I just wanted to comment on my experience with BlackBerry maps this week. I'm not looking to compare it with other services or say it is the penultimate example of its kind or to belittle other services.

I'm very happy. I drove my family to Florida on Saturday. I didn't need the app for most of the ride as the trip was primarily a straight shot down I75. When we got within 60 miles I turned it on and it took me straight to the front door of our hotel.

Today I drove my daughter across the state of Florida with nothing but an address to pick up her best friend. This was prearranged that they would spend some time together with our family on vacation. BlackBerry maps took us to her front door and back.

I know that I am not a travelling salesman or truck driver that might need these types of utilities that often, but I am very impressed with the app.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll, EchuOkan1 and gjcavana like this.
    07-29-13 08:49 PM
    Cool thing is that it seems everything worked for you just as expected, no muss no fuss. And that's what it's all about
    07-29-13 08:55 PM
    Great post OP...i have had similar experience and only have good to say about BlackBerry maps.

Posted via Z10
    07-29-13 08:59 PM
    Me too. With Google's latest update to their maps I think they finally went a little too far. BlackBerry maps feels just right.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:55 PM
    BB maps navigation app is the most under rated app. It was spot on 100% of the time for me.
    ray689 and EchuOkan1 like this.
    07-29-13 10:44 PM
    BB maps navigation app is the most under rated app. It was spot on 100% of the time for me.
    Agree 100%, this is one of the most important native apps on the BB...the app is also useful to find places in need like gas stations, coffee shops, or a place to eat.
    07-29-13 10:55 PM
    The app itself is very acurate and has never let me down with regards to directions. But i do find the app is slow to recalculate in the case of a detour, lacks features (bus routes, local business' etc) and is a HUGE drain on the battery.
    I drove from Ottawa to Toronto a few weeks ago which is about a 4hr drive and my phone which was fully charged before i left was dead before i even got to Toronto city limits which meant i couldn't get to my destination without buying a car charger.
    Having a car charger is definitely a nice thing to have but i dont think i should necessarily require one for a 4hour drive.
    07-29-13 10:58 PM
    BlackBerry Maps is pretty good.. but it isn't accurate all the time.. it has gotten me lost a few times.. Google Maps is the best hands down!
    07-29-13 11:01 PM
    The app itself is very acurate and has never let me down with regards to directions. But i do find the app is slow to recalculate in the case of a detour, lacks features (bus routes, local business' etc) and is a HUGE drain on the battery.
    I drove from Ottawa to Toronto a few weeks ago which is about a 4hr drive and my phone which was fully charged before i left was dead before i even got to Toronto city limits which meant i couldn't get to my destination without buying a car charger.
    Having a car charger is definitely a nice thing to have but i dont think i should necessarily require one for a 4hour drive.
    True and thats a good point but it's rare that you would need the navigation on constantly for 4 hours if ever.

Posted via Z10
    07-29-13 11:01 PM
    True and thats a good point but it's rare that you would need the navigation on constantly for 4 hours if ever.

Posted via Z10
    You are right. But when i get in my car, i dont feel i should have to start the app and enter the address while driving 120kmh. I want to be able to start the app, drive and not have to worry about whether my phone has enough juice to get me where i need to go.
    07-29-13 11:04 PM
    You don't need to enter the address a second time, just hit "my places" and they are brought back up. I did that several times when it said "proceed for 50 miles" to save battery.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 11:27 PM
    No phone is going to last 4 hrs running GPS.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 11:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe not a GPS for a car that is meant to be plugged in but i have made the drive to Toronto several times using an 'Apple' product and i had ample battery left when i got to my destination.
    07-29-13 11:37 PM
    And yes, I do have a car charger.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 11:37 PM
    I posted on another thread that the car charger does not even keep up with the battery drain while using maps..is that true for you as well? My z10 gets hot when maps is running a long time and that seems to stop the charging according to battery guru.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 05:33 AM
    Yeah I do have an older car charger. I'm thinking about getting a new one or a 2.1A plug.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 09:40 AM
    I agree with you. I have never had a problem getting where I need. As the OP, I am not a heavy user of this app, but has never failed me.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 09:45 AM
    The maps app has been amazing for me, never failed! The only con of the app in my experience is that the search function is not the greatest if you don't have an exact address, but I'm sure this will improve with time.
    07-30-13 09:53 AM
    @dbollman
    I am using the deluxe BlackBerry 2.1A charger

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 12:28 PM
    @dbollman

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't sound possible considering that the battery is 1800 mAh and maps lasts for several hours and the battery should charge in about an hour.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:04 PM
    @dbollman

Posted via CB10
    You mustve got a dud. Return it. I'm using a 2.1A, can put my phone on it half charge, run maps the whole way to work, about a 45 minute drive, and battery will be full charge when I get there.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:17 PM
    Well I swear when I try to impress others with my phone it always finds a way to embarrass me. Which is exactly what BlackBerry maps did last night.

Was looking for a place. So it said it found it. Then it led us to no where. Stupid part on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:48 AM
    In April I was navigating through Vancouver, me with the Z, the wife beside me with her ios6 running Google maps. The BlackBerry maps were almost always giving directions before the iPhone, and we're more complete with frequent "prepare to turn left" etc comments the iPhone left out. Instructions which are invaluable in big city traffic.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 01:27 PM

My Bold 9780 would last at least 6 hours with GPS on my cycling trips where I had Endomondo sports tracker tracking my progress the entire way. No way any newer device could do that. That's one thing I loved most about those older Blackberries, they had great battery life.
    08-01-13 01:33 PM
    A little off topic, but a funny story. A few months ago went to a zombie run with a few buddies. My poor abused torch died on me about halfway through the drive, so while it was resetting, my buddy with his iPhone wanted to show that his phone would get us there, and we started following the directions from that. When we got to the location, the iPhone told us we would have to park on the street and walk the rest of the way. We all laughed it off, because none of us had ever heard a gps say that before, but there were dozens of cars parked on the street, so we followed suit and started walking down the road to get there. About a mile down the road, we came across a huge half filled parking lot at the location. So I'm assuming all of us on the street followed apple and the people in the parking lot that didn't have to walk a mile before their run, they used something else. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 01:45 PM
29 12