BlackBerry, the world is becoming more modern with use of smartphones. You've done a great job carrying the industry and business into the modern world by compressing our data saving us a magnitude of overage costs especially when roaming!

You've given us a fantastic new platform yet I feel its like having one hand in the air and a foot in the ground at times.

People are now sharing twice as much data on or smartphones than ever before! Media consumption is a big part of this. Pictures & video are much larger due to having great cameras, our ability to zip files natively on BB10 isn't compressing data as it should, plus our BBM groups are becoming ever more diverse. Music tracks are larger in size as tracks are longer than before as well as higher quality bit rates are more preferred (AAC 320kbps).

Please remove the 6MB sending over BBM/PIN limit, please. I can't even send one of my tracks for a friend to listen to anymore, nor some of the videos I've recorded. Ios used to have such restrictions yet no longer does. Common BlackBerry time to.move with modern trends and fast.

PS: stop firing employees and listen to the ideas they being that van benefit the companies bottom line!!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 06:15 AM
    Yes remove the limit..

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 06:27 AM
    BlackBerry, the world is becoming more modern with use of smartphones. You've done a great job carrying the industry and business into the modern world by compressing our data saving us a magnitude of overage costs especially when roaming!

You've given us a fantastic new platform yet I feel its like having one hand in the air and a foot in the ground at times.

People are now sharing twice as much data on or smartphones than ever before! Media consumption is a big part of this. Pictures & video are much larger due to having great cameras, our ability to zip files natively on BB10 isn't compressing data as it should, plus our BBM groups are becoming ever more diverse. Music tracks are larger in size as tracks are longer than before as well as higher quality bit rates are more preferred (AAC 320kbps).

Please remove the 6MB sending over BBM/PIN limit, please. I can't even send one of my tracks for a friend to listen to anymore, nor some of the videos I've recorded. Ios used to have such restrictions yet no longer does. Common BlackBerry time to.move with modern trends and fast.

PS: stop firing employees and listen to the ideas they being that van benefit the companies bottom line!!

Posted via CB10
    Well, actually you can share those big files as well. Simply use Dropbox or Box or any other cloud-based services, which also does not limit the users to any platform used on the smartphone.
    Then, as long as you are within the limits of your email service provider, you can always email those files, which I personally do not approve (unnecessary traffic increase, and some smartphones automatically download the attachments whether you want it, or nor).

I can see a perfect sense for Blackberry not to allow the big attachments over BBM. AFAIR BBM messages still go through BB servers. Make this transfer of big files possible, one problem would be the massive overload of the servers, second be the potential problem with the illegal content being sent between users.

And the last part: your comment about stopping of people being let go... I think you just went too far here. And I strongly believe that if Blackberry could have avoided the reduction of staff, they would have done it.
    Anonymous94587689 likes this.
    08-07-13 08:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    100% agree

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 08:23 AM
    Well, actually you can share those big files as well. Simply use Dropbox or Box or any other cloud-based services, which also does not limit the users to any platform used on the smartphone.
    Then, as long as you are within the limits of your email service provider, you can always email those files, which I personally do not approve (unnecessary traffic increase, and some smartphones automatically download the attachments whether you want it, or nor).

I can see a perfect sense for Blackberry not to allow the big attachments over BBM. AFAIR BBM messages still go through BB servers. Make this transfer of big files possible, one problem would be the massive overload of the servers, second be the potential problem with the illegal content being sent between users.

And the last part: your comment about stopping of people being let go... I think you just went too far here. And I strongly believe that if Blackberry could have avoided the reduction of staff, they would have done it.
    Using Dropbox or Box can suffice ... however then it's a two stage step process ... this goes against my work/thinking habits and against BlackBerry's as well - to get something done doesn't mean going through another medium to do it. If you want it done right then its the direct root not the third party. Your suggestion means I'd have to take a 6MB+ file(s if zipped) upload them over WLAN/3G/LTE (you talked about overloading servers yet failed to understand or contemplate over use of $$ for end users) to DropBox/Box.net ... then to email it to the recipient??

Not efficient, nor cost effective - especially over carriers data channels - not everyone has unlimited data plans fewer each month do actually as providers are getting rid of such plans and even no longer grandfathering. There is nothing legally binding in USA/Canada/UK to grandfather a plan if no longer offered.

