PLEASE NOTE: This post has undergone numerous revisions to reduce length, add content and improve clarity. Use it as a main reference to check for information and latest status updates on this project. Please message or email me with comments, questions, or to be added to the mailing list - [email protected].

WHY YOU'RE HERE:

Blackberry killed the Playbook and we're your only hope for an update. Welcome and let's get to work! This effort is purely voluntary, and everyone's voice and contribution will be respected and appreciated.

CONTENT SUMMARY:
    • Our Goal
    • Core Team
    • Communications
    • Requested PBOS Feature List
    • Action Items
      • Join the Core Team! *URGENT*
      • Submit a Playbook Testimonial
      • Submit an App Developer Testimonial
      • Playbook Development Team Contact Info
      • Suggest Creative Content
    • Comment Policy
    • Troll Policy

-----

Our Goal:
    We aim for BlackBerry to update the Playbook OS, in keeping with the company's own promises. We are here to achieve a positive outcome for everyone involved, the Playbook owners and the company.

CORE TEAM:
    (All can be contacted via Crackberry Forum Private Messenger)

@victorshikhman - Main Organizer
    @axllebeer - BBM Channel Operator

Open Positions:
    Creative Director (waiting for confirmation)
    Twitter Account Operator
    Youtube Channel Operator
    Testimonial Collector
    <Suggest a Position>

COMMUNICATIONS:

Please email [email protected] to be added to the mailing list. Information about the BBM Channel, Twitter and Youtube accounts will be posted here when it's ready.

REQUESTED PBOS FEATURE LIST:
    (current as of 5:33pm, 7/18)

1) Adobe Air 3.5 with Stage3D (runtime update)
    2) Android 4.2 (runtime update)
    3) Flash (runtime update)
    4) BBM (native) & Skype (Android port)
    5) Browser bug fixes/updates with text reflow
    6) Cascades (import the libraries to PBOS)
    7) USB-OTG (code is already in PlaybookOS)
    8) DLNA/Miracast (import DLNA stack to PBOS, or allow outgoing UDP packages from 3rd party apps)
    9) Power stand-by timeout increased to > 5 minutes
    10) Improved audio/video codec support
    11) Manual option for IMAP Folder Mapping
    12) Webkit SDK (runtime update)
    13) Bridge functionality for BB10

Did we miss something? Reply to the thread with the specific features NOT listed above in short bullet points. We will vote on the features at some point to see which are in greatest demand.

ACTION ITEMS:

1) Join the Core Team!:
    We need a core group that can get this project done. To help make this effort a success, please comment below or PM me directly. Open positions are listed under CORE TEAM above. Be brave and join up!

2) Submit a Playbook Testimonial
    Angry? Frustrated? Disappointed? Here's YOUR chance to be heard! We need volunteers to write up their testimonial in purchasing and using the Playbook, waiting for updates, and disappointment at hearing that BlackBerry is dropping support for the Playbook. We will present these testimonials to Blackberry executives, one by one, to keep up the pressure for a PBOS update.

Note: Please make your testimonial 2-4 paragraphs, in English. We will help edit for spelling and grammar. Email your testimonial to [email protected].

3) Submit an App Developer Testimonial
    Are you an app developer negatively impacted by BlackBerry's decision not to update the Playbook? Are you now in doubt whether BlackBerry can be trusted to keep its promises? We want to hear from you! Please how the company's decision has affected you. Also, feel free to email or PM me directly.

Note: Please make your testimonial 2-4 paragraphs, in English. We will help edit for spelling and grammar. Email your testimonial to [email protected].

4) Playbook Development Team Contact Info:
    We need contact information for the BlackBerry Playbook development team. They may have been reassigned. Their twitter handles or email addresses would be preferred. We will attempt contact and ask for their advice, as they know the platform best, and will know what the company can reasonably implement.

Note: We are not gathering this information to harass anyone in any fashion whatsoever! Those who do not wish to respond or assist us will not be contacted again. Do not post private contact information on the board here - direct message me or email me instead. Once again, harassing anyone will not be tolerated.

5) Suggest Creative Content
    Do you have an idea for a creative way of drawing attention to our effort and advocating our case to Blackberry? We will spread the word with BBM Channel/Twitter/Youtube, etc. Here's what we've got so far. Fire off any more ideas you have in the comments:

• A YouTube video of PlayBook owners with their tablets, or pics of them taken from their tablet, set to an Alicia Keys song
    • We name a cute animal "Playbook" - a kitten or puppy - and create posters imploring Blackberry save "Playbook"

Have a suggestion for an ACTION ITEM? Let us know in the comments.

