View Poll Results: US BlackBerry: Did in-store reps try to convince you to switch from BlackBerry to another platform?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (VERIZON)

8 22.22%
  • Yes (AT&T)

4 11.11%
  • Yes (T-Mobile)

5 13.89%
  • Yes (Sprint)

0 0%
  • No (Verizon)

5 13.89%
  • No (AT&T)

8 22.22%
  • No (T-Mobile)

5 13.89%
  • No (Sprint)

1 2.78%
    Just curious, based on a number of comments...

If you're in the U.S. and recently upgraded to BlackBerry 10 (Z10, Q10), did the carriers try to convince you to switch to another platform?
    nquyen likes this.
    07-21-13 03:22 PM
    I think you forgot the poll part of the thead lol

Never mind. Poll is live.
    07-21-13 03:27 PM
    I think you forgot the poll part of the thead lol
    I might have done it wrong. I hit submit and THEN put in the poll questions... Thanks though!
    07-21-13 03:30 PM
    I got mine at best buy in Cali and the reps were all excited to see it and mess with it. That was March 22 when it came out. Yesterday I went and they didn't even have a Q10 on display. So I'm not sure where the excitement went.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 03:33 PM
    Verizon store here in Cypress,Ca. tried to get me to buy an SG4 but I stuck to my request for a Q10. The rep said,"fine but you will be back for a touch screen".
    07-21-13 03:39 PM
    The rep didn't try to make me switch, but he also didn't know how to use it. He probably thought I was crazy, as do all my friends! I don't care. The Q10 is perfect for me
    07-21-13 03:47 PM
    Verizon store here in Cypress,Ca. tried to get me to buy an SG4 but I stuck to my request for a Q10. The rep said,"fine but you will be back for a touch screen".
    I'm in Canada, and even here I had to endure a bit of condescension. The rep seemed genuinely surprised that an iPhone user would want to switch to BlackBerry... Bear in mind that I was a customer and he was an employee.

As someone who owns product from Microsoft, Apple, Asus (Android Tablet) and BlackBerry I was just a bit cheesed...

The anti-BlackBerry thing seems to be a 'meme' that's gone viral. I use every other platform and they have their own issues, but it seems like BlackBerry bears the brunt of the criticism these days.
    07-21-13 03:48 PM
    I bought my Q10 at an AT&T store and the employees were like "good choice, great phone" and one of them said he had a Q10 himself. no dissuading whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 03:49 PM
    i got mine without any complaint from the sales rep. Sasktel.

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-21-13 03:52 PM
    If you go to a store and say you want BlackBerry Most reps will give it to you without any soliciting. That has been my experience

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 04:08 PM
    ...every other platform and they have their own issues, but it seems like BlackBerry bears the brunt of the criticism these days.
    Yeah and it's not warranted! Super annoying though!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-21-13 04:13 PM
    I shopped around because I wanted to leave Sprint. I visited 2 AT&T stores, one Verizon store and a T mobile store. All of them tried to steer me away from Z10. Mostly towards a windows phone. A couple of situations left me a little angry. For some reason I decided to check out a second T-Mobile store, in Dublin, Ohio. There was a rep there that was very Pro BlackBerry and was packing a 9900. He was very helpful and when the Z10 was finally released that's who I went with to purchase 4 Z10's for my family. I recently popped in and they had 2 separate display sections on each side of the store featuring the Z and Q.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    07-21-13 04:16 PM
    Yeah and it's not warranted! Super annoying though!
    Swiped On My Zed10
    As someone who never used BlackBerry in the past I was genuinely surprised by the dismissive attitude I received.

Anyway, as usual, this thread has no traction. I'd love to see a similar poll on the CB home page where it can generate a real response... I've read comments on various threads about bad experiences with US carrier reps in-store. I'd love to know if there's any basis to these claims!
    07-21-13 04:19 PM
    TMobile manager was using and pushing Z10. Stayed with AT&T, when I upgraded my 9810, I had figured out that Z10 wasn't going to work for me. The sales lady even tried to keep me on BB. Asked again if I was sure when she rang me up. I was happy with the service I got from her and was even happier to see her trying to push BB. I don't want the smart phone market to be a two horse race. (Even though the Nokia 920 was tempting, I don't care if WinMo goes away).
    07-21-13 04:45 PM
    TMobile manager was using and pushing Z10. Stayed with AT&T, when I upgraded my 9810, I had figured out that Z10 wasn't going to work for me. The sales lady even tried to keep me on BB. Asked again if I was sure when she rang me up. I was happy with the service I got from her and was even happier to see her trying to push BB. I don't want the smart phone market to be a two horse race. (Even though the Nokia 920 was tempting, I don't care if WinMo goes away).
    What did you end up switching to? Just curious.
    07-21-13 04:48 PM
    I got a " are you sure "

I was then...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 04:53 PM
    I got a " are you sure "

I was then...

Posted via CB10
    I never react well to that question...
    07-21-13 04:54 PM
    I bought mine on release day morning at Best Buy and then went to the corporate AT&T store to buy a case. The employees at Best Buy did not know anything about the BB but were interested in it after I explained it to them. A couple said they may give it a try. At the AT&T store no one seem to be excited about the Z10 and of course they had no cases on release day.
    07-21-13 05:47 PM
    Yes. AT&T Store and a Radio Shack tried to make me get an iPhone and Samsung device. The Radio Shack gut went as far as to tell me that the Z10 runs Android so I might as well just get a Samsung. The Rep at AT&T just flat out told me that the Z10 was a horrible phone and I should get an iPhone 5.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 06:09 PM
    So did you buy the Q10?

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    07-21-13 06:17 PM
    I bought mine on release day morning at Best Buy and then went to the corporate AT&T store to buy a case. The employees at Best Buy did not know anything about the BB but were interested in it after I explained it to them. A couple said they may give it a try. At the AT&T store no one seem to be excited about the Z10 and of course they had no cases on release day.
    It's funny, I personally would expect your experience to be the norm!

I started the poll and thread because of other comments where people said they were discouraged from getting a BlackBerry phone...

Part of it has to do prior commitments... EG. Verizon's commitment to iPhone that may end up costing them 14 BILLION dollars...

Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones - Bloomberg

It's not hard to understand why reps would be instructed to direct customers to iPhone in light of that fact!
    07-21-13 06:17 PM
    My Verizon rep knows better than to try to talk me out of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 06:29 PM
    Actually, I won my Z10 in the Alicia Keyes/AT&T contest. The day after it arrived, I went to my local att store to have a new sim card installed. Had that done at no charge, my account transferred from my Torch 9800, at no charge. I did buy a BB7 belt holster.
    07-21-13 06:45 PM
    I bought my Z10 on March 22 and the salesman didn't try to talk me out of it. He wouldn't have been able to anyway. My experience if you do your research first and act like you know what you are doing sales people will back off, show respect and give you what you ask for.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:14 PM
    Yep, verizon rep tried to get be to buy an iphone 5. Said it was a better phone than the BlackBerry Q10 for the same price. I bought the Q10...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:16 PM
47 12