So I went ahead and spent my upgrade on a new Q10...and I'm kinda regretting it. I miss my trackpad!! I can't imagine why they got rid of this crucial feature on the Q10. Yes I'm aware of the need for space for the screen. But given that these phones are miniature computers, the trackpad serves as the mouse. And you need a mouse to use a computer. Put the trackpad on the back of the phone if you have to, but don't eliminate it....that's a backwards move. Without it, everything is compromised. Any editing of text is twice as hard. I'm seriously thinking of selling my Q10 and returning to the 9900. One of my biggest concerns is the 32gig card instead of the 64 on the Q10. I am going to miss that extra space because I'm a music junkie and not everything will fit on the 32, along with everything else. Think they'll ever improve on the 9900 with a faster processor and more storage? Or is it just a dead end and they'll never do anything more with the Bold line?
    07-18-13 11:25 PM
    To be 100 percent honest I wish they would make another 9900 with a better camera and an android emulator. That would be a great device. There's so much missing on the q10, I will hang on to my 9900 as a daily driver till the price drops and more features are added. I want to see progression and with the glimpses of 10.2.... I can see this is going in the right direction. I have been working on earning cascades and it's very impressive. So much potential.

Posted via CB10
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    07-18-13 11:55 PM
    So I went ahead and spent my upgrade on a new Q10...and I'm kinda regretting it. I miss my trackpad!! I can't imagine why they got rid of this crucial feature on the Q10. Yes I'm aware of the need for space for the screen. But given that these phones are miniature computers, the trackpad serves as the mouse. And you need a mouse to use a computer. Put the trackpad on the back of the phone if you have to, but don't eliminate it....that's a backwards move. Without it, everything is compromised. Any editing of text is twice as hard. I'm seriously thinking of selling my Q10 and returning to the 9900. One of my biggest concerns is the 32gig card instead of the 64 on the Q10. I am going to miss that extra space because I'm a music junkie and not everything will fit on the 32, along with everything else. Think they'll ever improve on the 9900 with a faster processor and more storage? Or is it just a dead end and they'll never do anything more with the Bold line?
    Nope, I believe the 9720 will be their last 7.1 device. My best advice is to adapt and overcome.
    eddy_berry and The Aficionado like this.
    07-19-13 12:14 AM
    That's my concern with the Q10. I know many people who have the phone don't miss the trackpad, but to me a touch screen and trackpad are the perfect combination for a Blackberry with physical keys because of the reduced screen size. I love my 9900 and every time I go to a store and play with the Q10 I leave appreciating my 9900 even more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-19-13 12:37 AM
    Hiya, OP! How long have you had your Q10? I agree with you in regards to the trackpad; I really miss it. However, I'm learning to adapt to the device. Selecting text definitely still sucks, though. I'm about three weeks in with the device and can say I'm doing better.

Posted via CB10
    The Aficionado likes this.
    07-19-13 12:47 AM
    That's my concern with the Q10. I know many people who have the phone don't miss the trackpad, but to me a touch screen and trackpad are the perfect combination for a Blackberry with physical keys because of the reduced screen size. I love my 9900 and every time I go to a store and play with the Q10 I leave appreciating my 9900 even more.

Hybrid OS's making the Bold work so well the 9900 does everything I want it to do the way I want it to (and am used to)

If I'm going to have to adapt to a new OS then I think that it would be sensible to adopt one that is mature rather than beta Test for BB so no Q on the horizon for me.

No idea where I will be going next but hopefully that day is a long way off as I intent to source a new 9900 to hold back for the day when my current daily driver cries enough !!!
    FF22, finnove, BullGuard8 and 1 others like this.
    07-19-13 05:55 AM
    One of my biggest concerns is the 32gig card instead of the 64 on the Q10. I am going to miss that extra space because I'm a music junkie and not everything will fit on the 32, along with everything else. Think they'll ever improve on the 9900 with a faster processor and more storage? Or is it just a dead end and they'll never do anything more with the Bold line?
    I think you can use a 64GB memory card on the Q10 - you just need to format it when you insert it in to the device.
    07-19-13 05:59 AM
    I'm going to wait for a future device.
    Bb10 has lots of potential for growth being that it is a first release, but I am much more productive on a bold.

We need all keyboard shortcuts back and easy text selection.
    yeezus and bigdogweigand like this.
    07-19-13 08:47 AM
    OP There are a few threads out there which discuss a software based trackpad app which essentially gives you a virtual trackpad. I know that doesn't solve all of your problems but perhaps search for those threads (Kris, do you recall reading any of these and if it was just for the Z or if they got it running on a Q as well?) and see if you can tailor your Q a little better to your needs and see if it doesn't grow on you?

