So I've been pondering the reasoning behind BlackBerry and killing off the tablet and dismissing the idea of tablets all together for quite some time. I was just as excited to see BB10 on the playbook as the rest of the Playbook nation and was sad to hear its sudden--well.. you know.

Anyways! I know Thor said something about the tablet having to be something better than just a stretched out phone and just being a run of the mill tablet. Something like that, obviously i cant remember the word off the top of my head.

Now, my sister recently got a new laptop. Its on of those new Windows 8 laptops that switch and fold into a Tablet. The Idea struck me that, maybe this is something BlackBerry has also considered?? Could BlackBerry bring a full fledged computer operating system, in the form of a tablet and/or laptop?

what do you think? wishful thinking or is this at all logical and possible?

Blackberry 9300
    07-26-13 10:46 AM
    "I'm starting to believe the BlackBerry PlayBook wasn't just RIM wanting to enter the tablet market but rather a testing ground for bigger things once BlackBerry 10 was fully ready"
    RIM patent shows designs for netbook styled smartphone docking station | CrackBerry.com

"We continue to evaluate our tablet strategy"
    I highly doubt Thorsten Heins thinks the tablet market will die | CrackBerry.com
    07-26-13 11:04 AM
    I recall reading awhile back that the Playbook was the first to be built on the QNX format.
    And that was part of the plan.

I know one thing the playback sure helped me learn the Z10!
    07-26-13 11:47 AM
    JUST a Tablet would be JUST fine if it has apps.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-26-13 11:58 AM
    If one wanted a full fledged computer operating system on a tablet or a laptop then the logical choice would be Windows or OSX - something that has been in development for PCs for decades. Even Microsoft is having a hard time getting people to adopt Windows RT so Blackberry wouldn't stand a chance.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-26-13 11:59 AM
    Its also a useful drinks coaster
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-26-13 03:20 PM
    I can't really see how tablets would be going in the next five years like Thor suggests. Sometimes you don't want a laptop even when small sat on your lap. Your phone although getting on par with laptops with all the features these days isn't the type of thing you want to do long browsing on or typing on. A phone the same size as a tablet is just not handy enough for storing so I guess the tablet will have a niche for many more than five years to come. Unless there's something in the pipeline well beyond my imagination. I think Blackberry should concentrate on mobile devices and as like mentioned would struggle in a laptop market.
    BB10 needs all of BB attention.
    07-27-13 06:11 PM