I am running 2.0.1047 and mail on BES. Whenever I open an email from mail account that is on the BES I get the address fields etc then get a number of seconds of the animated wait symbol before the body opens. Does not happen on a gmail email or opening the exchange email a second time. Anyone else seeing this?
    08-08-13 05:37 PM
    I asked for some help for you running 10.2 but no BES, figure a good amount of people with BES won't be running leaks, due to devices not being their property. I am with you on gmail and everything else working great on 10.2.
    08-08-13 06:35 PM
    Obvious question, did you observe similar delays on the officially supported release software before 1047 was loaded?

Your description sounds like something is not downloaded from server until you open and view the message for the first time, and whatever is being retrieved is pretty chunky - or at least big enough to take a few seconds to transfer. Once you have it cached on the phone it is there for the duration and future views will be much faster to open. Check how it performs with a simple test message sent from your computer (don't send to yourself from the phone, it might defeat caching) and try forwarding one of the slow messages to your gmail, see how it behaves when you open that with a different route.

It is also plausible that your BES is using a fairly strong encryption and it takes time for the extra work of decryption when first viewed.
    08-09-13 04:56 AM
    Agreed that is what the behavior suggests. New issue with this build. Other users on same bes and OS not seeing the issue. It also didn't do it when I first upgraded so something changed.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:39 AM
    For whatever reason it isn't bringing down the body till I open a message. If I am not connected to data and I open a message in my inbox it will eventually time out and say it can't open the body. In all my years with a berry I have never seen that kind of behaviour. Must be an active sync thing. I thought I recalled at some point seeing an option for that but not any longer.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 10:55 AM
    It has something to do with roaming as I just landed and connected to home provider and issue is gone.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 02:32 PM
    Could be "smart handling" to minimize roaming data usage. It sounds like roaming status has been detected and only the headers are retrieved until you try to view the content, so spam or other messages you don't need to view immediately don't hit you with extra charges.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    08-11-13 07:23 AM
    Yes that may be but I travel a lot and it's new behavior with 10.2. It makes it very frustrating to use while roaming if you get lots of mail.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 08:44 AM
    OK, remember 1047 is beta-ware not intended for public consumption. Some features are likely to be missing, experimental and incomplete, or simply broken due to mismatched dependencies. That's expected in any beta except the gold release candidate.
    08-11-13 09:08 AM
    Of course! Fyi I am roaming in DC and the behaviour is back.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 07:39 AM
    When using EAS, there is a setting on the Exchange server that dictates as to whether push works when roaming -

It is this one here which in your case must be set to off, "Allow Direct Push When Roaming". That would cause the issue you posted about.

08-12-13 09:00 AM
    I should add that no settings on the server side have changed between me running 10.1 and 10.2. Our admin will check the noted check box though.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:01 PM
    Admin confirmed that the push setting is enabled.

Anyone else roaming with 10.2 and BES 10?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 04:39 PM
    Nobody else seeing this?? I was just in San Fran (roaming) and behavior returned....long pause on every email open. Landed back in Toronto this morning....problem goes away.
    08-29-13 08:06 AM