Generally, I don't use my phones as MP3 players because the sound quality is often appalling. However, there's a promotion here in the Netherlands that gives you a free 64GB MicroSD card when purchasing a BlackBerry so that made me try the Q10 as an MP3 player. I must say, I'm quite surprised with the sound quality of the headphone output!

I hooked up my fairly expensive Westone 3 in-ear and was a bit disappointed at first because the highs didn't sound really clear (as if there's some sort of filter on it). But when I got used to that I noticed there's a lot of detail in the sound, great dynamics and practically no noise. What a difference compared to my Bold 9700!

It's hard to find information about the (lack of) audiophile quality in phones, so this thread serves to get the word out there that the Blackberry Q10 is not all bad when it comes to hi-fi audio performance.

What are your expeeriences with the audio quality of the Q10?
    08-08-13 02:33 AM
    I can't seem to find any information about Q10's DAC but if it was Z10's Qualcomm WCD9310 audiocodec, then it sounds fairly great. I suggest downloading "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc - Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening" as a lossless audio file (preferably FLAC) and play it back on your Q10 and listen through your IEM. That recording is great for evaluating different aspects of audio reproduction.
    08-08-13 03:46 AM
    Ah the WCD9310 seems to get some quite positive reviews indeed. I would almost assume the Q10 uses the same DAC. I'm glad the impression I got through my ears is backed up by the specifications of the device and that I wasn't blinded by my love for the BlackBerry
    08-08-13 04:17 AM
    I can't say that I'm an audiophile since as of now, I don't have the equipments yet. But I'm an audiophile by heart and planning to get a decent audio setup as time goes by. The WCD9310 might not be on par with other hi-fi DACs, but on casual listening, it's fun and paired with a nicely ripped audio file (a -V 2 MP3 ripped from an original CD, FLAC, AAC Q0.50, etc.) and a decent IEM/headphone, it's superb.
    08-08-13 05:06 AM
    I find them ok but nothing special. The old premiums sound better for me and are more comfortable.
    08-08-13 05:09 AM
    Generally, I don't use my phones as MP3 players because the sound quality is often appalling. However, there's a promotion here in the Netherlands that gives you a free 64GB MicroSD card when purchasing a BlackBerry so that made me try the Q10 as an MP3 player. I must say, I'm quite surprised with the sound quality of the headphone output!

I hooked up my fairly expensive Westone 3 in-ear and was a bit disappointed at first because the highs didn't sound really clear (as if there's some sort of filter on it). But when I got used to that I noticed there's a lot of detail in the sound, great dynamics and practically no noise. What a difference compared to my Bold 9700!

It's hard to find information about the (lack of) audiophile quality in phones, so this thread serves to get the word out there that the Blackberry Q10 is not all bad when it comes to hi-fi audio performance.

I'm even more particular as I stream my music via a bluetooth stereo dongle. Using the proper in-ear headset is just as important for audio quality in music. I have tries a couple of different quality in-era headsets with inline and mic.

Jays +ones
    Skull candy 50/50
    Kliscph s4i II
    Dr. Dre urbeats
    Monster DNA in-ear
    Coloud in-ear

All are made with the flat cable tangle free design have decent drivers, frequency response, dB, with good highs mids lows and base without distortion.

My bluetooth device is the Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth stereo device also designed for better sound.

Ps>the new premium headset that comes with the new q10 with flat cable are terrible for sound quality.

Posted in CB forums and on Bbos leak 10.2.1047
    08-09-13 04:36 AM
    Doesn't the Bluetooth dongle add an extra layer of compression? I can't imagine they stream 44.1/16 PCM wirelessly.
    08-09-13 09:32 AM
    Doesn't the Bluetooth dongle add an extra layer of compression? I can't imagine they stream 44.1/16 PCM wirelessly.
    That's a great question but practical stand point, it's pretty clear. I'm really liking the skullcandy 50/50's. Got em also onsale at 45$ off.

08-09-13 01:44 PM
    The music is highly compressed if you use the MW600. I own one and I think it is ok for the subway or running but I like the sound through my portable amp a lot more!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 04:03 PM
    I think the sound quality is good, but the output strength (volume) isn't very high. Sometimes I like music loud, and it's seriously lacking compared to my ancient iPhone 1 (now used solely as an iPod).

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 04:12 PM
    I find them ok but nothing special. The old premiums sound better for me and are more comfortable.
    Agreed! Other than the flat cable design the new premium headset is horrible for sound quality. And yes the previous in -ear premiums by BlackBerry were better!

08-09-13 07:06 PM
    The music is highly compressed if you use the MW600. I own one and I think it is ok for the subway or running but I like the sound through my portable amp a lot more!

Posted via CB10
    Yes their is quite a bit of compression. BUT the beauty of sony bluetooth stereo devices is that the latency is low so audio quality is reasonably clear. It really doesn't matter what headset you use but the ones included in the mw600 package is good with the mw600's. A higher end headset plugged right in produces much better range without the faint (white noise effect with some innears) that you get with some low quality in-ear headsets.

Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 08-10-13 at 12:54 PM.
    08-10-13 04:31 AM

Wow that's a pretty great offer.!

Sent from my SGH-I957R using CB Forums mobile app
    08-10-13 12:49 PM