My son is setting up his S3 to play videos off of our WDTV (wireless connected).
    I was wondering if the Z10 is able to access and play videos from our network media server?

I tried looking around the video player but there doesn't seem to be any options that would allow it.

Do I need another app to get this done ... or is it possible at all?

Thanks!
    07-28-13 04:49 PM
    Is it a DLNA server?
    07-28-13 04:54 PM
    hi Lendo ... no this is not the DLNA model. I have a version 2.
    I was thinking of just using some type of file manager and media player .... once I locate the servers HD.
    07-28-13 08:07 PM
    I use Plex - A Complete Media Solution for all my medial streaming, works awesome!! there is a playbook app, but nothing for the Z10 yet, so you have to side load..
    07-28-13 08:13 PM
    There are some potential issues here. One of them is that the Z10 cannot mount a SMB file share, at least not that is "exposed" to us. It has an internal SAMBA server, however (and it is Samba - I've found the config files!) so it has the SMB server -- just not the client.

I suspect it's in there but is not "exposed", and that's unfortunate. Hopefully BlackBerry will fix that. It's a bit tricky to do though when over WiFi if you roam out of range and not hang the filesystem, which is probably why they haven't as of yet -- you need some sort of automounter that can interrupt an I/O in process and disconnect the filesystem when you leave WiFi range to prevent hangs. Trust me on this -- it's bad if mishandled and I've seen people try to do this before and get it wrong.

I hope BB does implement this however, as it would be very nice. Remote File Access works if you have a PC on the network that can "see" the media server. I do that and can see my entire music "jukebox" this way from my Z.

Now if it could only play DVD format ....
    07-28-13 08:39 PM
    I have browsed and played files on a network share using es file explorer

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 08:57 PM
    Try Kalemsoft media player.. it s available on app world.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 11:24 PM