-----

COMMENT POLICY: Please keep your responses to this post short and to the point. Set flamethrower to the OFF position. This is not the complaint thread, or the bitter flame-war thread, it is the action thread. We are here to achieve a positive outcome for everyone involved, the Playbook owners and even the company, though we may have to drag it kicking and screaming to do the right thing.

TROLL POLICY: Ignore the trolls. We have nothing to lose from this effort and everything to gain. Everyone is invited to participate, including those who think this is a lost cause. Forcing the company to keep a meager version of its promises to us will not kill BlackBerry. Let's try to stay positive and even have some fun while we are at it. Not long ago, BlackBerry was proud of its vocal, loyal fans. Let's show them just how vocal we can be.
    Last edited by victorshikhman; 07-18-13 at 06:19 PM.
    07-17-13 07:44 AM
    Admirable attitude! Good luck!
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-17-13 07:47 AM
    Some have private messaged me their email addresses, suggesting we start a mailing list. It's not a bad idea. If you'd like to stay informed on our progress outside the Crackberry forums, how about a weekly emailed progress report? If interested, private message me your email address. The forums are a bit clumsy to organize something like this, but let's see what we can do. Once the core team is selected we should consider setting up a Hangouts video chat to get everyone on the same page.
    07-17-13 01:24 PM
    Some have private messaged me their email addresses, suggesting we start a mailing list. It's not a bad idea. If you'd like to stay informed on our progress outside the Crackberry forums, how about a weekly emailed progress report? If interested, private message me your email address. The forums are a bit clumsy to organize something like this, but let's see what we can do. Once the core team is selected we should consider setting up a Hangouts video chat to get everyone on the same page.
    and what will happen with the list posts? it will be filled with anger and frustration. will it help us get over this drunken madness of promises and lies and betrayal? i will private message you my e-mail IDs. but i dont wish to be a party pooper. but will it help us in anyway?
    you got my e-mail ID sending you via private message now.
    its best if i redirect my energy to something positive.
    this is internet and this is my idea. and internet is global democracy when i say cares no value for others and vice versa. but you got my vote and support.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-17-13 01:34 PM
    @quackquack147, can you edit your last post to delete the quoted section? It forces people to scroll quite a long way for new material. Again, please keep your responses short and to the point. This is NOT a venting thread.

In other news, does anyone know who is or was in charge of the Playbook OS? Who ran the team? Was it Vivek Bhardwaj directly, or someone under him?
    07-17-13 01:44 PM
    Some have private messaged me their email addresses, suggesting we start a mailing list.
    Why don't you create a BBM Channel for this and then once there is a good flow in information send the channel PIN to some of the people at BBRY via Twitter?
    07-17-13 01:49 PM
    Why don't you create a BBM Channel for this and then once there is a good flow in information send the channel PIN to some of the people at BBRY via Twitter?
    As Deadbook has no BBM it is not the best idea
    jcsf123 likes this.
    07-17-13 02:03 PM
    As Deadbook has no BBM it is not the best idea
    Well seeing as most of us use BB phones, and everyone at BBRY does, I thought it sounded like an idea...

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using the CB App
    qwang and mattstu39 like this.
    07-17-13 02:16 PM
    At this point we're just in the idea brainstorming stage. Nothing reasonable should be rejected out of hand.

On the plus side, setting up a BBM Channel could give us access to a lot of BB handset AND Playbook owners who may not otherwise have known about the effort. It sort of starts using Blackberry's own infrastructure against it, because we can use BBM to rapidly network among dissatisfied Blackberry customers.

Let's put the BBM Channel idea under the header of "Communications Strategy", along with email, likely a Twitter account, opinion/editorials in tech sites (how about CB?), etc.

@axllebeer, would you be willing to take the lead on the BBM Channel idea?

My 9900 went for a swim recently and I'm down to an old Bold 9000, which barely has enough ram to run Whatsapp. The latest version of BBM won't install due to lack of space. (When I tell people I was ready to upgrade to a BB10 device this fall, before this Playbook fiasco, I really meant it!)

