I have been doing quite a bit of research on upcoming BlackBerry devices, the A10 is exciting, I love that BlackBerry is changing their tune and building more devices that are not only great at communication, but satisfying media needs as well. With the Q5 being launched you'd expect a parallel device to accompany it just like the Z10 and Q10.
    In my research I came across a few articles and pictures of a device rumored to be the BlackBerry Z5. BlackBerry wants to cover all their price points and offer as many options as possible. I personally believe the Z5 will be the way to go.
    Motorola released the RAZR M, which is a thicker, smaller in size overall, and less spec'd phone than the RAZR HD, and RAZR Maxx HD, but it still sells very well. Its lower price point and large screen for its size and not to mention good battery life make it ideal for many.
    If BlackBerry can give it's consumers more bang for their buck, I believe they can have a hot seller, much like the Pearl series. Many people loved the Pearl for its small size and the fact that it did not lack any of Blackberry's features.
    I think their should and will be a lot of talk and sales of a phone like the Z5 if it's done right. Keep all of the features of a Z10, maybe step down the screen quality marginally, decrease the bezel on the screen using as much of the front real estate of the phone as possible and keep the phone affordable and let's not forget the battery life, give the phone a battery that seems unnecessary.
    For many who are not crazy about physical keyboards and thinks smaller phones are better phones, Phablets are ridiculous, and like a strong battery to get them through more than a day of communication, this phone will appeal to them. Its a strong assumption, bit it could even be a best seller like the Pearl series.
    If you have not heard of the Z5 check it out.

Attachment 184365
    Attached Thumbnails Z5, would you buy it?-bb-z5_500x375-500x366.jpg   Z5, would you buy it?-blackberry-z5-leak.jpg  
    07-20-13 01:30 AM
    Probably !?
    07-20-13 02:44 AM
    Agreed except for the part about stepping down screen quality. It should equal if not be better than the z10 depending on when it is released. There are things to compromise on bit screen and camera should never be on that list as those are the first things a consumer will look to in a device that is to last a year or two.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 03:13 AM
    I have two Q5 phones contract with Virgin UK
    07-20-13 05:01 AM
    Simply, no.
    07-20-13 10:31 AM
    All depends on the price difference and what exactly the Z5 will lack.
    07-20-13 10:40 AM
    No I have z10

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:42 AM
    No, because it'd cost 500$
    The Z10 is 430~ unlocked, ATM, so I really see no point.
    Besides, the Z10 is already a mid range device.
    07-20-13 10:45 AM
    That's the thing that concerns me - the price. BlackBerry does like to go for the premium price point; even the Q5 is costly for what it is.

If BlackBerry get the price right, whatever devices they have will do well!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    07-20-13 11:02 AM
    Some people baffle me, I'd never ask anyone to go to a lesser spec'd phone from a Z10 or Q10 I think this would be a great entry level device, not designed to replace the Z10. I do agree though that pricing would be important, Holding the Z5 always under the price of the Z10 would be paramount to success.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 11:40 AM
    Agreed except for the part about stepping down screen quality. It should equal if not be better than the z10 depending on when it is released. There are things to compromise on bit screen and camera should never be on that list as those are the first things a consumer will look to in a device that is to last a year or two.

Posted via CB10
    I get what you are saying, but some things may need to be sacrificed to keep the phone affordable, and we are talking an entry level device.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 11:44 AM
    The z10 will be a "z5" next year

Swordsmanship Channel: C000C9AF6
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-20-13 01:35 PM
    People tend to forget, most if not all android oems are component/electronic parts manufacturers, it cost them less to manufacture phones then it does BlackBerry, because the manufacturer the screen, or chips, or both for some company's.

BlackBerry has to buy every piece of hardware in there devices, this makes releasing cheaper models harder when your only profit from the phone is from hardware.
    Never mind the fact BlackBerry devices are manufactured in Canada and Mexico.

A z5 with or without a slider would be a good device depending on the price which BlackBerry would charge a lot for.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-20-13 04:17 PM
    I would buy a z5 based purely on size-- I like a smaller device that actually fits into my front pants pocket. I went from z10 to q10 b/c of size and keyboard, but now I actually miss the virtual keyboard of the z10, so I have come to the conclusion that I like the virtual keyboard of the z and the size of q, thus I will take a z5 please. Thanks.
    07-22-13 12:43 AM