I'm sad to say that I lost my new Z10 after a having it for a month, or possibly had it stolen last night near the Strip.

I was sitting at the bus stop near Tropicana and Las Vegas Blvd. and I just sent a tweet on my phone when it died. I put it in my purse, or I thought I did, and some guy selling water walks by and I give him a dollar. Some time between when I was sitting at the bus stop and by the time I got home, it disappeared. If it had fallen out of my purse, surely I would've heard it hit the ground since it was in a case, but I didn't hear it fall out or didn't feel it fall out in any way. I was sitting next to another guy; my theory is he reached into my purse somehow and snatched it while I was distracted by the guy selling water.

I tried BB Protect when I got home, but it couldn't locate the device. My Z is insured so I'm going to T-Mobile to get a new one today. I'm so upset since I had all these great pics and videos on my phone I took of an event I attended that night that I lost.

So, my advice to any of you if you visit here, please be very careful and watch your belongings at all times! My friends warned me that someone could be looking to steal my BB and that is what they did. I had seen a video about "Apple Pickers" who snatch iPhones from peoples hands. No doubt "BlackBerry Pickers" are out there too!
    07-17-13 12:56 PM
    Tough break Kiddo. Can your carrier or BlackBerry PIN block it to make it useless to whoever has it? I read about BBRY having that capability.
    07-17-13 01:03 PM
    I think you dropped it, instead of blaming the random stranger without any valid proof...sorry!
    07-17-13 01:33 PM
    I was in Vegas recently and left my iPhone in a cab. I immediately used iCloud from another phone's browser and sent a ping to my device. Nice thing about iCloud is it let's you display an alternate contact number on the stolen/lost device. After about 30 minutes the device was no longer able to be located on GPS. Figured it was stolen.

The next day I get a call from the cab stand saying they have my iPhone. I imagine the cab driver powered off the device because the pings are so annoyingly loud. They mailed it back to me. Had I lost my Q10 I probably would've dead in the water. BlackBerry protect definitely needs to adopt those features.
    07-17-13 01:40 PM
    Gah, that stinks!!! No matter if you missed your purse when you were putting it away (that's happened to me before, but luckily I've caught it before anything happened) or the guy snatched it, you're absolutely right about how important it is to secure your devices when in public.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    07-17-13 01:53 PM
    BlackBerry protect has these features. . .

I was in Vegas recently and left my iPhone in a cab. I immediately used iCloud from another phone's browser and sent a ping to my device. Nice thing about iCloud is it let's you display an alternate contact number on the stolen/lost device. After about 30 minutes the device was no longer able to be located on GPS. Figured it was stolen.

The next day I get a call from the cab stand saying they have my iPhone. I imagine the cab driver powered off the device because the pings are so annoyingly loud. They mailed it back to me. Had I lost my Q10 I probably would've dead in the water. BlackBerry protect definitely needs to adopt those features.
    Korepab, tjseaman, Rowan M and 1 others like this.
    07-17-13 02:39 PM
    Use Pin to Pin msg and keep sending annoying and nasty messages... but before that ask someone to BBM you.. if it is delivered, it would mean the phone is powered on... wipe it through protect... later... keep sending pin messages, and let whoever has it, know that it is a stolen phone... don't buy....

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 03:14 PM
    Bet they thought it was an iPhone, then trashed when they found out.

Sorry for your loss.

Posted via CB10
    soren203 and auditman like this.
    07-17-13 03:27 PM
    I tried BB Protect when I got home, but it couldn't locate the device. My Z is insured so I'm going to T-Mobile to get a new one today. I'm so upset since I had all these great pics and videos on my phone I took of an event I attended that night that I lost.
    * That's the thing with device locating software. It's useless if the device is not connected to a wireless network or is dead.
    * Good to hear you have insurance. It's very much underrated by many. How much is the deductible?
    * Don't your pics and vids back up wirelessly with Link on your computer? And also to Dropbox?
    07-17-13 03:45 PM
    BB Protect has this feature, however as the OP stated, the battery died on her phone. Doesn't matter how good or bad a phone is, if the battery is dead, there is not much you can do!
    07-17-13 04:01 PM
    Sorry op but I'm glad you can get another!

