I'm an android user! Frustrated and looking for any sort of alternative.

I'm torn between picking the Z10 or a Lumia 925. There's literally a $3 difference between both handsets (the 925 being the more expensive of the two).

My Motorola is exceedingly complicated, and even listening to music or sending a text is an arduous and irritating mission.
    I mostly use my phone for photos, messaging, music, and editing office documents.

I love the design of the 925, but I have my reservations about battery life and apps on wp8.
    On the other hand, from what I've heard BB10 has excellent battery life, and lets you install android apps? Spec wise and price wise there isnt much separating the two handsets.

Is there anything that really makes the Z10 stand out? Is BB10 easier to use than Android (I'm really hoping it is.)? Is the new blackberry as reliable as the old OS6/7 phones? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

08-02-13 08:08 AM
    it will let you install android apps but so you know this going in you have to side load them by repackaging .apk files into .bars in a converter and install them on your phone manually, you cant just use the play store or download an apk file directly and even then a percentage of the apps dont work or run well but that should be improved slightly in the os 10.2 which has an updated android player

honestly im not sure as i find both operating systems very easy to use so ill leave that to others to answer, how are you having difficulty sending a text message or using you music app?

the battery life of the z10 varies, some people report 4 hours and some report 12 - 16

windows phone has more native apps than blackberry 10
    glenixtr15 and ankush77 like this.
    08-02-13 08:14 AM
    I don't know about "easier" but it's just a different way of looking at an OS. There is no home button on the Z10. Everything is manuverable by swipes and gestures. The hub is fan-friggin-tastic for organizing your notifications and quickly composing messages. However, incoming notifications leave a bit to be desired as opposed to the notification bar/tray in Android.

Are you able to go to a carrier store and play around with one? Before you go, make a list of features that are important to you and look those up on the Z10.
    08-02-13 08:15 AM
    What stands out in a handset really depends on your preferences basically. In my opinion Z10's keyboard is way better than that of android or WP. So it's great for texting. Email is another BlackBerry's forte. You could compare the music players on both these devices to match your preferences. BB10 is fairly easy to navigate once you get to know your way around the OS. WP is a bit dull Imo. I've had one for a few months and back then the OS was laggy with many bugs. Battery life can be major influence on your decision so do a bit of research on that before you buy.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:16 AM
    I have my Z10 for four months an find it very easy to use, thanks to the unique gesture based user interface (I hated "back" button on androids). My battery lasts on average 1.5 days (up to twp days with light use). Both Windows and BB phones lack some apps, but with BB you are able to side-load may android apps as you said.
    And yes - I find BB's very well built and reliable, so go for it!
    08-02-13 08:20 AM
    honestly im not sure as i find both operating systems very easy to use so ill leave that to others to answer, how are you having difficulty sending a text message or using you music app?
    Like, for example. My phone has no native sync client or music player. It uses the buggy Google Play Music, and this cannot be changed. The app crashes frequently, the controls disappear, and whenever you drag and drop tracks onto the phone, it only recognizes them correctly 50% of the time.
    That and it frequently throws up a 'Sorry this track couldn't be played right now.' error every few songs, even though they play fine in my flip phone. THat and it shoves Google+ Music down your throat. I for one don't want to start draining my battery faster, and using more of my internet cap to play songs that I already own. In every aspect of the experience it is frustrating.
    In comparison, the BB10 music player is very straightforward with it's navigation from what I understand.

Texting is a whole other story. Android's autocorrect is an abomination.
    08-02-13 08:46 AM
    I wouldn't say it's easier or harder but it's a different way of thinking. Once you learn the main gestures you're pretty much there. There's only a few and they make sense. Hub peek, settings pull or back button, sidebar peek and closing apps. If it's mostly for communication, it's the most efficient for it. Email, text, GB, Twitter are all in one place. If there' one thing that BlackBerry does well and does better than the other OSes, not argument is communication. battery is average.

I can say this, everything can be conveniently accessed so, learning will be quick. I think that's what makes Android so hard to use, you never know where anything is and it's scattered. I can't say anything about WP, haven't used it. But you can still grab the BlackBerry OS and instantly know what to do as long as you know the gestures.
    08-02-13 08:46 AM
    I don't know about "easier" but it's just a different way of looking at an OS. There is no home button on the Z10. Everything is manuverable by swipes and gestures. The hub is fan-friggin-tastic for organizing your notifications and quickly composing messages. However, incoming notifications leave a bit to be desired as opposed to the notification bar/tray in Android.

Are you able to go to a carrier store and play around with one? Before you go, make a list of features that are important to you and look those up on the Z10.
    Sadly, I'm in Australia and there aren't any working Z10's in the retail stores over here.