We need people to step up. Many hands make light work. Don't be shy. YOU CAN DO IT.
    Robert Roger and dpaulbelcher like this.
    07-17-13 02:17 PM
    I would be willing to manage that. Hopefully it might do a little good. As you have stated, there are some improvements that can be made, its not like we are asking a total reversal on the BB10 on PlayBook decision. But there is no reason to just kill of the PlayBook. That's where my problem is and improvements can be made and support for basic updates should be there. A few features can be added and that's really all I'm asking for.
    07-17-13 02:36 PM
    Thanks for giving this a try. I am sure there will be many suggestions for OS and app updates, but here is one that I am interested in that should require minimal effort on BBs part.:

- For an OS update - Provide a means of overriding the 5 min hibernation, at least when on external power.

Once group has been formed, and BB has been contacted, get some press support (radio, TV, on-line, Newspaper). A press release would be a start. A few reports on how disgruntled Blackberry Playbook owners are taking their fight to the BB boardroom, would not be something BB would like to see.

I am too old to take an active part, but as we have two PBs, we have a great interest in the success of your endeavours.
    07-17-13 02:40 PM
    So, what features would YOU like to see BB implement in the last gasp Playbook update?

Here are my top 5: (subject to change)

1) Adobe Air 3.5 with Stage3D
    2) Android 4.2
    3) Flash (latest runtime)
    4) BBM (now that it's going cross-platform!)
    5) Browser bug fixes/updates

These changes would keep the Playbook quite functional for another year or two, and would cost Blackberry very little to implement. Porting BBM should be relatively straightforward.

...6) Cascades! (I'm still researching if this is possible)
    ...7) USB-OTG (It doesn't make MY top5, but this is already coded into the Playbook. BB just needs to allow us to use it)

I know many really want the Bridge fixed. I just spoke to someone who is well informed on this issue, and they told me there is some huge technical problem with fixing the bridge, which is why it was not implemented. We are far more likely to get simple runtime updates than massive new outlays of engineering time to solve complicated problems.
    Robert Roger, imz, qwang and 2 others like this.
    07-17-13 10:25 PM
    I have 3 playbooks, two were purchased on word that bb10 was coming later this year. I will try and help out in anyway I can. I live in Ontario Canada. I will PM u with my email address tomorrow from a pc since I can't figure out how to do it on my Q10

Thanks and I admire your initiative

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    07-17-13 10:37 PM
    So, what features would YOU like to see BB implement in the last gasp Playbook update?

Here are my top 5: (subject to change)

2) Android 4.2

These changes would keep the Playbook quite functional for another year or two, and would cost Blackberry very little to implement. Porting BBM should be relatively straightforward.

...6) Cascades! (I'm still researching if this is possible)
    ...7) USB-OTG (It doesn't make MY top5, but this is already coded into the Playbook. BB just needs to allow us to use it)

I know many really want the Bridge fixed. I just spoke to someone who is well informed on this issue, and they told me there is some huge technical problem with fixing the bridge, which is why it was not implemented. We are far more likely to get simple runtime updates than massive new outlays of engineering time to solve complicated problems.
    you forgot bridge! ;-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-18-13 12:49 AM
    This is a great idea and could give the loyal pb owners a good case for getting some non-bb10 upgrades.

I'm in.

Posted via CB10
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-18-13 01:35 AM
    Here are my top 6: (subject to change)

2) Android 4.2
    6) update Bridge and make it compatible with BB10 device
    Robert Roger, imz and tufcustomer like this.
    07-18-13 01:42 AM
    I would like full bridge functions implemented on the Q10

I would like BlackBerry to produce a new tablet with 4 gigs of ram, capable usb for external HD to add on and then be given gratis to all previous BlackBerry playbook owners ( I can dream can't I) ?

A sincere apology in writing by regular mail from TH

Seriously my first statement would make me happy!

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    anon(3678660) likes this.
    07-18-13 01:47 AM
    1) I would like to add support of DLNA ot at least DLNA Anroid Apps!
    With BB10 you can remotely share your media, it would be nice if they could port the DLNA stack to the PB... if this is not possible,
    they should at least allow outgoing UDP packages from 3rd party apps - otherwise the DLNA controller apps sideloaded can't work!