BlackBerry has been compressing data traffic for billions of messages per day - PER DAY! This is over years and even still against your rebuttal, BIS users have dropped by 2.4 million beginning this quarter, probably double by today (lame guess I know). My point is BB has a huge fibre optic network and a global network of servers all working together to have BBM running a very stable and redundant inter network behind their firewalls with/out cellular providers GGSN's. All the major outages they've experienced had to do with changes made internally, not with respect to data payload. I can only imagine how many Riverbeds BlackBerry has had running over the past decade or even much more. If you understand what Riverbeds do ... the network will do quite well on it's own average peak bandwidth usage shouldn't go over 50% per hour, per day, in any region.

Their going to have to adapt sometime soon, because there is no such limits on the competitions offerings Google+/iMessage. Should a major hardware upgrade cost be required - I'll bet it's already been looked at considering BBM Channels, BBM Video/Voice will grow in usage exponentially come Christmas 2013 with multi-platform launch of such services. If it don't make dollars ... it don't make sense. Right now THIS would make dollars through an appeal of the platform thus sales.

My last comment of letting people go ... is warranted. Many of RIM's former employees are highly educated and talented dedicated employees ... they don't hire just any harry/d*ck/tom and if they do, you're getting an education as part of their mantra. If you really think BlackBerry could have avoided the reduction of staff, they would have done it; what do you think they've been doing for the past several years? Too often the board, investors, and executives for so many companies react to dwindling revenues/profits by firing staff first - not considering untapped talent.
    08-08-13 05:08 PM
    Simple solution...you should be able to turn that feature on or off.

Posted via CB10
    Undbiter65 likes this.
    08-08-13 05:15 PM
    Just get rid of it and give admins the power to include it on the work side.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-08-13 05:22 PM
    I tried to send some vector logos to someone zipped and it failed. Kinda disappointed.
    08-08-13 05:35 PM
    Simple solution...you should be able to turn that feature on or off.

Posted via CB10
    Perfect solution. BBM could give you what the file is(ex music, picture, video) and tell you the size of the file. The recipient could choose whether or not he wants to download

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-08-13 05:35 PM
    I don't think they should make it "limitless", but 6mb is pretty low.
    BBPandy likes this.
    08-08-13 05:39 PM
    Lift the 6 mb limit and allow pics and file transfers while in group chat. Love this feature on whatsApp

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    08-08-13 09:20 PM
    Perfect solution. BBM could give you what the file is(ex music, picture, video) and tell you the size of the file. The recipient could choose whether or not he wants to download

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    Excellent suggestion ... excellent!!

Lift the 6 mb limit and allow pics and file transfers while in group chat. Love this feature on whatsApp

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    You can already transfer pics in group chats ... but I believe you're referring to the limit on 6MB. Some phones with high resolution cameras have larger than 6MB for pictures with no editing or compression (like jpg does directly on the sensor for most cameras). Some users take and save pictures from their SLRs to MicroSD and then on their BB devices wishing to send the content to family and friends across the country or world.

You cannot honestly market phones globally and then limit users from using them to share content on a global scale ... should I wish to save a pro camera image onto MicroSD and share to family in Jamaica for them to save and print they cannot. I couldn't do this without gmail 15yrs ago and I'm STILL limited from doing this today without gmail - because YMAIL/Yahoo Mail/Outlook/Hotmail/icloud.com email/etc does NOT allow me to send multiple pictures totalling more than 10MB attachment size. So I spend a LOT of time deciding which pictures of my son when he was a baby to them in which order.
    08-09-13 11:22 AM
    this 6mb limit is causing people not want to leave whatsapp for bbm...you need to be able to compete with the leaders else you are shooting yourself in the foot, first impression last a long time. Ive struggled to convince users to switch with limitations like this, 6mb is tiny with todays figures blackberry needs to embrace fast changing trends and build up their core infrastructure, host the storage on cheap sata disk provide flash cache for fast buffering and de-duplication at back end storage..
    10-25-13 10:00 PM
    agree its annoying to have to exit the current group chat window just to send pics or files, simple concept and not hard to do!
    10-25-13 10:02 PM
    I think they should lose the 6mb limit as well. I get that we have cloud storage solutions but it is just so much easier to send the file directly to someone.
    10-25-13 10:09 PM
    On WhatsApp limit is 16MB and BlackBerry is better so they should move limit on, at least, 20MB
    02-24-14 04:34 AM