via CB10
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-10-13 08:23 PM
    If BlackBerry did release a 1080p device, it would surely make a lot of developers mad.

Honestly, a group of angry developers is the last thing BlackBerry needs right now.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    08-10-13 09:31 PM
    Why would it anger devs?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:09 PM
    Recoding their apps.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    08-10-13 10:09 PM
    Recoding them why?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:35 PM
    If a developer gets angry then they are seriously lazier then I thought. As well apple upscaled their apps when they jumped from the iPhone 3gs to the 4 as well as different resolutions for the iPads and their retina vs non retina displays.

It's easier to build a 1080p display and have the devs increase their resolutions and just have the os down scale for the Z10. This is BlackBerrys answer to the gamers so the way I see it is it should come out with as much raw video power and gaming selling features as they can throw at it.

Posted via CB10
    szlevi likes this.
    08-11-13 03:18 AM
    So basically BlackBerry won't be allowed to upgrade their hardware (screen resolution) because of a promise of only two resolutions to devs?

Posted via CB10
    szlevi likes this.
    08-11-13 11:24 PM
    So basically BlackBerry won't be allowed to upgrade their hardware (screen resolution) because of a promise of only two resolutions to devs?
    They are clearly going to upgrade the resolution at some point, but not forcing a change this early when it also works to their benefit as far as costs and battery life is a sensible option for BB even if it does result in the negative on the spec side of things.
    08-12-13 06:12 AM
    I agree I think going 720p to keep the apps consistent and to increase battery life is a good trade-off. Features like 1080p
    r probably why GS4 battery sucks. Only a small population of geeks/trolls who really don't know what they're talking about see 1080p as a needed feature or spec. The fact is that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" screen, let alone a screen 5" or less. It really is just a spec to compare on the little card at the store. Even If it released with a quad core processor and 1080p these same morons would be starting a new thread "Z30 battery life sux" There's just no pleasing some people.

Posted from my incredible Z10
    08-15-13 10:20 PM
    I don't watch TV 10 inches away from my face.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    08-15-13 10:25 PM
    I agree I think going 720p to keep the apps consistent and to increase battery life is a good trade-off. Features like 1080p
    r probably why GS4 battery sucks. Only a small population of geeks/trolls who really don't know what they're talking about see 1080p as a needed feature or spec. The fact is that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" screen, let alone a screen 5" or less. It really is just a spec to compare on the little card at the store. Even If it released with a quad core processor and 1080p these same morons would be starting a new thread "Z30 battery life sux" There's just no pleasing some people.

Posted from my incredible Z10
    let me speak as a developer then, and tell you how wrong you are.

If I have built an app for the SGS4 in 1080p, that means all my assets are in that size, now I want to be a nice developer and bring my app to the Z30, sadly as I have to resize all my assets, im less inclined to do so. Also the OS doesn't automatically resize even though the aspect ratio is the same, so its not something the OS can handle itself, hence work for me, and seeing as how there aren't many of these devices out there I might not want to put all that time and effort in for what could be a low return.

That's a very realistic scenario, and it shows why having a set size universally like 1080p would benefit users on ALL platforms. but hey, im sure you`ll think of reason why that's such a bad thing.

