Didnt someone say theres no place for tablets?

http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/08/06/forrester-tablets/

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:35 AM
    Not surprising. I'd be surprised if they got anything right.
    08-06-13 07:01 AM
    Not surprising. I'd be surprised if they got anything right.
    If he keep repeating it, it will happen someday.
    08-06-13 07:03 AM
    Tablets will die except for windows surface.
    Because it is the device that same or work as desktop pc or laptop.

Unlike android tablets, ipad, or anything else.

Posted via CB10
    PTZ likes this.
    08-06-13 07:12 AM
    No problem. In 2018, five years from now, Tablets will completely implode as Thor predicted. But until that time Rim will have missed the bus for 4+ years. They will have completely missed the bus. They will continue to miss the bus. They will have been run over by the bus. The speeding bus will never even notice them!
    08-06-13 09:08 AM
    No problem. In 2018, five years from now, Tablets will completely implode as Thor predicted. But until that time Rim will have missed the bus for 4+ years. They will have completely missed the bus. They will continue to miss the bus. They will have been run over by the bus. The speeding bus will never even notice them!
    Amen brother!
    They missed the boat on smartphones and now tables.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 08-06-13 at 09:38 AM.
    08-06-13 09:26 AM
    When it comes to tablets and BlackBerry the adjective " abysmal " comes to mind. I still like my PlayBook but if I stop to consider for a minute what all in the way of failure that it represents, it is shocking. The company came so close to hitting one out of the ballpark early in the game and then they just gave up. I wonder what kind of guy this Thor guy is? He is about as dynamic and inspiring as a mortician at an old folks home. Ya, I think they got it wrong.
    08-06-13 02:00 PM
    When it comes to tablets and BlackBerry the adjective " abysmal " comes to mind. I still like my PlayBook but if I stop to consider for a minute what all in the way of failure that it represents, it is shocking. The company came so close to hitting one out of the ballpark early in the game and then they just gave up. I wonder what kind of guy this Thor guy is? He is about as dynamic and inspiring as a mortician at an old folks home. Ya, I think they got it wrong.
    I think it was doomed by marked forces, same as the Amiga. The company blundered for sure but did it matter, really? You say you like your Playbook. They did not blunder on the Playbook; it is a very nice tablet. But the market forces from Apple and Google were too much.
    08-06-13 03:02 PM
    Maybe Rim got it wrong about tablets and the future?
    Personally I think they primarily got it wrong about tablets and the past. But that's just me, I'm afraid
    08-06-13 03:13 PM
    It was nothing more than a CEO posturing about a segment his management team has/had determined they cannot currently compete in. I doubt he believed that himself LOL.

I don't begrudge him the need to make that proclamation.
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    08-06-13 03:16 PM
    They did not blunder on the Playbook; it is a very nice tablet. But the market forces from Apple and Google were too much.
    Sorry dude, can't agree here. I say this as someone who quite likes the PlayBook and thought it had really nice hardware and a nice start to an OS when it launched in 2011. I think they blundered many things on the PlayBook at launch. Here are a few:

- They released it with the software half finished. No email. No calendar. No contacts. no BBM. All things people liked about BlackBerry.

- They priced it at the same price as the market leader, but without the apps and with a 7" screen.

- They took a long time to fill in many of those pieces and some were never filled in (like BBM)

- They launched it with techno-nerd commercials that talked about Flash and multi-tasking that the average consumer couldn't get.

Maybe if they had waited a couple of months and launched it with 2.0 at a $349 price point and had commercials like before the emergence of really serious Android competition, they would have had a toe-hold. But they rushed it out the door and then never caught up.

Even if they came out with a new tablet now, who would buy at the price they could afford to sell it at?
    PTZ, brianatbb, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    08-06-13 03:22 PM
    Reminds me when a founder and past CEO of RIM said we don't need mp3 players or cameras on a cell phone.