From what I've read, the 10.2 leaks show massive potential (above and beyond the steps already taken) but in the end you have to love the device you use.. If you don't then you need to ask yourself why and pick the device that will work best for you. Kind of like me insisting on using my jank old tower at home with Windows 98 on it because I have it set up and optimized for what I need it to do.. may be old but it responds how I expect it to and does its job well.
    07-19-13 09:00 AM
    To be 100 percent honest I wish they would make another 9900 with a better camera and an android emulator. That would be a great device. There's so much missing on the q10, I will hang on to my 9900 as a daily driver till the price drops and more features are added. I want to see progression and with the glimpses of 10.2.... I can see this is going in the right direction. I have been working on earning cascades and it's very impressive. So much potential.
    This is a good way to go. Right now I find the OS on the Q10 lacking in many areas. Examples - very few options on the Q10 for customizing notifications...no loudspeaker notification as long as headphones are plugged in. If you happen to have the headphones in your pocket at the time...guess you miss those texts and emails. The music player on the Q10 is a definite downgrade. No EQ adjustability whatsoever. Using the volume up/down, no ability to skip forward or back a track. These are real-world, every day usability concerns that were either ignored or dropped on the Q10, and I'm hoping they will be addressed in future OS updates. In the meantime...oh well.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 12:31 PM
    I think you can use a 64GB memory card on the Q10 - you just need to format it when you insert it in to the device.
    Sorry...maybe I don't write clearly....I was trying to say that if I downgrade back to the 9900 I will miss the 64 gig SD card I currently use with my Q10....
    07-19-13 12:33 PM
    Hiya, OP! How long have you had your Q10? I agree with you in regards to the trackpad; I really miss it. However, I'm learning to adapt to the device. Selecting text definitely still sucks, though. I'm about three weeks in with the device and can say I'm doing better.

Posted via CB10
    It's been about a month for me. People are saying I should adapt...but the raw truth is that I don't like swiping on glass. I like my glass clean and not all fingerprinty. I'd rather use a trackpad and a menu button to navigate across the glass whether I'm editing text or opening/closing programs. How many times on the Q10 does it get confused when you're trying to minimize a program but you end up hitting one of the buttons on that page? Then you end up staring at the screen longer and trying to figure stuff out....looking like all the rest of the youth walking around staring at their glass phones. I'm not digging it. The 9900 form and UI was far superior. I would be happy as a pig in **** if they just updated that with better camera, more storage, faster processor...etc.
    Last edited by sulcopete; 07-19-13 at 01:06 PM.
    Legal Eagle, L u i s and fkornre like this.
    07-19-13 12:48 PM
    Nope, I believe the 9720 will be their last 7.1 device. My best advice is to adapt and overcome.
    I totally hear you on this. That's what I've been trying to do because I do want to stay current. But there comes a point where I'd like the phone to meet me halfway...and work the way I need it to. If I didn't feel that the 9900 does things more easily and efficiently I wouldn't be writing this right now. I think it's a move in the wrong direction to remove UI avenues and force people to use a touchscreen. One of the things I loved most about the 9900 is that you frequently had the option to navigate with trackpad or use touchscreen! That was pure brilliance! Touchscreen when you needed it for certain things...but trackpad worked great for everyday stuff such as editing text. Another reason for it being a mistake to get rid of the trackpad is that the trackpad functioned as a mouse on a computer and offered the same precision. Why would you move away from that, especially as the browser is getting so good? The finger just don't do it as easily and quickly...and the blue dots and circles aren't cutting it. Not for a person like me who just wants to get the editing done and do it quickly.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-19-13 01:00 PM
    It's been about a month for me. People are saying I should adapt...but the raw truth is that I don't like swiping on glass. I like my glass clean and not all fingerprinty. I'd rather use a trackpad and a menu button to navigate across the glass whether I'm editing text or opening/closing programs. How many times on the Q10 does it get confused trying to minimize a program but you end up hitting one of the buttons on that page? Then you end up staring at the screen longer and trying to figure stuff out....looking like all the rest of the youth walking around staring at their glass phones. I'm not digging it. The 9900 form and UI was far superior. I would be happy as a pig in **** if they just updated that with better camera, more storage, faster processor...etc.
    I went to the store to try the Q10, loved the speed, loved the camera so much, but no trackpad and no end call, call, speed dials, made it for me

I need a device to increase my productivity and the Q10 just made me sit and stare like you when trying to perform basic functions.

So I bought a brand new 9900 again after having switched to Android Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5. they all suck to someone who swears by phyrical buttons / trackpad
    L u i s, FF22 and Legal Eagle like this.
    07-19-13 01:03 PM
    OP There are a few threads out there which discuss a software based trackpad app which essentially gives you a virtual trackpad. I know that doesn't solve all of your problems but perhaps search for those threads (Kris, do you recall reading any of these and if it was just for the Z or if they got it running on a Q as well?) and see if you can tailor your Q a little better to your needs and see if it doesn't grow on you?
    Virtual trackpad would be HUGE. Not sure if the capacity is there because the optical trackpad measures very small movements of the finger and I'm not sure the touchscreen has the hardware beneath the glass to function in the same way. It encourages me that people are trying though....thanks for sharing and I will check out your recommended threads.

