Check this out. Doesn't this look quite similar to what TH has been talking about in regards to "mobile computing" If anyone is executing Thors vision its these guys.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/7/22...aunch-pictures

What do you guys and gals think?
    the_sleuth likes this.
    07-22-13 11:28 AM
    Yay for a company taking the Razr Edge and making it seem cool lol, it's interesting, and Ubuntu OS was cool on my galaxy nexus, however 128GB drive on a phone? can you say overkill.
    07-22-13 11:30 AM
    The design is great. BlackBerry should be taking notes.
    07-22-13 11:42 AM

Excellent video. I would love to see this go somewhere and test the device.
    07-22-13 11:44 AM
    Hopefully this will be more successful at this kind if integration than the Moto Atrix was a few years ago. But yeah, this is what I imagine when I think of Heins' one-device vision.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-22-13 11:48 AM
    Yay for a company taking the Razr Edge and making it seem cool lol, it's interesting, and Ubuntu OS was cool on my galaxy nexus, however 128GB drive on a phone? can you say overkill.
    128gb will be the minimum if they're going to do what they're talking about doing. Plug in a big screen, keyboard and mouse, and all of a sudden your phone is your desktop.
    07-22-13 11:51 AM
    If this was ready 2 years ago, this would've been on Nokias.
    haringjuan likes this.
    07-22-13 12:00 PM
    The phone looks so simple its boring to look at lol

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 12:05 PM
    The phone looks so simple its boring to look at lol

Posted via CB10
    I think its more about the OS than the hardware visuals.
    ryanza, edu3110 and Blacklatino like this.
    07-22-13 12:27 PM
    I think its more about the OS than the hardware visuals.
    I know, it's just the look of the phone itself makes me yawwnn

Posted via CB10
    Bor Navas likes this.
    07-22-13 12:57 PM
    It's called elegance.

It will be my next phone if BB does not get it's act together.
    07-22-13 01:05 PM
    I think Canonical and BlackBerry have visions that are very similar for the future of mobile computing. The biggest difference: Canonical is putting it out there what they want to do. Look at their website, you can see concept videos of all their devices(phone, tablet, TV, etc) and how they will eventually all work together. They even have developer preview builds available for Nexus hardware. This certainly won't kill BlackBerry since it's so far off(May 2014) and BB10 is in our hands now. But I think it will definitely take away some of BlackBerry's thunder unless they unveil something truly awesome. Unfortunately, I think if Ubuntu actually delivers a good experience and get it into people's hands, and then BlackBerry launches whatever it is they have up their sleeve, most people will end up seeing it as a "me too" type of deal.

I really enjoy BlackBerry and to be fair I haven't given BB10 a good trial(still waiting on Sprint's Q10). But, what I'm seeing today is the start of something big. Then again, I'm just a guy in front of the computer, I am not privy to all the information BlackBerry and Canonical have. For all we know BlackBerry could have been waiting for this and will now blow the lid off of their own solution!
    07-22-13 01:35 PM
    bb must think and do some great work in Mobile Computing
    haringjuan likes this.
    07-22-13 01:45 PM
    its DO or DIE now guys ,they have to get their act together
    haringjuan likes this.
    07-22-13 01:45 PM
    Canonical and Microsoft have desktop operating systems, and their challenge is to scale it to work on mobile devices. This is difficult but is doable.

Blackberry has a mobile operating system, and BBRY's vision is that it scales up to become your desktop. Not only is this very difficult technically but economically? It may well be impossible. If BBRY can't even get the apps it wants on mobile, how are they going to get the desktop apps?

Canonical is doing something about this now, Heins is talking up a vision that has no details and no roadmap. Ubuntu has at least a five year head start on BBRY on technology. Ten years on the ecosystem.
    07-22-13 02:05 PM
    Its just interesting to see how this vision has been laid out for us to clearly see and understand. I'm wanting to believe BlackBerrys vision but I just have a feeling they're scrambling to throw things together. I would love to beleive that they have some cool secrets hidden away from us but I highly doubt that's the case.

In terms of the phones design I think it looks pretty bad-***. I definitely like the idea of having a phone capable of projecting a useful OS on a screen. Come on BlackBerry show us what you mean by mobile computing !

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-22-13 02:56 PM
    I am a real believer in the "ubuntu/linux PC OS" philosophy. Will definitely look at it. But I sure like my BlackBerry!

From Zed to U via CB10
    07-22-13 03:00 PM
    Canonical and Microsoft have desktop operating systems, and their challenge is to scale it to work on mobile devices. This is difficult but is doable.