Thor=Mini-Mike L.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 03:25 PM
    I work as a nurse at one of the largest hospitals in Canada. Yesterday we were talking about the future plans for documenting patient care. Apparently the hospital has been working towards more computers and electronic documentation for years, but it has to be implemented slowly to ensure we get it right. And there is definitely more electronic documenting to come!

We all agreed that tablets in general could be a huge part of the solution. So it is unfortunate that Blackberry is not investing in them.

The two hopes that I have are: 1. Blackberry will change their mind and come out with a non-phone version of a large Z10 that would function like a stand-alone tablet. 2. Blackberry is working on a dummy tablet (i.e. terminal) that would use local servers to power office computing.
    FF22 and dmlis like this.
    08-06-13 03:25 PM
    Rimm... Wrong??? The hell you say...
    FF22 and RJB55 like this.
    08-06-13 08:20 PM
    I think it was doomed by marked forces, same as the Amiga. The company blundered for sure but did it matter, really? You say you like your Playbook. They did not blunder on the Playbook; it is a very nice tablet. But the market forces from Apple and Google were too much.
    Market forces my azz. Marketing forces maybe most people out there don't even know BlackBerry made a table.
    08-06-13 09:25 PM
    Reminds me when a founder and past CEO of RIM said we don't need mp3 players or cameras on a cell phone.

Thor=Mini-Mike L.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    Wasn't that quote attributed go Jim? Also, given that the Pearl and Curve (their original consumer devices) had them in 2006, I can't imagine they were too serious with that quote

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 09:39 PM
    Thor made that statement because he knows that any BlackBerry branded tablet for the near term future would be a consumer failure because of the failure/baggage of the PlayBook, and the way the company completely botched that venture from start to now the finish. Saying that the Tablet market will be dead is just an excuse to investors about why they aren't going to try again even though the above is the real reason.
    08-07-13 08:07 AM
    If BlackBerry puts out a new tablet called "The Bus" then Thor could dismiss your whole post.
    I thought it was funny
    08-07-13 08:26 AM
    . . . Rim will have missed the bus for 4+ years. They will have completely missed the bus. They will continue to miss the bus. They will have been run over by the bus. The speeding bus will never even notice them!
    Sounds like the Swiss Army Knife of buses.
    08-07-13 09:44 AM
    Rimm... Wrong??? The hell you say...
    Yes I too was shocked at the thought that this was possible.

Well played.
    dmlis and FF22 like this.
    08-07-13 09:56 AM
    Or may be RIM got it wrong with CEO...
    FF22 likes this.
    08-08-13 11:57 AM
    if they think big screen phones are the future, they should stop making phones like Q10

Tablet is a great sidekick for Q10 like device, it provides entertainment without killing your phone's battery.
    dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    08-09-13 01:08 AM
    I own a PB but got it at $199 1.5 years ago. I can see why it's a failure. It still seems half-baked to me. Especially with my new 5"-screen Android phone. 7" is just sort of pointless. But 10" is too much. I'd like to see ~8.5" tablets.

Let's face it, 7" tablets are essentially toys with one exception. You can't do any work on them whatsoever, and they're not big enough to be of much use for watching movies, writing emails, or even long-term web browsing. The only non-toy use is if you're in a mobile situation and need to reference data without carrying around a bunch of paperwork, then they are useful. But that's very specific and probably not 1 in 100 people who buy a tablet are going to use them for that.

And this brings me to my point: if 7" tablets are essentially toys, and your app store sucks, there goes the use of your tablet. RIM's app store is abysmal and will likely always be that way. Any normal consumer who buys a PB and then goes looking for fun and interesting things to do on it will be sorely disappointed.
    brianatbb likes this.
    08-09-13 03:38 PM
    It was nothing more than a CEO posturing about a segment his management team has/had determined they cannot currently compete in. I doubt he believed that himself LOL.

I don't begrudge him the need to make that proclamation.
    This is absolutely the best, most accurate and shortest way to put it. top marks to you sir!
    08-09-13 04:40 PM