I think the gesture system is a lot more straight forward. Android is never very clear just whats going to happen because every button on the interface has about 50 different functions. I would consider easier to use, if it allowed me to get where I'm going with less clicks, context menus and dialog boxes. Changing the brightness is a 10 step process.
    08-02-13 08:51 AM
    Depends on the usage, I think it becomes easier on a daily basis... I'm still getting used to Hub but I really like it!
    08-02-13 09:16 AM
    It all comes down to preference. Try a Z10 or Q for a week or two. I find the Z really simple and functional. Android felt a little contrived for me and IOS just wouldn't do what I needed.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633
    08-02-13 09:16 AM
    There is only one way to find out, go pick one up. I do believe you will find it a breeze to get the hang of. Worse case scenerio you could return it, but I doubt you will.
    08-02-13 09:17 AM
    I have tried out Windows Phones for some time, but never bought one. I like the design, and stuff, but the live tiles get ridiculous when you have a lot of apps/games. the only other way to launch an app (if you dont have a live tile or can't find it) is by selecting from a massive list... If you have/plan on having a Windows 8 computer, or plan on getting surface tablet, I would say there may be benefits to getting a WP8 phone.

The reason why I love my Z10 and BB10 is the multitasking abilities. I can have a bunch of apps open (up to 8, not including messages). I can see what's running, and select from those windows quickly and easily. I can move between running apps quickly, and can always access my messages. Since the HUB runs under everything, its literally 1 fluid swipe away. And the bottom line is it's a phone, so my messages better be readily available.

I will let other explain their love for the HUB, but I just love how I can switch between everything, and still have easy access to all my messaging information.

I hope whichever phone you pick you enjoy the platform, and it works for you.
    08-02-13 09:28 AM
    I'm new to Blackberry, got my first Blackberry, a Q10 a few weeks ago and I am very frustrated with BB10. I find it a very dumbed down and functionally lacking OS. The general BB10 user interface is however very smooth and intuitive, compared to many others, so it does score top marks there. Just a shame there's not much meat on the bones underneath it. So I would suggest if you are looking for a smooth and consistent user interface BB10 is definitely worth looking at but compared Android you are also quite likely to find yourself asking why can't it do this, where is the option for that etc. etc.
    08-02-13 09:42 AM
    What stands out in a handset really depends on your preferences basically. In my opinion Z10's keyboard is way better than that of android or WP. So it's great for texting. Email is another BlackBerry's forte. You could compare the music players on both these devices to match your preferences. BB10 is fairly easy to navigate once you get to know your way around the OS. WP is a bit dull Imo. I've had one for a few months and back then the OS was laggy with many bugs. Battery life can be major influence on your decision so do a bit of research on that before you buy.

Posted via CB10
    Have you used the windows phone keyboard, lol. Its probably the best stock keyboard on the market. I could literally slam my face on the phone and text came out flawlessly. The touch response and predictions/autocorrect were that superior to anything else I have used.

Sending texts and listening to music is not hard on android. Not sure what the OP had issues with, but that isn't a point of contention.

Windows phone has never been laggy. Ever. The OS has faults, but if you're going to say its laggy, you won't have much if any credibility. The OS runs decently well even in current version on an HD2 released in late 2009, lol.

Sent from my GS II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-02-13 10:01 AM
    Like, for example. My phone has no native sync client or music player. It uses the buggy Google Play Music, and this cannot be changed. The app crashes frequently, the controls disappear, and whenever you drag and drop tracks onto the phone, it only recognizes them correctly 50% of the time.
    That and it frequently throws up a 'Sorry this track couldn't be played right now.' error every few songs, even though they play fine in my flip phone. THat and it shoves Google+ Music down your throat. I for one don't want to start draining my battery faster, and using more of my internet cap to play songs that I already own. In every aspect of the experience it is frustrating.
    In comparison, the BB10 music player is very straightforward with it's navigation from what I understand.

Texting is a whole other story. Android's autocorrect is an abomination.
    Google music uses a web client and service to sync music yo your phone. You don't drag and stop stuff. Motorola has a sync app for their phones to manage media, like any other major OEM.

Google+ has nothing to do with Google Music. It does advertise on first run. Click no. What company wouldn't at least propose this to their users? Blackberry, king of marketing?

Get Google Keyboard (free) or SwiftKey. Autocorrect is fine. Motorola uses a variant of Googles stock keyboard so I have a hard time taking you seriously IRT auto correct. We're not in FroYo anymore. That is an easy issue to fix on android, to the point that complaining about it is worthless...

You can cache all your music offline from Google music, or load to SD card and set it to only display on device media. You can set y to stream or download only on WiFi.

Stop complaining about basically nothing.

The OSes are different, but you haven't listed anything that is or should be a legit issue or concern.

