I am new to this Forum but have been a BB over for 8 year plus and always on a contract in the UK (where I am based) with Orange.

The main attraction to me with BB (and I had a Bold before, and something else before that etc) is the ability to send and receive
    emails GLOBALLY on a 24/7 basis,. I travel for months at a time in Africa (Wifi few and far between and very few are free) so the
    ability to receive and send emails was the number one (and number two , and three etc) reason for having BB.

I am not too technical, but assume roaming always on. My roaming bills were no more than $50 per month EVER - and that only
    I downloaded email attachments, which I did not do frequently.

I recently upgraded to a Q10 as my old contract had expired (although it could have run on month to month) and I was advised if I
    upgraded, "nothing would change".

Well it did. One my first trip to Africa with my new Q10 I incurred what turned out to be a $1,000 bill on the 45 minute trip from the
    airport to my hotel.

I am, of course, contesting this, but after looking on various blogs and speaking to people in various phone shops, I am none the
    wiser.

Can anyone enlighten me? MY Q10 is effectively USELESS now for travelling as roaming fees are unsustainable. And I went
    75MB in the 45 minutes - and only looking at emails. Nothing else was on.

Why does one use more date when travelling than when at "home"?
    How do I access emails as before WITHOUT getting hit with roaming charges (and getting a local SIM not an option). I just want
    things "as they were".

How did I get emails before? Roaming? If so, how did I do so with minimal charges? Is it a BIS issue? If I turn off roaming I get no
    emails, but if I turn it on I get huge bills? What is going on?

Is it something to do with compression? BB Enterprise server? I am NOT very technical, just interested in a good value service -
    which I got for years and now do not have. And I am very confused as to what to do!

This is a pretty UK specific and roaming question, but any help appreciated.

And yes, my service provider offers "roaming packages" but at the rate I went through data, that would be eaten up in an hour!

What to do??

Many thanks
    07-27-13 11:35 AM
    I am new to this Forum but have been a BB over for 8 year plus and always on a contract in the UK (where I am based) with Orange.

The main attraction to me with BB (and I had a Bold before, and something else before that etc) is the ability to send and receive
    emails GLOBALLY on a 24/7 basis,. I travel for months at a time in Africa (Wifi few and far between and very few are free) so the
    ability to receive and send emails was the number one (and number two , and three etc) reason for having BB.

I am not too technical, but assume roaming always on. My roaming bills were no more than $50 per month EVER - and that only
    I downloaded email attachments, which I did not do frequently.

I recently upgraded to a Q10 as my old contract had expired (although it could have run on month to month) and I was advised if I
    upgraded, "nothing would change".

Well it did. One my first trip to Africa with my new Q10 I incurred what turned out to be a $1,000 bill on the 45 minute trip from the
    airport to my hotel.

I am, of course, contesting this, but after looking on various blogs and speaking to people in various phone shops, I am none the
    wiser.

Can anyone enlighten me? MY Q10 is effectively USELESS now for travelling as roaming fees are unsustainable. And I went
    75MB in the 45 minutes - and only looking at emails. Nothing else was on.

Why does one use more date when travelling than when at "home"?
    How do I access emails as before WITHOUT getting hit with roaming charges (and getting a local SIM not an option). I just want
    things "as they were".

How did I get emails before? Roaming? If so, how did I do so with minimal charges? Is it a BIS issue? If I turn off roaming I get no
    emails, but if I turn it on I get huge bills? What is going on?

Is it something to do with compression? BB Enterprise server? I am NOT very technical, just interested in a good value service -
    which I got for years and now do not have. And I am very confused as to what to do!

This is a pretty UK specific and roaming question, but any help appreciated.

And yes, my service provider offers "roaming packages" but at the rate I went through data, that would be eaten up in an hour!

What to do??

