It seems google are about to heat up the airwaves with its competitor to apples AirPlay.

I'm still waiting on Blackberrys vision of its " Mobile Computing Platform "

S@it just got a whole lot more competitive so, in your own time Thorsten.

Google introduces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI streaming solution for televisions | Engadget - YouTube
    07-25-13 10:44 AM
    I don't get it. Miracast does this and is a standard. BlackBerry will have miracast in 10.2.

You can get miracast dongles to connect to a TV as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 10:57 AM
    I don't get it. Miracast does this and is a standard. BlackBerry will have miracast in 10.2.

You are correct sir.

A simple question to you, does the consumer identify and have brand awareness of Miracast, DLNA or Google?
    Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 11:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    For $35.00 ?
    07-25-13 11:08 AM
    Chromecast is slated to start appearing on store shelves around 28 July. 10.2 is slated to be released...when?
    07-25-13 11:09 AM
    Also its not really "mobile computing" IMO. This is a device meant to take on apple TV at a highly reduced price.
    07-25-13 11:17 AM
    For $35.00 ?
    I have no clue the cost. But I really can't imagine them costing more than standard wifi Internet dongles on smart TVs, somewhere around $50 on the high end, $35 on the low. Miracast is just wifi direct basically so just a stronger Internet dongle.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 11:25 AM
    Also its not really "mobile computing" IMO. This is a device meant to take on apple TV at a highly reduced price.

You make a fair point.

Give it a few months and see how many features and services google cram into this thing, it may all look a little different.

This is also ios compatible and has some level of Chrome browser integration, in the future, possible Chrome OS compatibility.
    07-25-13 11:28 AM
    I think miracast disadvantage is that it doesn run over the network. It requires a direct connection to stream from your device to the miracast receiver. Chromecast will utilize the wifi network for its streaming and not have to filter everything thru the source
    bekkay, Kris Simundson and Saiga like this.
    07-25-13 11:35 AM
    Looks like they are starting to hit the store shelves today. Bestbuy shows in stock in Michigan.
    07-25-13 11:40 AM
    Looks like they are starting to hit the store shelves today. Bestbuy shows in stock in Michigan.

Google Play store sold out, as per usual :/
    07-25-13 11:48 AM
    [QUOTE=jrohland;8887278]This tells me Google is having a hard time capturing viewing habits of their data providers (you and I). This must be a big problem because they are selling the gadget cheap enough to entice the millions. This will give them a massive new way to way to invade privacy.

That observation is so on point.
    07-25-13 12:04 PM
    I have no clue the cost. But I really can't imagine them costing more than standard wifi Internet dongles on smart TVs, somewhere around $50 on the high end, $35 on the low. Miracast is just wifi direct basically so just a stronger Internet dongle.

Posted via CB10
    Try just over $100. At least that was the price when I looked into one.
    07-25-13 12:06 PM
    Try just over $100. At least that was the price when I looked into one.
    Netgear Push2TV is about $60.
    07-25-13 12:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Using WiFi direct on a phone means you cannot use the WiFi connection to browse the web or stream anything, so that's not really the greatest solution. In fact, it's sort of dumb when you put it in perspective of capped data plans and the like.

DLNA is better than WiFi Direct but there can be a ton of compatibility issues depending on which devices you use and a lot of TVs don't come with it built in so you need a more expensive device to do it.

The cost of this device is what is so important. For such a cheap price, you can pretty easily plug one into every TV in your house. You cannot do that with Apple TVs, XBoxes, Roku's, PS3s, etc. for such a cheap price.

It almost makes ZERO sense NOT to buy at least one of these, TBQH...
    bp3dots and bekkay like this.
    07-25-13 12:55 PM
    [QUOTE=keypad;8887331]
    This tells me Google is having a hard time capturing viewing habits of their data providers (you and I). This must be a big problem because they are selling the gadget cheap enough to entice the millions. This will give them a massive new way to way to invade privacy.

That observation is idiotic. Whether you're viewing it through Chrome Cast, on a phone, or on a PC... You're still watching or viewing the same thing using their software.

