�In Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam, we recently broke through 20 percent market share with Lumia, so obviously the Windows Phone platform is becoming really significant,�

Nokia, Microsoft hoping to make more noise in smartphones | UTSanDiego.com

Indonesia was one of the BlackBerry's strongholds.
    Last edited by rodan01; 08-09-13 at 12:34 PM.
    08-09-13 11:58 AM
    well this is what happens when you don't offer low, low end devices.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    08-09-13 12:00 PM
    yea after 3 years of trying, it seems WP8 has finally taken off this year........Not that I have anything against it per say; in fact I'm quite impressed with WP8 (except for the tiles & annoying large font) However it kinda sucks because I would rather see those sales go to BBRY.
    08-09-13 12:08 PM
    WP will remain BlackBerry's biggest competition, the App Store is growing, pricing is competitive.
    08-09-13 12:11 PM
    Bad news about Indonesia. That was a big market for BB.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 12:12 PM
    that is definitely not good news. WP is growing by the day and BB is declining overall. BB has to do something or they'll end up sold.

Sent using my Z10
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 08-09-13 at 02:19 PM.
    08-09-13 01:42 PM
    Bad news about Indonesia. That was a big market for BB.

Posted via CB10
    Yes 20% of blackberry's subscribers are in Indonesia alone.
    h20work likes this.
    08-09-13 02:09 PM
    I've been noticing Windows Phones has really ramped up its marketing for Lumina series in Vietnam when they started sponsoring The Voice 2013 there.

That really raised the awareness. I remember when I went back to Vietnam for a visit in 1999, it was all about Nokia phones and everywhere I travelled I I think I saw 8/10 phones were Nokia phones. They were once the dominant player and with their revamped marketing campaign and their affordable to high end phone models, they could still back that market share.

BlackBerry really needs to reshape the marketing department from the top down. If the current head of marketing hasn't been able to raise a lot of awareness for BB10 then they should really get someone else.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 02:21 PM
    I've been noticing Windows Phones has really ramped up its marketing for Lumina series in Vietnam when they started sponsoring The Voice 2013 there.

That really raised the awareness. I remember when I went back to Vietnam for a visit in 1999, it was all about Nokia phones and everywhere I travelled I I think I saw 8/10 phones were Nokia phones. They were once the dominant player and with their revamped marketing campaign and their affordable to high end phone models, they could still back that market share.

BlackBerry really needs to reshape their marketing department.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. They may be still in a transition. But they still have to keep their market share stable. WP, android and IOS are taking it all from BB.

PS. Its Lumia not Lumina
    08-09-13 02:25 PM
    Gotta sell Q5 cheap if they wanna capture the low end market. Make it a $250 phone off contract
    08-09-13 02:32 PM
    Agreed. They may be still in a transition. But they still have to keep their market share stable. WP, android and IOS are taking it all from BB.

PS. Its Lumia not Lumina
    I think Nokia has moved its main production facility to Vietnam if I'm not wrong because I read it somewhere in our Vietnamese newspapers last year. With the cheap cost of labor in my country, I have a feeling Nokia is up to something big; they could greatly reduce expenses and use most of the cash to deploy their evil plan to dominate Asian countries like mine again - just like the way they used to. Let's hope those Chinese companies like Huawei and Levono could give Nokia some real competition in the low end market.

I used to have several Nokia phones but once I laid my hands on that beautiful BlackBerry Pearl 8100 something, I fell in love and now I love my Z10 even more ;p

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 02:33 PM
    Don't worry the 9720 will reverse this trend!
    Henraay0623 and h20work like this.
    08-09-13 02:51 PM
    If BlackBerry will price it right! Otherwise it's gonna be a flop and let's not forget it's running on the legacy OS so it shouldn't be too expensive right?!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 03:15 PM
    It's no joke, the 9720 is probably is their best hope in Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

However the upcoming availability of BBM on Android will undermine these anticipated gains.
    h20work likes this.
    08-09-13 03:31 PM
    It's not clear to me whether he was saying that Windows had 20% in each of those three countries or 20% of all three combined. I don't know how BlackBerry is doing in Thailand and Vietnam. But if it is not doing well, 20% of the total of the three countries combined is not nearly as troubling if it is 30% in Thailand and Vietnam and 10% in Indonesia.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 08:55 PM
    It's not clear to me whether he was saying that Windows had 20% in each of those three countries or 20% of all three combined. I don't know how BlackBerry is doing in Thailand and Vietnam. But if it is not doing well, 20% of the total of the three countries combined is not nearly as troubling if it is 30% in Thailand and Vietnam and 10% in Indonesia.

Posted via CB10
    Its 20% each country.
    08-09-13 09:13 PM
    Crap!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:55 PM
    20% each country is the exact same as 20% combined!!

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    stevepar likes this.
    08-09-13 11:29 PM

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    Umm no they're not

Sent using my Z10
    08-10-13 12:14 AM
    The 9720 is not going to change anything. They should have spent the money to make sure bb10 works on 512mb of ram. It's the only mobile OS in the market that requires 2gb to run it's ridiculous. You could probably run full windows 8 on the kind of resources bb10 requires.
    rodan01 and the_sleuth like this.
    08-10-13 01:52 AM
    That's true, but the reverse isn't necessarily true.
    08-10-13 02:27 AM
    If BlackBerry will price it right! Otherwise it's gonna be a flop and let's not forget it's running on the legacy OS so it shouldn't be too expensive right?!

Posted via CB10
    I was being sarcastic. A $150 windows touchscreen phone is far more appealing than a BBOS device except for the cheap plans that can be had with them. Given the uptake on cheap Android and Windows Phones in these markets it appears that the cheap plans are not keeping people on the platform.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 09:41 AM
    I was being sarcastic. A $150 windows touchscreen phone is far more appealing than a BBOS device except for the cheap plans that can be had with them. Given the uptake on cheap Android and Windows Phones in these markets it appears that the cheap plans are not keeping people on the platform.

Posted via CB10
    but in indonesia android and WP8 data plan are much cheaper, with $ 2.5 you can get from 600mb - 2GB monthly data plan from major carrier. while BBOS you have to spend $4.5 only to get social BB Plan ( social network + BBM)

many people in indonesia only buying BB phone for BBM so when bbm cross platform, it is getting tougher for BB to keep their customers . samsung already become no 1 mobile vendor in term of marketshare in here..it's hard for BB to compete against $110 phone from samsung, LG, and other cheap china phone.

BB 9720 will be DOA unless they can sell it less than $200. yes indonesia are from emerging countries, but it doesnt mean BB can sell outdated, expensive phone to us.
    h20work and mujahid 10 like this.
    08-10-13 11:48 AM
    “In Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam, we recently broke through 20 percent market share with Lumia, so obviously the Windows Phone platform is becoming really significant,”

Nokia, Microsoft hoping to make more noise in smartphones | UTSanDiego.com

Indonesia was one of the BlackBerry's strongholds.
    Let's again be careful in distinguishing "leading indicators" and "lagging indicators".

20% of new device shipments is not the same thing as 20% of smartphone users. This means that if Windows Phone keeps up these shipment rates, over time, they could pass BlackBerry. However, they absolutely positively in no way, have remotely close to as many users as BlackBerry does in this market. And quarterly shipments can change by the quarter. :-)

This is why I despise it when articles declare "market share" without specifying what they are measuring. I've seen many articles use this and claim, "Windows Phone is now the third largest ecosystem!!"

When you give the author a comment like, "How is 30 million or fewer phones in use larger than 60 million or more in use?" (old BlackBerry OS), they get befuddled. Because people often don't pay attention to what these things mean.
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-10-13 11:54 AM
    but in indonesia android and WP8 data plan are much cheaper, with $ 2.5 you can get from 600mb - 2GB monthly data plan from major carrier. while BBOS you have to spend $4.5 only to get social BB Plan ( social network + BBM)

many people in indonesia only buying BB phone for BBM so when bbm cross platform, it is getting tougher for BB to keep their customers . samsung already become no 1 mobile vendor in term of marketshare in here..it's hard for BB to compete against $110 phone from samsung, LG, and other cheap china phone.

BB 9720 will be DOA unless they can sell it less than $200. yes indonesia are from emerging countries, but it doesnt mean BB can sell outdated, expensive phone to us.
    Then there is absolutely zero reason to release a 9720 in this market based on the info you provided and BlackBerry doesn't have a product to compete here. BB10 devices are to expensive and BBOS is too outdated.

Posted via CB10
    the_sleuth likes this.
    08-10-13 01:22 PM
70 123