2) There is no way to manually correct IMAP folder mappings when the automated mapping fails (IMAP unusable)

3) Allow non-email usernames in the CalDAV/CardDav account setups!
    duty14 likes this.
    07-18-13 01:50 AM
    Here are my top 6: (subject to change)

2) Android 4.2
    6) update Bridge and make it compatible with BB10 device
    #1. make activation easy w/o wifi. If i am in a remote location and i can not have wifi then my playbook is a fruitcake.
    #2. stop bluffing to promote sales. its a fraud act. listen to cry of customers.
    #3. root access. hello i am the owner give me my root. i dont like paying rent in my own house.
    #4. remove trash.
    #5. include language support.
    #6. speed up the boot process.
    #7. bridge bridge bridge
    #8. more audio and video codecs
    #9. treat us like grown ups and not lollypop suckers.
    #10. enable better email client
    #11. BBM if possible.
    #12. allow the user to program at your wish. we bought it. you dont own it anymore so let the user customise it.
    #13. no lame tech support. hire efficient ones.
    #14. release the source code, release the bloody code for the OS and not some QNX base alone and the bsp.
    #15. allow users what to install and what not to. dont shove it down a users throat and will.
    #16. dont poke around and reset settings.
    #17. hire better coders
    #18. enable usb-otg
    #19. android/flash/adobe air/adobe reader (optional)
    #20. stop your monopoly allow us to select our default browser.
    #21. this should have been number one to me. GET RID OF CURRENT MANAGEMENT, GET EFFICIENT ONES.
    #22. dont sit there push security updates faster.
    #23. introduce dual mode firmware. one for day to day user w/o much security and encryption and one for dod or corporate or some rich businessman who got his own private plane.
    #24. stop the usual BS.
    #25. stop fooling around.
    #26. linux support and also bsd support. dont bluff QNX is almost same as bsds! so no BS please.
    thanks!
    paul
    p.s. if you think i missed something please correct me and add your issue here.
    07-18-13 01:58 AM
    Skype,please
    BigAl_BB9900 and Ivx14 like this.
    07-18-13 01:59 AM
    Feature Request:
    1. Browser Update
    2. Bridge Update to work with BB10
    3. Keyboard improvements (into the direction of BB10)
    4. Messaging improvements (into the direction of Hub)
    5. Compatibility with BB10 apps
    6. If (5.) not possible develop core native apps BBM, Twitter, Foursquare, Skype
    07-18-13 05:11 AM
    On another thread, someone mentioned a kickstarter campaign to raise money for an upgrade. I am not a fan of this idea, mainly because I think BlackBerry has all the money it needs to implement the updates we are seeking. I also think it would be very difficult for us to reach let's say 100,000 playbook owners and convince them to do a $20-30 upgrade. This is peanuts for blackberry. But I thought I would mention the idea here anyway, and I can bring it up to someone at BB to see their reaction.

I am thinking once we have a number of ideas like this we will start voting to build consensus around what we want.

I see that there are still quite a few people venting on other forum threads. Please encourage them to bring their passion and energy (and anger!) to this thread, where we can harness it to get something done.

Thanks to everyone sending me their contact emails. I'm trying to respond to everyone to let them know they're on the mailing list, but if you don't get a response from me don't worry, you're in.
    07-18-13 05:18 AM
    You could have just as easily replied in the thread where the Kickstarter campaign was mentioned. It seems everybody's currently still mainly fighting their own battle and as long as we're all convinced we're doing it for the greater good, who can say that we're wrong...

And another thing: who exactly is this "we" you keep mentioning?
    07-18-13 05:44 AM
    You could have just as easily replied in the thread where the Kickstarter campaign was mentioned. (snip) And another thing: who exactly is this "we" you keep mentioning?
    That thread has had a lot of back and forth, I didn't want to get drawn in. The idea you guys brought up was to have our playbooks sent in for a physical RAM upgrade. I really don't know if that's workable. What I posted here was a possibility of raising funds for a software update.

As for the "we", anyone who wants to join in and see what "we" can get out of BlackBerry, in terms of a software update, as discussed above.

-----

In other news, I have some info from a source:

"Michael Clewley ran the team responsible for the PlayBook when it was being developed, certainly right up to PlayBook 2.0 he was the product manager. As BB10 came into play, there was no real sense of who was in charge of the team after that."

Does anyone have information to the contrary? Does anyone know others on the Playbook team. If not, this at least gives us a place to start, per Action Item 3 above.
    dpaulbelcher likes this.
    07-18-13 06:06 AM
    The RAM upgrade idea was never going to work, I fully agree, but that wasn't why I support the idea. But I'd have to refer you to the other thread for a better explanation.

Update: where you can now even read an explanation of why I don't think it will work in this manner... Kickstarter Guidelines
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 07-18-13 at 06:31 AM.
    07-18-13 06:13 AM
826 123 ...