Why do certain apps, that we pay for, require us to give them permission to access our personal data? Why does BlackBerry allow this to happen?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 09:30 PM
    Why do certain apps, that we pay for, require us to give them permission to access our personal data? Why does BlackBerry allow this to happen?

Posted via CB10

Welcome to the forums!

Some apps need to access APIs or even other apps in your phone in order to function properly. An app that changes the color of the LED notification depending on which contact is messaging you, needs to access the contacts app in order to do so.

Just keep an eye out for any strange requests (like a tic tac toe game asking for your passwords).

There isn't really much to it and apps that come from BlackBerry World are usually only approved after some testing (which includes security).
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    07-18-13 09:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Can you be more specific to app and what personal data? Many of these times these are features, different OS's have different openness about this for various reasons. In general it is a warning to the user of what the app can/may access, beyond that we would need more details.
    07-18-13 09:37 PM
    People are too paranoid in the BlackBerry World. For example, an app needs access to your files so that it can save the app/game data on the phone. Same with it needing an Internet connection so that it can save your score for the leader board on the cloud . It doesn't mean it is going to send your personal data across the internet for bad reasons.

Posted via Z10
    07-18-13 09:49 PM
    People are too paranoid in the BlackBerry World. For example, an app needs access to your files so that it can save the app/game data on the phone. Same with it needing an Internet connection so that it can save your score for the leader board on the cloud . It doesn't mean it is going to send your personal data across the internet for bad reasons.

Posted via Z10
    Also doesn't mean that it won't.

9700 > 9900 > Z10
    07-18-13 11:05 PM
    Gee Adv! No way to say that...well.. more nicely? Sorta like a grownup with manners? You see, dear, even tho you don't have any confidential or critical data, there are some people who have jobs, and data, and ethical and legal constraints on that data. I know that probably sounds awfully complicated. Maybe it would just be simpler to suggest you try to assume other people's situation might be different from yours and that being respectful will make you seem very grownup.

Posted via CB10 with *Z* BEST!
    07-18-13 11:28 PM

Posted via Z10
    I agree they are, and it's mostly past bbos users.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 11:52 PM
    Let's say I work for the KGB and create a front developer company to create...a flashlight app. I get camera permissions. Now I could tap into your video camera and see you.

Let's say I develop an app that can make voice notes. I get permissions to use your mic and access your files. Now I can hear you, and view the contents of your phone.
    And so on regarding GPS, location, etc.. etc...

I say apps need to specially state what it intends on using these permissions for, and BlackBerry needs to ensure apps don't cross those lines. I'd like to see BlackBerry get more specific on permissions and provide the user ways to monitor this on their device.

- aBBuser
    07-19-13 02:06 AM
    Let's say I work for the KGB and create a front developer company to create...a flashlight app. I get camera permissions. Now I could tap into your video camera and see you.

don't you mean "seen the inside of my pocket, the ceiling and eventually my surroundings", because really.... the phones send more time in pockets, tables and ears. that app would drain the battery before doing that much damage. And why go for s much trouble when our faces are all over the Internet?

Let's say I develop an app that can make voice notes. I get permissions to use your mic and access your files. Now I can hear you, and view the contents of your phone.
    And so on regarding GPS, location, etc.. etc...

Yeah, and then you'd have millions of hours of rubbish to listen for a one in a million change of anything useful. And millions of restaurant suggestions.

I say apps need to specially state what it intends on using these permissions for, and BlackBerry needs to ensure apps don't cross those lines. I'd like to see BlackBerry get more specific on permissions and provide the user ways to monitor this on their device.

Most apps do. None of my apps request permission for the whole phone am dif I think it is asking for something it shouldn't have, I disable that.

Don't all people with BlackBerry devices read? Surely they too can see when a game that can't connect to the Internet is requesting your contact's info and disable that.

- aBBuser
    My point is: none of us is that important. And besides grabbing info for spam (and possibly credit cards for exploitation), there are very few practical uses for such "phishing apps".

And if you download one, install it and doesn't pay attention to the permissions, whose fat is it, really?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 06:18 AM
    Haven't we learned that everything is databased for future use? And that computer programs and algorithms sift through the immense data. Not actual people are sitting there listening to everything. People come into play when something is flagged for review.

And a spambot could compile contact info, GPS data, site history, etc..

I'd just like a little more reassurance and control over this issue as it has limited my willingness to participate in the matrix.

- aBBuser
    Y2DJ likes this.
    07-19-13 12:20 PM
    This is the type of messages that I was talking about.

Posted via CB10

Stoopid picture won't attach.

Posted via CB10

And the security settings will not allow me to shut it off. I'm referring to the Tapatalk app.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07-19-13 at 02:35 PM. Reason: multiple posts in a row
    07-19-13 12:31 PM
    I agree they are, and it's mostly past bbos users.

Posted via CB10
    Geriatrics

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 12:48 PM
    And the security settings will not allow me to shut it off. I'm referring to the Tapatalk app.

Posted via CB10
    You probably have to enable the shared files permissions for the CB app. Lol.

I know what you mean, some apps won't let you modify the permissions and furthermore,some sideloads don't even show up on the permissions list. Ports and Sideloads can have full permissions and run headless in the background without your awareness. Skype does this and for that reason I only install Skype on the rare occasion that I will use it.

- aBBuser
    07-19-13 01:37 PM
    If you think bb10 is bad for permissions, I'd like to see the people complaining use ios and android lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 04:47 PM
    If you think bb10 is bad for permissions, I'd like to see the people complaining use ios and android lol.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely true. And BlackBerry is known for security and should develop more along this avenue.

- aBBuser
    07-19-13 05:52 PM
    Absolutely true. And BlackBerry is known for security and should develop more along this avenue.

- aBBuser
    They should and they are, ios and android don't let you turn any permission off, bb10 does so it is a step in the right direction even if it needs more work.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 05:03 PM