Many thanks
    75meg in 45 minutes using email sounds like the African carrier is scamming your carrier.
    07-27-13 11:41 AM
    also, BB10 does not use BIS, so data is not compressed. Maybe, you should try to turn data when roaming off...get to wifi whenever you can. data roaming charges are very expensive...my carrier charges $15 for around 10MB of data or thereabouts...
    07-27-13 11:26 PM
    In terms of the Africa carrier scamming my home carrier, the funny thing they are BOTH Orange. So maybe a scam, but I doubt it.

On the WiFi, it just is not available, hence my decision to stick with Orange. But what is the problem? Is it that they DID use compression on my prior model and NOW do not on the Q10? Also, any idea why I use MORE DATA than normal when roaming than I do at home?
    07-28-13 03:15 AM
    In terms of the Africa carrier scamming my home carrier, the funny thing they are BOTH Orange. So maybe a scam, but I doubt it.

On the WiFi, it just is not available, hence my decision to stick with Orange. But what is the problem? Is it that they DID use compression on my prior model and NOW do not on the Q10? Also, any idea why I use MORE DATA than normal when roaming than I do at home?
    Maybe you had to catch up with your emails after landing (I guess there were plenty of them accumulated during the several hours of flight), so you read / write more of them in the 45 minutes trip from the airport than you normaly do in a 45 minutes of "business as usual" at home.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    Last edited by serbanescu; 07-28-13 at 04:00 AM.
    07-28-13 03:37 AM
    How do I access emails as before WITHOUT getting hit with roaming charges (and getting a local SIM not an option). I just want things "as they were".
    I don't believe you can do that anymore. My guess is that BlackBerry was bullied into giving up BIS in exchange of carriers' support for BB10. Carriers want more money from customers, and data compression prevented them from enticing you to go on a data spending spree.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-28-13 03:41 AM
    BB10 is a big step backwards for international travelers. BIS was really great for being always connected while abroad.
    07-28-13 04:02 AM
    BIS and BES, in my Job is a great problem, and is probably a change of sistem only for that.
    07-28-13 04:23 AM
    Now, I you are in roaming often, unfortunately you have go back to BBOS and BIS for time being.
    BB10 is same as regular iOS and Android in this regard, lot of data used and in roaming is very expensive.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 04:31 AM
    Thanks for all this and I REALLY WISH I was advised of this by the Advisor (more like salesman) at the phone shop befofe I took the decision to upgrade. I was really happy with my existing BB and plan and only ugraded as I was told "everything is the same" and it is just the phone is better. Obviously a lot of nonsense. But even today, when I spoke to EE (another UK supplier) they said NOTHING HAS CHANGED with the Q10 in terms of BIS, roaming fees, compression etc. So clearly the phone shop advisors have not been properly trained - or else some kind of cunning plan to get people off their existing BB phones and tariffs.
    07-28-13 09:10 AM
    When travelling Leave Data Roaming OFF. Use WIFI. You can leave the Mobile Network on. As nothing happens. Only a matter of answering texts or phone calls. Leaving Data Roaming OFF will make sure no sudden fees happen. Only fees you know about because if you answer a text while roaming you know about the charge etc..
    Or Buy a plan before you leave or if you forget you can your carrier while roaming as they send you a # to call them free of charge.
    07-29-13 07:40 PM
    You may also have had a roaming plan that covered BIS usage. The Q10 doesn't have BIS, so you would need to get a roaming data plan to get the data cheaper than without the plan.

Once on a roaming plan you will have to be very careful which apps you use, as some may use data all the time. This may have been the problem coming from the airport, some of the apps refreshing their data.

I am keeping my 9900 for when I need to do some international travel.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:32 PM
    Had no problems with my Z10. Just keep your Data roaming off and use wifi. If traveling in USA roaming is much cheaper. Rogers now offers 7.99/ 50 MB. Which comes in handy.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:25 PM
    I did 8.5mb in 30 minutes roaming in hk. Was using email, Skype messaging, whatsapp only. In Auckland I did 1 mb in 2 days.

And my normal use is about 500 mb per month at home.
    09-25-13 12:01 AM