Sent from my GS II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Acidwire and raysgrumpy like this.
    08-02-13 10:08 AM
    I find BB10 much easier to use than Android. By this, I mean things are organised better, the settings are easier to adjust, open apps are easier to close, etc. on BB10.
    08-02-13 10:13 AM
    What phone are yo using, it sounds like you are using an ancient model that runs Gingerbread or Froyo. The new Jelly Bean OS is night and day compared to its predecessors, I suggest trying a newer model before making your final decision. The Nexus phone is a great phone and half the price, definitely the best bang for your buck.
    08-02-13 10:15 AM
    AFter my first 9850 bricked three years ago, I went to VZW to try a Motorola Droid X2....my wife called me after I left the store, and I couldn't figure out how to answer the damn call! So, when I got home, I walked in the door, and handed the phone off to my daughter and said, "Happy Christmas," (it was some time in June, I think).
    Haven't tried an Android since and I still hate even touching her phone whenever she needs help with it. I just do not see how IT is intuitive....but BB has always just "made sense." I don't know...iOS and Android users say the same thing....so I guess it's just a matter of perspective and what you are used to....BUT....if you want DIFFERENT, and you have a little patience, once you clear the learning curve...you'll love BB10
    08-02-13 10:17 AM
    I convinced that Android UI is rip-off of Symbian / Maemo interfaces and extremely un-intuitive.
    iOS is very intuitive, but today to primitive to my taste.
    WebOs / MeeGo and BB10 are excelent mix of power and simplicity for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:25 AM
    I convinced that Android UI is rip-off of Symbian / Maemo interfaces and extremely un-intuitive.
    iOS is very intuitive, but today to primitive to my taste.
    WebOs / MeeGo and BB10 are excelent mix of power and simplicity for me.

Posted via CB10
    All OSes rip off each other.

Windows Phone ripped the Multi-Tasking interface from WebOS. They also copied Synergy, to some extent (People, Messaging, Outlook, and Me Hubs aggregate accounts similarly). Google then copied it (the MT interface) in theirs, and now Apple is using it in OS7.

Google's Cards metaphor reminds many people of the Metro Tiles Windows Phone introduced.

Live Tiles sort of copied Widgets on Android (though they are more consistent in Look and Feel).

Apple ripped the Notification Bar from Android for Notification Center, and then the Toast Notifications from Windows Phone.

Everyone is copying Xbox Live now in their mobile ecosystems.

Google Play Music All Access sure sounds a lot like Zune Pass (now Xbox Music).

^- All that is inevitable. As companies see things working well, it's only natural that they'll take it, add their own flavor to it, and implement it for their users.

Otherwise, they'll grow stagnant and everyone will leap to the competing platforms.

That's exactly what happened with BB. In their endless quest to maintain the status quo, and inability to copy elegantly, they were left with an aging system that this new age of mobile users had no interest in. They've only really started doing that in BB10, but they really need to fleshout their ecosystem and add value to their devices. BBM is not enough. They need lock-in potential, which is sorely lacking right now.

Lock-In is good and bad, depending on how you look at it. It is clearly working for other companies, as users who invest in the platform find it borderline impossible to leave - especially after years of being there. BB has always been fairly easy to migrate from due to their weak services offerings and lack of a decent ecosystem.

Right now the other 3 platforms are objectively a better investment than BB10 because they seem to have more forward momentum and the companies behind them prioritized the right things early on (or before they were forced to scramble to get it together).
    Acidwire likes this.
    08-02-13 10:47 AM
    My wife left android after having numerous problems with hers (freezing, touchscreen not responding, and random reboots) for the Z10. She says it's much easier to use and type on, and hasn't looked back.
    08-02-13 10:52 AM
    To the OP:

Google Keyboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin - Free

Swiftkey: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...htype.swiftkey - $3.99

Swype: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ance.swype.dtc - $0.99 (On Sale)

Music Player: Just set Google Music to Not Cache Content (in Settings), only Download over WiFi (in Settings), and display on Device Music Only (In Menu Drop Down). Load your music to SD Card (almost all Motorola Phones have an SD Card Slot) and there you go. It's not hard. You can view music by Album, Artist, Recent, Create Playlists, etc. If you don't want to subscribe to All Access, just say no and it won't ask you again.

Other Considerations:

The Lumia 925 will blow away almost any Android Phone and the Z10 when it comes to the Camera.

Mapping is best on the Lumia (Offline) and Google Maps (their extensive Data) than on BB10.

Voice Features are superior on Android, and much better in Windows Phone compared to BB10.

Ecosystems on Android and WP8 are superior to BB10. You can basically have everything under one account (PIM, Cloud Storage, Gaming, App Store, Messaging, etc.). On BB10 you have to put a number of different services/log-ins together to form a decent bundle.

Interoperability with other form factors is better on WP and Android.

