Hi, cant get the gps to find satelites or anything for that matter. Anyone got any ideas?

Al (England)...
    08-06-13 02:27 AM
    1. Check that Location Services (or whatever it is called in that version) is actually enabled. Look through Settings until you find it... they always seem to bury the GPS stuff several menus down
    2. Give the GPS plenty of time with a clear view of plenty of sky to find the satellites. One of the annoying facts of GPS life is that on first startup the receiver has to download the satellite almanac and ephemeris data, which can take up to about 30-40 minutes, and if the signal is lost in that time it's usually a full retry on the next satellite found.
    3. I have no idea where it is hidden in your OS, but in most versions there is a hardware self test function hidden in the Status screen. With the Device Status screen displayed type TEST (nothing will display until the last character) then explore to find the GPS test item.
    Bit more info. Useing a 9790 which was originally locked to vodafone, been unlocked and reset to factory settings. I've put an Orange (EE) sim card in and everything works fine apart from gps. bb maps and google maps work fine apart from they can't find my location, please help.

Al (England)...
    08-06-13 04:30 AM
    1. Check that Location Services (or whatever it is called in that version) is actually enabled. Look through Settings until you find it... they always seem to bury the GPS stuff several menus down
    2. Give the GPS plenty of time with a clear view of plenty of sky to find the satellites. One of the annoying facts of GPS life is that on first startup the receiver has to download the satellite almanac and ephemeris data, which can take up to about 30-40 minutes, and if the signal is lost in that time it's usually a full retry on the next satellite found.
    3. I have no idea where it is hidden in your OS, but in most versions there is a hardware self test function hidden in the Status screen. With the Device Status screen displayed type TEST (nothing will display until the last character) then explore to find the GPS test item.
    08-06-13 04:37 AM
    Cheers, took a while to sort out my way through the menu's, but found everything and now I know where I am.
    Big thanks.

Al (England)...
    08-06-13 07:47 AM
    hi, my phone does not show any GPS satellites and when running the hardware test it fails. please help I'm using BB 9800 on the latest software
    07-09-14 08:40 AM