From what I've read, the 10.2 leaks show massive potential (above and beyond the steps already taken) but in the end you have to love the device you use.. If you don't then you need to ask yourself why and pick the device that will work best for you. Kind of like me insisting on using my jank old tower at home with Windows 98 on it because I have it set up and optimized for what I need it to do.. may be old but it responds how I expect it to and does its job well.
    07-19-13 01:04 PM
    Hybrid OS's making the Bold work so well the 9900 does everything I want it to do the way I want it to (and am used to)

If I'm going to have to adapt to a new OS then I think that it would be sensible to adopt one that is mature rather than beta Test for BB so no Q on the horizon for me.

No idea where I will be going next but hopefully that day is a long way off as I intent to source a new 9900 to hold back for the day when my current daily driver cries enough !!!
    I agree Legal. I've been using a hybrid for quite a while now and love it. That said, the latest OS looks real good so I think I'm going to update to that in the meantime while their cooking up the latest hybrid for it. My WIFI has been horrible of late since my move to AZ. So maybe a new update will help with that.

07-19-13 02:17 PM
    I have both the Z10 and the Q10 and constantly use my 9900 on WiFi at home.

The combination of the touch screen and track pad is wonderful. However, the things that I miss the most about the 9900 is BIS, data compression, and the ability to choose to delete emails from the handheld only or mailbox and handheld.

And I also miss the ability to customize notifications, vibrate only in holster, etc.

BB10 has some awesome features, but I still miss my 9900.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-19-13 02:59 PM
    I agree Legal. I've been using a hybrid for quite a while now and love it. That said, the latest OS looks real good so I think I'm going to update to that in the meantime while their cooking up the latest hybrid for it. My WIFI has been horrible of late since my move to AZ. So maybe a new update will help with that.

Hi Howard

FYI New BL Hybrid OS based on .1033 released yesterday and it is a good one as always
    howards likes this.
    07-20-13 03:33 AM
    I have both the Z10 and the Q10 and constantly use my 9900 on WiFi at home.

The combination of the touch screen and track pad is wonderful. However, the things that I miss the most about the 9900 is BIS, data compression, and the ability to choose to delete emails from the handheld only or mailbox and handheld.

And I also miss the ability to customize notifications, vibrate only in holster, etc.

BB10 has some awesome features, but I still miss my 9900.
    That's it! I'm dropping my sim card into the 9900, loading hybrid OS then later getting an ipod touch or something else smaller with a good camera. Miss the magnetic holster too. This phone can't be everything no matter how much I want it to be and talk up the camera.

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-22-13 02:21 AM

See this has me back to figuring out what to do. I'm torn between the Q10 and the A10. If I want touch, the A10 will be it as I'm on Sprint. But do I? Right now I'm on my 9930 and I suppose I'll have to try them both. I think on the Q10 I will miss the trackpad but on a phone like the A10, I don't think I will at all.
    07-22-13 02:12 PM
    But given that these phones are miniature computers, the trackpad serves as the mouse. And you need a mouse to use a computer.
    Oh don't worry. Folks are trying hard to get rid of the mouse on PCs, as wonderfully useful and precise as it is.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    FF22 and axllebeer like this.
    07-22-13 02:21 PM
    Oh don't worry. Folks are trying hard to get rid of the mouse on PCs, as wonderfully useful and precise as it is.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Remember these? The trackball mouse, I used to love it but I wouldn't want one now.
    Attached Thumbnails Got the Q10...but wanting to go back to the Bold 9900-_turbmos.jpg  
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-22-13 10:15 PM
    So then how do you all feel about the non-hybridized 9900 in terms of productivity (doc editing, internet browsing, enterprise email, using for both personal and business, etc) compared with the Q10?

I've been coming accross varying viewpoints, still just not sure if OS10 is mature enough for someone like me to invest in right now and consider reliable enough for business use.
    07-22-13 11:49 PM
    That's it! I'm dropping my sim card into the 9900, loading hybrid OS then later getting an ipod touch or something else smaller with a good camera. Miss the magnetic holster too. This phone can't be everything no matter how much I want it to be and talk up the camera.

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    I just went to the local corporate AT&T store today and had my service switched back to my Bold 9900. As I said in a previous post, BB10 has some awesome features, but the features that are missing is what made me return to the 9900...BIS, the ability to delete from the handheld only or mailbox and handheld, the ability to choose how the notifications function (vibrate only in holster, etc). I hope that the BB10 OS "matures" over time and will give us most of the features that we loved on OS7.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-25-13 05:23 PM
    I was playing with my buddy's Q10 on the weekend and I found myself reaching for the trackpad a lot more than I expected. Must be familiarity with that form factor because I never once noticed it being gone on my Z10. but something about it being above those keys historically is hard to shake. Even if the OS is 1000x better for a touch experience now.
    07-25-13 05:30 PM
27 12