Microsoft and Nokia are willing to do what it takes to get the top apps on their platform. I'm not sure the same could be said about BB. Depending on Sideloaded/Converted Android apps is, IMO, not good enough if apps are of great consideration to you.
    08-02-13 11:05 AM
    My wife left android after having numerous problems with hers (freezing, touchscreen not responding, and random reboots) for the Z10. She says it's much easier to use and type on, and hasn't looked back.
    Really have to say what phone she ditched, otherwise it makes very little sense. She could have been on a low end FroYo device, however comments like these make it seem like a general issue.

Also, didn't the Z10 have issues with Random Reboots for many people, and now there is the SMS issue with the latest update IIRC?

No platform is without issues, and if someone prefers one over the other - that's a great thing. That is what allows differing choices to coexist and offer us the level of freedom we enjoy in this market.
    08-02-13 11:08 AM
    To the OP:

Google Keyboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin - Free

Swiftkey: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...htype.swiftkey - $3.99

Swype: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ance.swype.dtc - $0.99 (On Sale)

Music Player: Just set Google Music to Not Cache Content (in Settings), only Download over WiFi (in Settings), and display on Device Music Only (In Menu Drop Down). Load your music to SD Card (almost all Motorola Phones have an SD Card Slot) and there you go. It's not hard. You can view music by Album, Artist, Recent, Create Playlists, etc. If you don't want to subscribe to All Access, just say no and it won't ask you again.

Other Considerations:

The Lumia 925 will blow away almost any Android Phone and the Z10 when it comes to the Camera.

Mapping is best on the Lumia (Offline) and Google Maps (their extensive Data) than on BB10.

Voice Features are superior on Android, and much better in Windows Phone compared to BB10.

Ecosystems on Android and WP8 are superior to BB10. You can basically have everything under one account (PIM, Cloud Storage, Gaming, App Store, Messaging, etc.). On BB10 you have to put a number of different services/log-ins together to form a decent bundle.

Interoperability with other form factors is better on WP and Android.

Microsoft and Nokia are willing to do what it takes to get the top apps on their platform. I'm not sure the same could be said about BB. Depending on Sideloaded/Converted Android apps is, IMO, not good enough if apps are of great consideration to you.
    This guy really doesn't want the OP to get a z10.

Edit: I hope you're getting paid for all this mudslinging. I took a quick look at your last few posts...That's a lot of time wasted on explaining why you think blackberries are such a bad choice.
    Last edited by ian8206; 08-02-13 at 12:02 PM.
    08-02-13 11:51 AM
    This guy really doesn't want the OP to get a z10.

Edit: I hope you're getting paid for all this mudslinging. I took a quick look at your last few posts...That's a lot of time wasted on explaining why you think blackberries are such a bad choice.
    Please edit your post again to tell me how any of that is wrong.

It's common knowledge that the Windows Phone, Android, and iOS ecosystems (Device Choice, Services, and App Stores) are superior to BB10.

It's common knowledge that the Cameras on the latest WP, Android, and iOS flagships blow the BB10 devices away. Demonstratively so.

It's common knowledge that Mapping is superior on those other OSes, as well as Voice and Motion Features (like on i.e. a Samsung Device).

The only real benefit to choosing BB10 is BBM, which is coming to Android and iOS (but no WP, so if you need BBM then you can forget about the Lumia 925 period). Everything else it offers is fairly commodity, has been largely copied since then (Some camera functions, for example), or was already implemented elsewhere in some shape, form or fashion before BB10 release (BB Hub).

Being able to sideload Android apps is nice until you run into performance/stability issues that require RIM to update the Android player. These apps have no such issues on even mid-range Android devices. The complaints about Skype performance are demonstrative of this. Some apps simply do not convert and run properly at all.

I am less interested in pushing a certain device or platform than I am with making sure people state facts, without pushing opinions as if they are facts.

If you disagree. Write what you disagree with and why. Don't just troll by calling someone a shill for a certain platform or company.

Other than the common, useless "This is a BB forum" response why is someone pushing an Android or WP device such a bad thing, compared to people putting up intellectually dishonest information in an attempt to steer him to the Z10, though. I'm interested in what you think about that, in particular...

Even the search features/integration on WP/Android are superior to the Z10. BB10 simply isn't backed by as good a services ecosystem as the competing devices - barely having one - and this DOES affect the user experience. It's not just about Apps and how great some fans think QNX is or could be.

It seems like people have focused so much on the "hype" that they have forgotten to evaluate the fundamentals of what has become the backbone of mobile OSes these days. It's all about services, and it's all about ecosystem. BB is super weak in both of those areas, and it affects the attractiveness of their devices because no matter what services you choose there is always another platform that offers better integration and a more compelling user experience for them.

Also, some services simply aren't decently portable, which is another factor. You are never going to get Google Now or something Similar to the Windows Phone Bing components on BB10, for example.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 08-02-13 at 12:22 PM.
    08-02-13 12:11 PM
64 123