I got my BB about 24 hours ago and I have been on this site for most of that time!
    I am already obsessed with this thing, it is amazing!
    please excuse me if any of my questions are redundant...

1) First and foremost, can someone please clarify the OS situation with VZW. I understand the OS 4.5 supports HTML email among other things. If the update is not official or supported by VZW, please let me know major risks/bugs.

2) I've seen various posts here and elsewhere that talk about wathcing full length movies/TV shows on the BB, please let me know how to accomplish that.

3) Any comments on using the BB with Gmail? So far I love it. Curious about syncing a gmail calender (i don't even use one yet, but I need to get organized).

4) Finally, any killer apps out there? what are people using the most? Whats the most exciting?

I know this is a lot, if I have asked a questions that is redundant, please link me other threads you know about.

Many thanks to all!
    10-15-08 11:38 PM
    4.5 isn't out officially for VZW. It is not recommended that newbies try to install a version of 4.5 that has been released through a different carrier. Get to know how your BB and Desktop Manager work first.
    10-15-08 11:55 PM
    I agree with sunkast, get to know your device first or if you just can't wait, have someone upload it for u.
    As for gmail and syncing google calendar I've done it and its one of the greatest things I've done with my bb. I'd give a walk through on how but in on wap :-/ however, google makes bb apps real easy to use so you shouldn't have an issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 05:17 AM
    Frist of all get your here. Second you will learn that with Verizon you must WAIT. The official OS will come someday, we are hoping that when the Storm is released, 4.5 is not far behind. It is a waiting game.
    Now as for apps. search this site and any other you can find to see whats out there. Remember some apps work best with particular OS so watch that. Most have free trials, USE THEM. I don't think anybody should pay for an app them have never played with. That way if you don't like it, just remove it.
    OK get out there and have fun. Never forget this site is a wealth of information. Don't reinvent the wheel. Somebody has been there done that, and has the t-shirt to prove it. Use them.
    Good Luck
    10-16-08 06:40 AM
    I would highly suggest that you hold off on upgrading to 4.5. I upgraded to the new OS and went back for the following reasons:
    1) The phone would report that I had a message waiting to be read however, there was no message in any of the folders.
    2) The Key-lock Icon, when invoked, would show up on the screen as if it were a hidden file. The Icon was twice the size and somewhat transparent.
    3) The Icons themselves did not seem right. I think maybe the update performed some screen and Icon adjustments.
    4) The speaker phone would sometimes go on, then off. That was interesting to say the least.
    5) Call quality did not seem the same. It was almost tinny….
    6) The battery seemed to drain quicker than normal.

As far as Verizon and its updates are concerned, I believe a major reason for their delay is because the components built into their phones are different then the components found in competitors phones. That is to say, the speaker system used for T-Mobile maybe somewhat different than that of Verizon, possibly even different chip sets. That would account for why people have issues when updating using other carriers OS updates.
    If you do upgrade, it will void your warranty if your phone ceases to work while the new update is in place and you return it for repair.
    10-16-08 09:47 AM
    1) I have had no issues other than the speakerphone with 4.5. It was my first upgrade to my device and I wiped it too. Just followed directions from here.
    2)You can download the movies and media to your microSD card if you have one. I got youtube and online video to work with 4.5 and not 4.3
    3)Are you using a gmail account on your bb or the gmail app. I like gmail on my bb not the app. The app was slow loading but gave me html without 4.5. I use the cal sync but I find it to be almost useless as I just use by BES calendar and set it private if I need to.
    4)I use a few apps a lot and some less frequently (in use order)
    viigo (rss reader)
    google maps
    opera
    Facebook
    games, all kinds
    AIM
    ESPN

I am really hoping for a better browser in the next iteration or in the storm. The browser is weak and opera is better but I have cookie issues with opera all the time...frustrating

read the forums lots as they will be a godsend when anything goes wrong or you have a question. I learn things from here that I swear I would never have found on my own.
    10-16-08 10:10 AM
    Thanks for the great respones. Couple follow ups:
    1) Benefits of opera vs. built in browser?
    2) I do have a card, what video formats are supported? For example, can I burn a family guy dvd to my BB?
    3) Solutions for HTML email while we wait for verizon to get us 4.5?

THANKS!

10-16-08 02:32 PM
    I am using OS 4.5.033 since it's dropped. I use the normal desktop that installed from vzw 4.3.017 i dl'd a while ago from their website. I love html for email, but with BIS, you have to request the images through menu each time. IF you have BES, the server does the work for you. My lock screen works normal, no real hangs, I get an occasional alert saying i have unopened mail, but I just go to the current date and mark prior read and it all disappears.

I use google sync OTA for calender and all the add in modules like moon phases and other odd things and it the device syncs with outlook also. I don't notice any duplicates.

I have learned to be patient with VZW for os updates on ALL their phones.

good Luck and welcome to the crack........
    10-16-08 02:46 PM
    Thanks for the great respones. Couple follow ups:
    1) Benefits of opera vs. built in browser?
    2) I do have a card, what video formats are supported? For example, can I burn a family guy dvd to my BB?
    3) Solutions for HTML email while we wait for verizon to get us 4.5?

THANKS!

1) i have never used opera on bb so I don't know

2)Family guy dvd can be syncd through the media manager and really make the work day go by faster espcially with a head set.

3) no love for HTML on the current OS unless you use the browser for access
    10-16-08 02:57 PM
    i like opera verse BB cuz it shows u pages exactly how it is supposed to be seen on a computer. Its as simple as that. As for apps, I have a trial of VZ Nav for 2 months which I will not continue, however, it is indeed a good navigation program. I just don't like the way verizon monopolizes this service. If they let us all choose, I probably would of picked their program anyway (so long pricing was competitive). However because they are forcing me, SCREW EM! I'll get me a garmin nuvi thank u very much!

As for other programs, I like the BB website versions of AIM, Yahoo, and MSN messenger. They are 100% better than the cheesy verizon app that uses ur text messages as IMs. Which is by the way another form of finger @#$&ing its customers into a texting plan.

I also use to a lesser extent, flickr, cnn, bank of america, pocket express, facebook, and google maps, and picasa. Theres a few more in btwn those r the most I use.
    10-16-08 03:08 PM
    If it was just that easy

10-29-08 12:01 PM
    I updated my Verizon 8330 to 4.5.77 with no issues, and this is my first BB. Didn't know it gave VZN people issues. Mine works fine. I actually got mine replaced because my ear speaker sounded like S**T, that is why I loaded the new OS in the first place, to see if it would fix it, but it didn't. I installed 4.5.77 on my replacement with no issues at all. I just followed all the steps on the forums.
    10-29-08 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD