Just a question that popped into my head.

Or, do you think it works both ways, and BlackBerry is in a really rough spot that is nearly impossible to get out of?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:53 PM
    Both. But not enough to fail. They have done much better in the last year. Continuation of those efforts can pull them thru.

ATT just had Great TV ad showing how to manuever thru Hub, etc. This was badly needed for day one, but should help greatly now. This will help app situation you have raised.

Its all one Giant ongoing challenge!
    07-18-13 07:05 PM
    Well some of the big names keep coming, as time goes on, there will be less excuse for some to slight bb10 because of the apps. If apple has to seriously upgrade their os in the next couple years, people might see bb10 as an alternative and switch. I don't think blackberry desperately needs the users now, but they need to set themselves up into that sort of situation.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 09:02 PM
    Yes

Via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-18-13 09:02 PM
    Chicken or the egg?
    ClevelandBB likes this.
    07-18-13 09:16 PM
    neither, they need to change the "perception" that this the old BlackBerry, way way more keepmoving vans needed! hands on is the way to sell thus OS and devices.
    07-18-13 09:26 PM
    Unequivocally yes. I'm an Android guy who was originally a fan of BB, so initially I was excited to get a BB again when my phone broke. But I've had this Blackberry for a week and in spite of the great hardware, the paltry app store is painful.

I have yet to download an app I previously used on Android that I can say "Man, this is way better on BB!" Yelp, Google Maps, Kindle, Twitter, The Weather Channel. They are basic apps and they are all worse. By a lot. That isn't going to make people switch back (and there are millions upon millions who would).

Then there are the ones it doesn't have just for "fun" and comsumption. Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, the majority of games. Even my banker friends use these, but they don't exist here. Without these, the young user base isn't going to find BB appealing. A lot of us grew up in the BB generation, where for a few years everyone was on BBM and using their junior professional BBs. now it seems archaic sometimes in an app dominated world.

It's not just that, though. There is a complete lack of backwards compatibility between devices. I still know plenty of people who use BBs running os7, but they do not have access to great new apps and don't want to buy a new Blackberry phone just to have limited access to apps.

The App World is horrendously built, and so many apps are just crapware. I paid two bucks for a Maps app that was a tutorial on Maps apps for petes sake! The interface needs to change, and it isnt my job to have to figure out how.

Blackberry needs to go the Apple/Kevin Costner route and build it, so they will come. They're trying and i get that, but they need to try harder.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    07-18-13 09:42 PM
    Both, it's a "what came first the chicken or the egg" story.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 11:55 PM
    Those of us already here should just buy more apps. I plan on buying an app per week, even the ones I have no plans of using once a week, for well the foreseeable future. A dollar or two a week to support the platform, is something I won't feel. I do go for those with the Built for BlackBerry certification.

I like my phone that much.

Posted from my Zed 10
    07-19-13 03:47 AM
    I've remained a BlackBerry customer for so long, and never really missed out on apps. They are nice-to-have's. That said, I think we need more BlackBerry customers to justify more apps. Or developers who won't take sides and want to develop for BB10 o/s to challenge themselves.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 03:49 AM
    The actual number of Apps is more than enought.
    But most of them are crap !
    They need quality apps.
    Like Monkor said, the famous one`s from other platforms are the interesting one`s to get customer on your side !
    07-19-13 04:55 AM
    Give BlackBerry 10 Instagram, Netflix, Vine and a few more apps and people will start jumping on the ship.

It's so frustrating to think that 4 or 5 apps would make the whole situation better.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 05:00 AM
    Chicken or the egg?
    Yes. Exactly that. Not a nice spot to be standing.

Give BlackBerry 10 Instagram, Netflix, Vine and a few more apps and people will start jumping on the ship.

It's so frustrating to think that 4 or 5 apps would make the whole situation better.

Posted via CB10
    And those guys would only build for BlackBerry if they saw massive adoption..

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 06:49 AM
    As much as I hate to say it, apps are what will make or break a smartphone.

Canadian Z10 owner on Telus
    07-19-13 07:00 AM
    And both sides are a major part of the perception problem - why should someone switch from their current phone to BB10? What are the differentiators? Major apps. Nope. "Fully developed ecosystem" whatever that means? Nope. Similar look and feel to their tablet. Oops.

They have a long road ahead. Said that six months ago. Are things better than a year ago? Absolutely. Thor is an excellent cost cutter. He stemmed the bleeding (along with a few accounting tricks - all legal).
    diegonei likes this.
    07-19-13 07:09 AM
    And both sides are a major part of the perception problem - why should someone switch from their current phone to BB10? What are the differentiators? Major apps. Nope. "Fully developed ecosystem" whatever that means? Nope. Similar look and feel to their tablet. Oops.

They have a long road ahead. Said that six months ago. Are things better than a year ago? Absolutely. Thor is an excellent cost cutter. He stemmed the bleeding (along with a few accounting tricks - all legal).

The question is have the cuts affected BlackBerry's ability to perform? Sure didn't seem like they really put a lot into the launch here in the US... where they holding back a little?

How will it affect the company going forward? The launch was not as successful as was hoped for, and based on the AGM it sounds like they are digging in for a LONG road to recovery. Where else might they look to cut even more? Where might they look to raise operating capital?
    07-19-13 07:40 AM
    And both sides are a major part of the perception problem - why should someone switch from their current phone to BB10?
    When I first heard about the Z10 I was not sold. Luckily my carrier has a demo. I liked it, but my mind said no. Ecosystem to small and specifications too low. It took five visits to my carrier. It is the UI which I like. I feel like I work faster. Also it is more comfortable to use. Without home or back buttons you spend less time reaching down for the bottom of the bezel with your thumb. I don't know. I just really love the user interface and flow. I like The Hub too.

Posted from my Zed 10
    07-19-13 08:47 AM