With this quarter's mixed financial results, Nokia revealed that Lumia sales were up to a record high of 7.4 million. That means that the company sold more Windows Phones last quarter than BlackBerry sold phones. Just one year ago, BlackBerry was selling almost two phones for every one Lumia Nokia sold. It's a stark change of fortunes for the Canadian manufacturer, and appears to reaffirm Microsoft's statement that Windows Phone is now the third-place platform for smartphones. Of course, sales and shipments aren't everything; both companies are currently struggling to turn a profit, and face unique challenges on the road to recovery.

Nokia now sells more Lumias than BlackBerry sells phones-icu4.jpg

Source: Nokia now sells more Lumias than BlackBerry sells phones | The Verge
    07-18-13 06:11 AM
    Well lumia has a billion different versions so no surprise there.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    07-18-13 06:13 AM
    I hardly see lumia in my country. More bb10 device than lumia.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:13 AM
    They are both reboots of their smartphones, Nokia has been on the market much longer then BB10, let's wait until the full roll out is complete before we begin doing comparisons.
    peter9477, Qaxl and bitek like this.
    07-18-13 06:22 AM
    I'm happy for Nokia. Competition is always good.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-18-13 06:39 AM
    Microsoft has pretty much won 3rd place at this point. There is no where but down for blackberry to go from here on out unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    oscarcanada and Etios like this.
    07-18-13 06:40 AM
    BlackBerry just needs to keep fighting hard.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:43 AM
    Well lumia has a billion different versions so no surprise there.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    and how many BB10 and OS7 devices are there that are still selling? lol
    07-18-13 06:54 AM
    Microsoft has pretty much won 3rd place at this point.
    I wouldn't start cheering about it yet. ;-) Windows Phone has a bit more momentum but they have their own problems to worry about.

1. Most of Microsoft's volume is through Nokia and not all of Nokia's shareholders are happy with how well Windows Phone is going. It's gaining momentum but in the eyes of some, not enough for a company Nokia's size. They still have losses, they still have big debt. 7.4 million is an improvement, but less than what analysts expected as well. What happens to Windows Phone if - say, Nokia decides to go with a different OS?

2. They still have a fair piece to go to catch up to the BlackBerry userbase as a whole. 27 million Lumias ever sold (not all in use) still has a bit of growing to do to catch up to 72 million BlackBerrys. Hopefully an accelerated BlackBerry churn rate won't help Lumia with this victory
    07-18-13 06:54 AM
    Great going Blackberry. 3rd place wasn't enough was it. You just want to go lower don't you. Let's see how those new phones are going to sell at $700 pop with this saturated market.
    07-18-13 06:57 AM
    On 7th quarter of the Lumia switch they sell more Lumias than BlackBerry B10 on their 3rd quarter. Surprise!
    Two years ago Nokia was selling more of their Symbian smartphones than BlackBerry phones, now their Lumia smartphones are doing the same. Surprise!

Oh boy, this is again some nice piece of the Microsoft PR, good for them.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-18-13 07:07 AM
    1. "shipped" does not necessarily equal "sales".
    2. i live in a major metro top 10 east coast city in the US. i travel the country and have a lot of friends and business associates. i have NEVER EVER seen a Nokia Lumia in the wild. NOR have i ever seen a BB10 device in the wild!
    David in Durham and lorax1284 like this.
    07-18-13 07:29 AM
    Good news for Nokia, but not entirely relevant. Let's see how it goes for the next 2 quarters, when BB10 will have the chance to get some traction.
    --------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    Last edited by serbanescu; 07-18-13 at 10:20 AM.
    07-18-13 07:30 AM
    2. i live in a major metro top 10 east coast city in the US. i travel the country and have a lot of friends and business associates. i have NEVER EVER seen a Nokia Lumia in the wild. NOR have i ever seen a BB10 device in the wild!
    1. Yeah? Lumia still "shipped" more than blackberry "shipped". Thats all that matters here. The difference between getting more in the hands of retailers or hands of customers effects their bottom line marginally I'm sure (services aside).

2. I have seen a handful of lumias and not a single z10 in the wild.

Etios likes this.
    07-18-13 07:39 AM
    1. Yeah? Lumia still "shipped" more than blackberry "shipped". Thats all that matters here. The difference between getting more in the hands of retailers or hands of customers effects their bottom line marginally I'm sure (services aside).

2. I have seen a handful of lumias and not a single z10 in the wild.

it matters because one company could be channel stuffing more than the other. it may not be a true apples to apples comparison.
    07-18-13 07:43 AM
    lol Last 3 quarters say it all very close and BB owned both quarters.Even better facts are 1 BB device=3 lumia's in profit.The fact samsung already out do them in low end not sustainable.They might as well get married to M$.

A lumia device in the open is like catching a leprechaun and I club and move around through central london everyday.I have seen more BB10 devices out in open and that was minimal.Let alone the amount of legacy devices everywhere in london.BB are just dropping the ball on letting legacy users know that its upgrade time.They are really failing here spectacularly.Just 1 ,just 1 promo email would fasten adaptation especially with colourful Q5's.
    07-18-13 07:46 AM
    Nokia is today's beat up doll. Market and negative nannies are going to hound them today. Nokia has a bigger problem then BB. Nokia as a business is losing on a lot of fronts, Microsoft is paying them to make phones, so they need to really have blow out numbers. They dont. So this is going to way on them a LOT.
    07-18-13 07:49 AM
    They also do a better job at MARKETING than BlackBerry !!! that may only be a small part of it but I bet the marketing doesn't hurt does it??
    What else is interesting is you see pretty much people in the US only want Android and iOS (what a shame) the rest of the whole world at least supports BlackBerry and Nokia along with everyone else
    07-18-13 07:50 AM
    Nokia is today's beat up doll. Market and negative nannies are going to hound them today. Nokia has a bigger problem then BB. Nokia as a business is losing on a lot of fronts, Microsoft is paying them to make phones, so they need to really have blow out numbers. They dont. So this is going to way on them a LOT.
    i bet Nokia outlasts BB in this race. they have MSFT behind them.
    07-18-13 07:55 AM
    and then there is this.... Nokia loses $151 million in Q2 2013

Nokia loses $151 million in Q2 2013 | The Verge
    07-18-13 08:06 AM
    Hah, way to twist the awful numbers from nokia. Handset sales plunged 27% even with these cheap *** $120 Lumia 500's

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
    Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:06 AM
    Hah, way to twist the awful numbers from nokia. Handset sales plunged 27% even with these cheap *** $120 Lumia 500's

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
    Posted via CB10
    So Nokia's hand set sales plunged by 27% yet they still managed to out ship all BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry legacy devices with the Lumia line. Wow, that makes BlackBerry's situation seem even worst.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-18-13 08:12 AM
    That's a distinction without a difference here, since both companies report "shipped" numbers.

Okay. So neither is doing well where you live. That doesn't seem to add anything to the argument.

They are both reboots of their smartphones, Nokia has been on the market much longer then BB10, let's wait until the full roll out is complete before we begin doing comparisons.
    True, but according to the article, Nokia outshipped all BB devices, not merely BB10. This fact may ultimately be meaningless, but let's at least make sure we're clear on what the facts are.
    07-18-13 08:14 AM
    WP8 is gaining momentum. You will start to see other manufacturers start offering WP8 devices.
    Their app store is growing daily.

It's clear that Microsoft will own 3rd place. This is not good news for BB.
    Saiga and Etios like this.
    07-18-13 08:15 AM
    This debate is moot until q5 and q10 has had a full quarter release to all markets like Nokia has with their current lineup. Next two quarters will give us a good read on who will control the third spot.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:21 AM
267 123 ...