also, jus an fyi, those people that compare specs in stores, they`re called customers. you need them for your business to thrive.
    szlevi, Thrac Dark and aminrajabi like this.
    08-16-13 01:16 AM
    That's a very realistic scenario, and it shows why having a set size universally like 1080p would benefit users on ALL platforms. but hey, im sure you`ll think of reason why that's such a bad thing.
    That is a realistic scenario if you are happy to ignore the vast majority of even the android market that is not running at 1080p and will not be anywhere near 1080p for years.
    08-16-13 05:14 AM
    That is a realistic scenario if you are happy to ignore the vast majority of even the android market that is not running at 1080p and will not be anywhere near 1080p for years.
    while you have a point, altho I wouldn't debate what future standards will become (BB tried that with 720p, now look at this convo) its kinda a thing that you could make an app in 1080p and you`d hold a majority of the userbase in android. basically cater to the 1080p devices and you`ll have the lions share of the market in android, so there might not be so much reward going forward for a developer to support other sizes. its very simplified thinking, but ya gotta admit that's how the landscape is right now.
    08-16-13 08:29 AM
    while you have a point, altho I wouldn't debate what future standards will become (BB tried that with 720p, now look at this convo) its kinda a thing that you could make an app in 1080p and you`d hold a majority of the userbase in android. basically cater to the 1080p devices and you`ll have the lions share of the market in android, so there might not be so much reward going forward for a developer to support other sizes. its very simplified thinking, but ya gotta admit that's how the landscape is right now.
    Actually if you look at the sales figures for android devices, 1080p displays have nowhere being the lion's share of the market nor will it be that case anytime soon either. The sales of high end devices may draw the attention, but for most of the market it is 720p and other displays that are where the volume actually is.
    08-16-13 09:38 AM
    Features like 1080p
    r probably why GS4 battery sucks. Only a small population of geeks/trolls who really don't know what they're talking about see 1080p as a needed feature or spec. The fact is that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" screen, let alone a screen 5" or less. It really is just a spec to compare on the little card at the store.
    This is the kind of ignorant-clueless nonsense that's plagued BB forums for long which is one thing - everybody is entitled to publicly embarrass himself.with any moronic view - but I wonder whether this idiotic, ********, completely laughable idea is prevalent among the BB mgmt, causing the well-known problems in design and.execution...?

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    08-17-13 03:12 AM
    Apple did the same thing with the apps and screen resolution. No reason why it won't work. People are obsessed with specs even though development is usually behind.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 02:03 AM
    Just take television for example. Cable isn't even 1080p

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 02:04 AM
    let me speak as a developer then, and tell you how wrong you are.

If I have built an app for the SGS4 in 1080p, that means all my assets are in that size, now I want to be a nice developer and bring my app to the Z30, sadly as I have to resize all my assets, im less inclined to do so. Also the OS doesn't automatically resize even though the aspect ratio is the same, so its not something the OS can handle itself, hence work for me, and seeing as how there aren't many of these devices out there I might not want to put all that time and effort in for what could be a low return.

also, jus an fyi, those people that compare specs in stores, they`re called customers. you need them for your business to thrive.
    As far as I know that is the reason why when you build an android app you have many assets in diferent sizes so you can acomodate the various screen resolutions in Android OS, meaning that if you coded your app exclusively for a 1080p display you're limiting your market reach for no reason.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1323.
    kbz1960, SDTRMG and Jaguarandine like this.
    08-20-13 02:31 AM
    Recoding them why?

Posted via CB10
    No need for any "recoding" (what is he trying to say, recompiling perhaps?)
    If BB10 does not handle scaling properly or makes it very trivial for devs to add more resolution support then it's a royally screwed-up OS, for sure.
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-21-13 05:53 PM
    Just take television for example. Cable isn't even 1080p

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Probably the worst example of the month...
    08-21-13 05:53 PM
    No need for any "recoding" (what is he trying to say, recompiling perhaps?)
    If BB10 does not handle scaling properly or makes it very trivial for devs to add more resolution support then it's a royally screwed-up OS, for sure.
    Up scaling generally doesn't lead to a good quality experience.

As for bb10. The clock app is my example, they have made different graphics per screen size. They haven't even scaled their own core os apps. So that's a good confidence builder lol

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:11 PM
    Up scaling generally doesn't lead to a good quality experience.
    Sure it's not the greatest method but it can hold you over until you add more assets, right? Also at 5" it's probably less disturbing than, say, at 50" (and that's why I always have a dedicated scaler in my HT setup for a decade now. )

As for bb10. The clock app is my example, they have made different graphics per screen size. They haven't even scaled their own core os apps. So that's a good confidence builder lol

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's the regular approach, of course but I would be surprised if the rendering engine wouldn't be able to properly handle it by default.
    08-21-13 07:15 PM
    Anyways, LG jus announced their qhd 2560x1440 screens, so 1080p = old and 720p = ancient lol

Posted via CB10
    LWKING likes this.
    08-22-13 03:43 AM
41 12