Hi all,

I was in the states last week and decided to try out the Roam Mobility SIM card on my unlocked Q10.

Everything worked flawlessly (changed APN to 'Roam') in regards to receiving data on my phone, texting and talk. However, when I tried to hotspot my phone so that I could get data on my tablet, it asks me to activate it.

When I click continue (to activate my hotspot), I get a 500 error.

I don't believe it is the phone because I am able to hotspot on my Canadian carrier (Fido) without any issues. It has never asked my to 'activate' my hotspot (that I can recall). Regardless, hotspoting was not working on the Roam Mobility network for some reason.

Yes, I tried resetting my phone (soft and hard, pulling sim, etc.). Yes, I called the Roam Mobility folks and they tried their best to help by resetting the data settings on my account, reprovisioning my sim, etc. They couldn't solve the issue either. And according to them, they don't block any type of tethering on their network.

I'm back in Canada now and needless to say, was unable to hotspot anything but I have to say that Roam Mobility's customer service was excellent and with the exception of being unable to hotspot, I would still recommend them for and Canadians going to the States.

Does anyone have any ideas on why I might not have been able to get my hotspot working? Have any OS10 users out there encountered what I did?

Thanks for any help (unfortunately, not in the States anymore so won't be able to test any potential solutions).
    Attached Thumbnails Roam Mobility - HotSpot Issue, Asked to Activate-img_00000410.png   Roam Mobility - HotSpot Issue, Asked to Activate-img_00000411.png  
    Last edited by Lindersss; 08-08-13 at 05:12 PM.
    08-07-13 11:13 PM
    Here in the US some carriers require you to pay an extra fee for hotspot. That is probably the issue. Give the carrier a call or look them up on the internet to find out if they are charging for this and how to setup. If you can't get the BB to activate, the carrier can probably do it.
    08-08-13 08:30 AM
    Here in the US some carriers require you to pay an extra fee for hotspot. That is probably the issue. Give the carrier a call or look them up on the internet to find out if they are charging for this and how to setup. If you can't get the BB to activate, the carrier can probably do it.
    The carrier was Roam Mobility who uses T-Mobile's network. I did call them. And according to them, T-Mobile (through them) do not block any hotspotting. I spoke to one person on the phone and another through email. They could not figure out the issue and directed me to call BlackBerry directly.
    08-08-13 05:18 PM
    I tried Roaming Hotspot on my unlocked Z10 purchased from BB and it told me that Roaming Tethering was not allowed due to carrier restrictions.

I put the same sim card into the carrier locked Bell Samsung S3 and sure enough roaming tethering works connected to AT&T.

BB should spend more time making the customers happy and less time making the carriers happy.
    Warios likes this.
    09-23-13 09:18 AM
    I agree

Posted via CB10
    Bobwheel likes this.
    09-23-13 10:35 AM
    And clearly on my example with a Bell Phone that the Carrier does allow Roaming Tethering it's just the BB Software on my Z10 that will not.

and there is no way around it except to go back to using my S3.
    09-24-13 10:28 AM
    This just happened to me on my Z10. I wish I had checked CrackBerry before leaving town. The good news is that I only bought time for 24h. Back to Tmobile I go for the rest of the week. If I cant use the hotspot feature, I might as well just go with the cheaper rate.
    Another irritation is being on hold for Roam customer service, which is now closed..
    05-14-14 11:11 PM
    I am using the hotspot now in the USA. There are new settings from Roam to get LTE. However it will only work if you make a phone call at the same time. I discovered this because I was on the line with tech support and it started working. I have now tried this 3 different times. If I try to start the hotspot it does not work. I make a call to my CDN cell # and then while on the call I can start the hotspot. Everybody should try it.
    bigboy101 likes this.
    10-17-14 12:13 PM
    Did you have to stay on the call to keep the hotspot alive for the duration of your WiFi usage OR was the connection just required to start-up the hotspot?
    11-14-14 09:58 AM
    Making the call then turning on the hotspot worked the entire time I was in the USA. Once you turn the hotspot on, I did hang up the phone call.
    bigboy101 likes this.
    12-20-14 04:36 PM
    The phone call method works. The other side doesn't even need to pick up. It just needs to ring. Works on the Passport.
    12-27-14 03:00 PM
    @hjkmgb oddly enough I think you might be right. I had tried it multiple times and it would never work then while I was on a call to tech support I tried it so I could tell them the error message and it worked. Another suggest that works as well is if you go into settings and change "network mode" to "4G & 3G & 2G" it works as well. The only thing I have found with this is that occasionally it will change back to "4G LTE & 4G/3G & 2G" by itself sometimes, but not a big deal now that I know how to fix.
    03-16-15 03:08 PM