So it doesn't matter, they're still getting the same data.

All their doing is trying to improve the stickiness of their services. This is a pretty decent idea for that...
    07-25-13 12:58 PM
    Netgear Push2TV is about $60.
    So for one device, you could plug Chrome Cast into two televisions. You're missing the point and why so many people are raving about the price... People have different psychological reactions to $60 as opposed to $35. This will certainly rope in a lot of impulse shoppers, and people with multiple televisions with HDMI ports.
    07-25-13 12:59 PM
    And I want one bad. Now Bestbuy site shows none in stock at any stores around here.

Who wants to pick one up and courier it to me from the US ?
    07-25-13 01:18 PM
    [QUOTE=keypad;8887331]
    This tells me Google is having a hard time capturing viewing habits of their data providers (you and I). This must be a big problem because they are selling the gadget cheap enough to entice the millions. This will give them a massive new way to way to invade privacy.

It's a stupid observation. Google already knows what you watch and listen to on YouTube, Google Play, Music, and use Chrome. This Chromecast device simply puts it up on your HDMI tv.
    07-25-13 01:20 PM
    I don't even think it's an straight Apple TV competitor per se just because it does mirroring. People said the same thing about Google TV and while it offered some of the same features, it is a different product. This product only mirrors from the available services while Apple TV does this plus allows mirroring from anything on your iOS/Mac device including gaming and let's your iDevice be the controller (where available). But I do like the idea of this product of providing an easy way to get access to these services rather than buying a internet connected device. I'd use something like this in the bedroom but it's not functional enough to replace the items in my entertainment system around the house.
    07-25-13 01:20 PM
    It may not be "mobile computing", but who the heck has a definition of "mobile computing" anyway? Everyone has their own definition.

What Chromecast is though, is that it is another "thing" that has now been added to the "internet of things". It works with iOS things, Android things, laptops, desktops and tablet things running Windows, MacOS, or Linux. Just not BlackBerry or Windows Phones at the moment.

So add one more machine to the ever growing internet of thing that BB can't talk to.
    mikeo007 and timberdc like this.
    07-25-13 01:24 PM
    Using WiFi direct on a phone means you cannot use the WiFi connection to browse the web or stream anything, so that's not really the greatest solution. In fact, it's sort of dumb when you put it in perspective of capped data plans and the like.

DLNA is better than WiFi Direct but there can be a ton of compatibility issues depending on which devices you use and a lot of TVs don't come with it built in so you need a more expensive device to do it.

The cost of this device is what is so important. For such a cheap price, you can pretty easily plug one into every TV in your house. You cannot do that with Apple TVs, XBoxes, Roku's, PS3s, etc. for such a cheap price.

It almost makes ZERO sense NOT to buy at least one of these, TBQH...
    Yes, I'm talking about miracast which is different than those two things you mentioned

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 01:29 PM
    Chromecast is slated to start appearing on store shelves around 28 July. 10.2 is slated to be released...when?
    10.2 is Coming Soon...lol.

My money is on Chromecast. Blackberry is not really executing very well these days.
    07-25-13 01:53 PM
    You guys don't get it. Chrome cast isn't something new, it's basically DLNA repackaged, that's what I'm trying to get at.

Posted via CB10
    russworman, mujahid 10 and rthonpm like this.
    07-25-13 01:56 PM
    You guys don't get it. Chrome cast isn't something new, it's basically DLNA repackaged, that's what I'm trying to get at.
    This is wrong.

The simple way to explain Chromecast - the device has a Chrome browser in it. That browser is actually connecting to the internet and playing videos, music, and media from web pages. The browser uses the TV as its display.

You can think of the apps on the phone (Youtube, Netflix, etc) or the laptop (browser, Netflix) as a remote control for the browser on the Chromecast gadget. The phone, tablet, or computer does not actually stream any video to the gadget. It is a just a remote control.
    bekkay, MazoMark and Carterbits like this.
    07-25-13 02:02 PM
206 123 ...