Should be worth buying a bag of popcorn to watch...

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:58 AM
    Why is that? Do you understand what happens when a company goes private?
    08-09-13 06:58 AM
    My understanding is that.

1. Once the offer is made the share price on the market will jump up to whatever premium they are offering
    2. They will start to accumulate, or continue to accumulate all of the shares that they can get ahold of
    3. If there aren't shares available for the shorts to use to cover it will drive a squeeze

Isn't going private exactly what happened to VW and drive the price up to $1000 per share temporarilly, due to not enough shares being available on the market to allow the shorts to cover?
    08-09-13 07:47 AM
    An offer will be made for the share price, if that offer is excepted, shares will be paid out at that price. Price offered is usually higher than current share price (needs to be attractive enough for major stakeholders to want to sell). In case of BBRY, it could be anywhere between $17 and $40 (depending on what major stakeholders deem appropriate). Those that are short will be forced to cover and will need to buy back at the given rate.

If you are short, AND BBRY is indeed taken private for the value many expect, it is not a good situation to be in. This is still a lot of smoke thou, I wish but don't expect a lot of shorts to be shaken loose.
    08-09-13 07:55 AM
    so this will be good for me if it happens ofcourse...
    bought them @16 per share...
    garnok likes this.
    08-09-13 08:04 AM
    $40? I think $20 would be much more reasonable (and fair). Depends on what the board and major shareholders would deem fair.
    08-09-13 08:10 AM
    Whatever the price, the stock will move to that level on the market. Option contracts operate outside of the regulated stock market and will expire within or outside of the purchase window. If the contract is underwater, then you lose and the bet just expires. If they're in the black, the settlement date is still in force. Keep in mind, an option is largely a bet on which way the stock is going to move and has nothing to do with actually owning stock. That said, all contracts must have another contract with an actual shareholder in the rare case they have to actually cover the bet.

A company goes private when all the stock on the market is bought by the new owner(s) and the stock is de-listed. The price is agreed to by the majority shareholders and the individual shareholder is really just along for the ride.
    08-09-13 11:03 AM
    I recall reading this today but when Toys R US went from public to private their shares went from 13 ish to high 30's. So what your saying is that BB is not even as valuable as Toys R US and that the best we could hope for a buy back is $20/share?
    08-09-13 08:54 PM
    This is all hearsay.

They could also want to be 10% shareholders .

That would be enough to scare shorts.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:29 PM
    I recall reading this today but when Toys R US went from public to private their shares went from 13 ish to high 30's. So what your saying is that BB is not even as valuable as Toys R US and that the best we could hope for a buy back is $20/share?
    I can virtually assure you that if an offer is made for BBRY, it's not going to be anywhere near the 30's, even though they have almost $6/share in cash which is a hell of a lot for a $10 stock.

There's a lot of BS out there in the 'investment' press (read: any fool with a website who thinks he's an analyst). BBRY has a way forward but changes need to be made. BB10 uptake has been disappointing given their installed user base. They tried to be all things to all people and to take on AAPL with the Z10, which wasn't quite ready, but what would you have done, announce yet another one-year delay?

My by-the-way prediction: if BBRY goes private, Thorsten will be shown the door.
    08-10-13 10:44 AM
    Whomever wishes to take BlackBerry private will require 90% of the shares (as is required in Canada). The primary offer may around 52 week highs (BlackBerry book value), of which they might get 30-40% of shares. Meanwhile, the share supply is very small and shorts will be covering here. It is highly unlikely that the buyer will be able to get 90% of shares at a price of $20.

As for TH being shown the door, I couldn't agree more!

I can virtually assure you that if an offer is made for BBRY, it's not going to be anywhere near the 30's, even though they have almost $6/share in cash which is a hell of a lot for a $10 stock.

There's a lot of BS out there in the 'investment' press (read: any fool with a website who thinks he's an analyst). BBRY has a way forward but changes need to be made. BB10 uptake has been disappointing given their installed user base. They tried to be all things to all people and to take on AAPL with the Z10, which wasn't quite ready, but what would you have done, announce yet another one-year delay?

My by-the-way prediction: if BBRY goes private, Thorsten will be shown the door.
    08-10-13 03:50 PM
    They can have mine for 30ish...all I ask is that they let me know soon so I can buy a ton of calls/ leaps.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 08:57 PM
    Whomever wishes to take BlackBerry private will require 90% of the shares (as is required in Canada). The primary offer may around 52 week highs (BlackBerry book value), of which they might get 30-40% of shares. Meanwhile, the share supply is very small and shorts will be covering here. It is highly unlikely that the buyer will be able to get 90% of shares at a price of $20.

As for TH being shown the door, I couldn't agree more!
    Of the total float of 524 million shares, institutions hold about 300 million. I'm not sure what analysis leads you to believe that an I-bank or private equity firm would get only 30-40% of shares if they offer around the 52 week high. What makes you think that?

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/bbry/in...ional-holdings

The 'share supply' isn't small. In addition, hedge funds and other significant shorts aren't going to be short at an average of i.e. the past year's range. They're going to be short much higher. A move from $9.50 to $18 isn't going to upset them too much. It might cause some retail investors to cover scared, but that's about it.

The institutional investors are not in at historic highs. I'm not at all sure you're right about it being unlikely that 90% of shares could be acquired at $20. If not $20, I guarantee you they'd be available at $24.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-11-13 02:20 AM
    Debatable.

Of the total float of 524 million shares, institutions hold about 300 million. I'm not sure what analysis leads you to believe that an I-bank or private equity firm would get only 30-40% of shares if they offer around the 52 week high. What makes you think that?

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Institutional Ownership & Holdings - NASDAQ.com

The 'share supply' isn't small. In addition, hedge funds and other significant shorts aren't going to be short at an average of i.e. the past year's range. They're going to be short much higher. A move from $9.50 to $18 isn't going to upset them too much. It might cause some retail investors to cover scared, but that's about it.

The institutional investors are not in at historic highs. I'm not at all sure you're right about it being unlikely that 90% of shares could be acquired at $20. If not $20, I guarantee you they'd be available at $24.
    08-11-13 04:09 AM
    $40? I think $20 would be much more reasonable (and fair). Depends on what the board and major shareholders would deem fair.
    I would definitely settle for $20/s
    08-11-13 04:24 AM
    Debatable.
    Please go ahead. I enjoy civilized debate. What makes you think an I-bank or private equity firm would only get 30-40% of shares outstanding if they offer around the 52 week high? Also, what do you mean when you say the 'share supply' is small?
    08-11-13 01:08 PM
    The "value" of BBRY is falling every day they operate - they are spending cash. The question is how much are they bringing in??? EVERYONE has been AWFUL quite about how Q10, Q5 sales have been and about how the price reductions have affected Z10 sales.

That BlackBerry was looking for a Partner or a Buyer is not new, they have been stating that for over a year. Perma stepping down is new, not sure if it means something real, of if he just wanted to see what would happen if he did.

This is all about Business and Stocks - for us users it is bad news any way you look at it. This kind of news is not something Developers want to hear about a new platform that they are thinking about "investing" in! BBRY can go in the red on their next quarterly report and I'll be fine with it... as long as they increase the BB10 subscriber base significantly! The need to show the PLATFORM is strong and growing, so that it will continue to grow. Then they can worry about how to make a profit and make investors in the stock happy.

That the major investors are looking for a way to "cash out" at this point..
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-12-13 11:36 AM
    08-13-13 10:36 PM