On 10.2.0.1047 -

I can't add any type of EAS account, which are my business (Exchange) and Hotmail accounts. I always get a "Unterminated string starting at: line 1 column 120 (char 120)" message. The column number and line number can change depending on which account I add, then the error appears a few seconds after the next button is pressed.

G-mail (IMAP) works fine.

I have reloaded the device software 3-4 times now, done security wipes. and re-downloaded the Autoloader...all to no avail. I'm on STL100-3 and have of course used the appropriate f/w as well.

Seems others here are able to load EAS and Hotmail accounts, but I can't. Have tried using WiFi and Mobile networks, but nothing works.

From what I can see in this OS, I realy want to use it, but until I can get my EAS accounts up and running, won't be able to...
    08-05-13 11:23 AM
    wow that is odd. I setup 2 hotmail/outlook accounts without issue. You arent on BES or anything?
    08-05-13 11:44 AM
    No - I'm not...can't figure out why this is happening either. I have spent 2 days working on it.
    08-05-13 11:49 AM
    Got the same error. Removed a special character from my account password and signed in just fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 01:53 PM
    I also had this issue as well. I had to login from the web and change the password from my Hotmail account and then try it on the device (with the new password) and wala it began functioning as it should. I currently have 2-hotmail accounts on the device.
    08-06-13 02:01 PM
    If you have a backup of your settings, just restore those and it should be good to go. Otherwise, I had issues with this as well.
    08-06-13 02:28 PM
    Had the same problem.
    I did a security wipe, reinstalled, same pb. Waited a few hours and the pb disappeared like it had to settle down.

Posted with 2 fingers only
    08-06-13 05:49 PM
    I don't backup because there's no real benefit doing so (for me) and with crappy BBLINK, you end up restoring the crap and bad data you backup through Link. I use EAS and all of my e-mail accounts repopulate fully to the oldest e-mail on the servers, as well as contacts/ memo's / calendar, etc. I can deal with having to recreate the few bookmarks I have in my browser and the few word substitutions I use as well, I would rather start clean each time I reload an OS!

I had no clue that the special characters might be the issue, but that's an easy fix for me, so off I go to try! I will post back here with the results.
    08-06-13 09:11 PM
    My work account has special characters and it worked but hopefully its the fix for you to remove them
    08-06-13 09:45 PM
    It worked out perfectly! The special characters were %& @ I wasn't sure which one it was, so I changed them all and will attempt to change the password on our domain and see what the Z10 does. It's probably only one of those that's the offensive character. This is no doubt a bug in this OS, and I'm sure they will get around to making it right!

Thanks for the heads up all - I couldn't be happier!
    Elty Aguiar likes this.
    08-06-13 09:54 PM
    sounds pretty severe. Try and delete the accounts, and re-add it, using the "Other" email account type, even if it provides "hotmail" as a type of email account.

oops.. I see you resolved it, oh well, that above recommendation may help others.
    08-06-13 10:22 PM
    It worked out perfectly! The special characters were %& @ I wasn't sure which one it was, so I changed them all and will attempt to change the password on our domain and see what the Z10 does. It's probably only one of those that's the offensive character. This is no doubt a bug in this OS, and I'm sure they will get around to making it right!

Thanks for the heads up all - I couldn't be happier!
    wow hopefully they fix this bug because some places require the use of special characters.
    08-06-13 10:27 PM
    Mine was &. I'm almost certain it was the cause.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 11:09 PM
    I changed the password back to the original one with the special characters. I rebooted my Z10 to make it reestablish the connection. It does not ask for the new password, but that's also a setting you can change in EAS on Exchange...

I seem to remember that when that setting is turned off, it will not require device passwords, except for account activations. That would explain why most who backed up and restored and had perhaps the special characters as I do, didn't have the problem I had.

Hotmail is an EAS account - as well as any Exchange account. I have the same password for Gmail (IMAP) as I do for my enterprise account and Gmail didn't have an issue during the activation.

The bug would only rear its ugly head during an account activation from what I can see.
    08-06-13 11:15 PM
    So today, Hotmail stopped working, but warned me because I had changed the password back to my original one, the one that I was unable to sign up with. As I suspected however, the change-password screen is NOT the same as the account creation screen, and when I enter the original password that I was unable to create the account with, it worked in the change-password screen!

So the workaround, if you want to use the password that doesn't work in the account creation screen, is to change the password to something without the offending special characters, then change it back.

EDIT: I've narrowed down the special character issue to one character, and it's the &

All the other ones I had, which were @% - are ok!
    Last edited by FBA; 08-07-13 at 08:25 PM.
    08-07-13 08:07 PM
    I can confirm this as well. I was having the same issue and just now found this thread, big thanks to all who replied!

The only special character in my password was '&', and everything worked fine once I changed it. Strange bug indeed.
    08-15-13 06:14 AM
    I can confirm this as well. I was having the same issue and just now found this thread, big thanks to all who replied!

The only special character in my password was '&', and everything worked fine once I changed it. Strange bug indeed.
    So, technically, in making our passwords less secure, the system will work!
    08-15-13 06:27 AM
    On my Z10 browser crashes everytime

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 01:38 PM
    So, technically, in making our passwords less secure, the system will work!
    It's only a bug and it will be addressed by official release date. It has probably already been addressed in a later version we haven't yet tested.

And FWIW, there are plenty of other special characters that you can use which make it even more secure...so your point is moot. Also, if you read about how I addressed the issue and kept the & as part of the password, you would realize it's really not the end of the world.

I doubt your password is anything remotely close to the complexity of the ones I use in any case, so it's quite likely that you're less secure than you actually could be, and you don't have to use the & character either.
    moyah8 likes this.
    08-16-13 12:18 AM

Because the "&" character has a special meaning in Unix and Unix-like operating systems (it sends the current process into the background) it's possible that they had a default list of disallowed characters but created a regression error at some point by not making an allowance for that in password strings.

Someone should probably report and escalate this with them and see if they will create a bug case for it.

Maybe I'll test it out on one of my EAS accounts and do it myself.
    08-18-13 05:31 AM
    Well, the latest leak in 10.2 has another special character issue...which may be the @ or the % key, not sure which. I had to change my password again as it kept telling me I had bad login credentials. That's a different issue from 10.2.0.1047, but it's still an issue.
    08-19-13 06:39 AM
    I wish I had a way to generate a timed reminder about a thread even if no one posts a new post to it.

I want to try to remember to bring this issue up on some official channel w/ BBRY but I've just been too busy this week to bother so far.
    08-22-13 03:03 AM