Blackberry has a mobile operating system, and BBRY's vision is that it scales up to become your desktop. Not only is this very difficult technically but economically? It may well be impossible. If BBRY can't even get the apps it wants on mobile, how are they going to get the desktop apps?

Canonical is doing something about this now, Heins is talking up a vision that has no details and no roadmap. Ubuntu has at least a five year head start on BBRY on technology. Ten years on the ecosystem.
    I totally agree! From what I have seen it looks smooth and extremely neat. That also goes back to a point from my post: Canonical has something to show for their vision of the ecosystem. BlackBerry has only shown us the phone portion and talked about the rest.

I would argue that for a desktop environment people would be more forgiving. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter app for desktop? Generally most people just use the website. If the BB10 desktop has a good browser(which from what I have read the BB10 browser is pretty awesome) then the app situation won't matter as much on the desktop. The only one I would argue they would need is Netflix, beyond that a good browser should cover the majority of apps. Need to run Skype? Have it started as a floating window to run next to everything else.
    07-22-13 03:02 PM
    eh. great idea but as I say with all new tech/software that's coming onto the market, unless you're a developer, best to just wait it out after release and let everybody else pay to do the company's "beta testing" for them until the major bugs are finally worked out ;p

Then comparisons can be accurately made. imo
    07-22-13 03:11 PM
    Well, technically, BBRY has QNX 6.X, which can run on the desktop. Can you find a living soul who has it or has a user application is the question.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-22-13 03:11 PM
    Very cool what they hope to be able to do.

But what you can do with a Surfaces Windows 8 tablet (not the RT version) is very cool now. And I imagine that a phone running Windows 8 isn't too far behind. Which will also be cool, and probable a little more useful.
    07-22-13 03:12 PM
    But you can plug your Z10 into the monitor and use it now.People are just unaware and BB marketing team sucks once again at not showing it.Even after Thor has talked about it.

Miracast is on the way in 10.2 for wireless and to use on smart tvs.BB dont stop here though they want to update cars,and machines.Competetion is good.

Although i wonder what happens if somoene uses this on a touchscreen monitor.The future could be bridge onto MS,Mac laptops/tabtops.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 07-22-13 at 05:38 PM.
    07-22-13 03:21 PM
    I totally agree! From what I have seen it looks smooth and extremely neat. That also goes back to a point from my post: Canonical has something to show for their vision of the ecosystem. BlackBerry has only shown us the phone portion and talked about the rest.

I would argue that for a desktop environment people would be more forgiving. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter app for desktop? Generally most people just use the website. If the BB10 desktop has a good browser(which from what I have read the BB10 browser is pretty awesome) then the app situation won't matter as much on the desktop. The only one I would argue they would need is Netflix, beyond that a good browser should cover the majority of apps. Need to run Skype? Have it started as a floating window to run next to everything else.
    Think about the Office apps though. This is still the primary use case of desktops. Ubuntu has the LibreOffice suite, which is 100 times more functional than Docs To Go.
    07-22-13 03:29 PM
    But you can plug your Z10 into the monitor and use it now.People are just unaware and BB marketing team sucks once again at not showing it.Even after Thor has talked about it.
    It's actually pretty unusable. I believe even the PBOS was better at doing this. Here's a few problems I encountered within the first couple of minutes of trying it.
    - the home screen only works in portrait. If the phone is in landscape orientation, forget the mouse. You have to tilt your head and use your finger to switch active frames
    - Ctrl-c and ctrl-v and other keyboard shortcuts don't work
    - the mouse scrollwheel doesn't work in the browser
    - the mouse isn't recognized at all when I tried to use it in a game

Compare those videos to this one of someone trying to use a Galaxy note as a desktop

While that demo was pretty impressive, However Android doesn't have the heavy duty Office-compatible apps not to mention the desktop pedigree of Ubuntu. I'm still betting on Canonical or Microsoft.
    07-22-13 03:40 PM
    heed my words everyone. If you want a future proof phone invest in ubuntu/edge, because you will never and I reinterate NEVER see a blackberry with specs like this let alone being an open platform and dual booting.

blackberry is also in no place to be building a phone like this they care more about margins rather than giving people what they want.

even in 2014 next year this edge will still destroy everything else in the market. mid to late 2013 we will only start to see 3 gigs of ram in phones.

that build quality looks utterly fantastic and on par or better than apples designs.

it is a shame though many along with myself would kill for blackberry to be able to be able to build hardware anywhere near as wonderful as the edge.
    07-22-13 03:47 PM
262 123 ...