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 04:06 PM
    Yep looks like BB Protect does have those features. Last time I logged in I don't think they had the ability to send messages to the device.
    07-17-13 04:12 PM
    When BlackBerry Protect goes off, it is this crazy loud shrill sound. Makes my iPhone sound like music.
    Rowan M likes this.
    07-17-13 04:16 PM
    I work for a major metro bus system and you would not believe the amount of things that get stolen from passengers and even drivers. People put their backpacks or phones on the aisle seat as they sit next to the window and Bam out the door it goes. Have turned many videos of the crime over to police but usually they can't do much. Protect your stuff!!!
    07-17-13 09:35 PM
    It always surprises me how people get there stuff stolen. When I used to take public transportation, I would always make sure nobody would touch my things. Not that I was afraid of getting robbed, I was more paranoid of forgetting to pick up my things before my exit.

Always make sure you leave the bus/metro with all your things. I can't remember the amount of time's I almost left my stuff in the bus/metro
    Last edited by the_game969; 07-18-13 at 10:11 AM.
    07-17-13 09:50 PM
    I think you dropped it, instead of blaming the random stranger without any valid proof...sorry!
    That is possible. I thought about that. However, I received a strange missed call at 2:15 this morning. It was a local 702 number and it wasn't one I recognized. I wonder how someone was able to get my number if the phone was dead and if they charged it, they would have to bypass my password somehow. Perhaps they wiped everything off my phone? I suspended my services at 2:40 a.m.

I tried calling that number several times. The guy called back and I said, "Hey, you called my number around 2:15 this morning," and he hung up. Very strange indeed.
    07-18-13 12:07 AM
    * That's the thing with device locating software. It's useless if the device is not connected to a wireless network or is dead.
    * Good to hear you have insurance. It's very much underrated by many. How much is the deductible?
    * Don't your pics and vids back up wirelessly with Link on your computer? And also to Dropbox?
    Actually, I found out I don't have insurance after all. I thought the Premium Handset Protection was the same as full insurance, but it only covered the warranty. So I'm basically SOL. The deductible would've been $150 if I had insurance on it.

The best T-Mobile could do for me is have me pay a deposit down on another Z, and they would reduce the payment plan fees for eight months before raising them again.

I'm sure there is a way to backup pics and video wirelessly, but I'm not sure how to do it through BB Link. There's probably no way to do it now since I transferred my number to my old Curve in the meantime.
    07-18-13 12:12 AM
    Yep looks like BB Protect does have those features. Last time I logged in I don't think they had the ability to send messages to the device.
    I sent messages through the BB Protect website to the device. I don't think it worked, though.
    07-18-13 12:14 AM
    Tough break Kiddo. Can your carrier or BlackBerry PIN block it to make it useless to whoever has it? I read about BBRY having that capability.
    Yes, I reported it to T-Mobile and there's a block on it.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-18-13 12:15 AM
    Bet they thought it was an iPhone, then trashed when they found out.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks.

Yes, most likely. I wish they would just return it to me instead of trashing it if they wanted an iPhone instead.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:17 AM
    I'm sure there is a way to backup pics and video wirelessly, but I'm not sure how to do it through BB Link. There's probably no way to do it now since I transferred my number to my old Curve in the meantime.
    You could have turned on the sync photos and videos through your Box app. You box account will store your photos, etc.
    Cant do it now for sure.
    07-18-13 12:21 AM
    I sent messages through the BB Protect website to the device. I don't think it worked, though.
    Not possible if the phone has a dead battery or if it is in the hands of someone who stole it.
    07-18-13 12:22 AM
    That really sucks you lost your videos and photos. Not sure if this has been written here, but set up Box on your new BlackBerry and you will always have a backup. Good luck to you!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:35 AM
    Sorry to digress but how to automatically sync pics you take to Dropbox?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:50 AM
    Sorry to digress but how to automatically sync pics you take to Dropbox?

Posted via CB10
    Not Dropbox but Box.
    Setup the Box app with your Box account. Within the app you have the option to back up your camera clicks and videos to your box account.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 01:02 AM
35 12