Hey I wanna get my hubby a bb and he wants to stay with sprint but now might want walkie talkie I've seen the current nextel bb and it doesn't wow me... so does anyone know of any gift worthy walkie talkie bbs??? Thanks in advance!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-07 03:19 PM
    from what i have heard, no. There won't be anymore nextel bbs. Try a search though, there are a couple of threads on this which might be relevant.
    11-10-07 03:28 PM
    Ya I serched and its just people looking for more... Or upgrading from a walki talki to regular... Dang!!! Thanks thou...

11-14-07 09:17 PM
    I would not hold your breath. There isn't anything on the horizon for new Nextel Blackberry devices.
    11-14-07 09:19 PM
    Well that sucks! Thanks though... They sould come out with a "powersource" bb awe that'll be sweet!!! But dang... They probably won't

11-19-07 12:28 AM
    I have a nextel phone now and am getting a pearl when sprint finally gets them this week. I have found that since sprint took over nextel, the service is terrible. I get way more drops or just no service at all in areas where I live that used to be great. I think sprint's plan was to keep the push to talk feature on nextel but switch everyone over to the sprint phone service. That being said, everyone I know is getting rid of their nextel phones so there is no one to walkie talkie with. good luck.
    11-19-07 05:58 AM
    I have heard that the current investments in the Nextel network are scant. Sprint plans to develop a Push to Talk feature that works on their existing CDMA network and phase out the Nextel Network (which delivers painfully slow data speeds on Blackberrys). That will be good for people who rely on Push to Talk because it will work on a much more reliable network. It will, however, require them to upgrade equipment.

I heard this from someone who works for Sprint.
    11-19-07 09:41 AM
    The new PTT for Sprint is HPPTT (High Performance Push To Talk). They have finally figured out how to have a CDMA gateway to iden, using the Qchat application. The earliest that anyone has heard would be Q1 of 2008 for new CDMA devices on Sprint that will use PTT. (I currently have Sprint with an i580.) People on Nextel forums have stated, the earliest they have for any new BB for Sprint that can use HPPTT is 2nd half of 2008. This will be a CDMA model. This is the only link I have to any info on it HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - The New Nextel (1st Look at Qchat) I think though I am probably going to dump them next year, especially now that the FCC has threatened to shut down their iden network, if the rebanding isn't fully completed in 2008.
    Last edited by fyrfyter; 11-19-07 at 11:18 AM.
    11-19-07 11:14 AM
    I wouldn't bother with the iden network -- I had Nextel several years back, and had nothing but trouble with it. That's when I switched to Verizon. Switched back to Sprint due to their prices and the fact that my husband is on Sprint, and having mobile to mobile cut down on our minute usage to each other. On top of the lack of service (and I live in a large city), the data speeds are horribly slow and tedious...Not worth it. If you're going to get him a Blackberry, I'd get him the Curve or wait a bit and see if Sprint actually drops a new Blackberry. Also, the 8350i just came out -- if they did do a new Nextel Blackberry, it'll be awhile (a year at least).

Good luck!
    01-18-09 02:26 AM
    Ugh will you guys stop reviving ancient threads?

01-18-09 02:36 AM
    So Will Everyone have to upgrade their equipment to have this feature or will sprint offers some type of software upgrade to enable this feature using the programmable buttons on either side of the current bb? (I'm asking about the New PTT)
    01-18-09 05:55 AM
    Ugh will you guys stop reviving ancient threads?

It was at the top of my thread list and I thought I would try to be helpful. Sorry that I didn't realize that it was dated so far back.
    01-18-09 11:11 AM
    Does anybody know when this new bb is coming out ? I spoke to a rep they told me the new bb was a Niagara. Can anybody confirm this ? My contract is up soon and I'm about to jump ship !
    01-20-09 08:51 AM
    they should just get rid of nextel all in all, worthless service
    11-20-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD