Specs for new Sony Xperia

Z10
    07-17-13 06:31 AM
    07-17-13 06:34 AM
    Only if you believe most buy on specs, and those numbers are for reelz. I don't think the market has proven that yet. Case in point, the iPhone 5.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-17-13 06:51 AM
    BlackBerry is killing itself anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 07:03 AM
    Blackberry is very much "in trouble." I daresay they've had it at this point,...but it's nothing to do with Sony; or any other single company other than blackberry.
    jcsf123, bekkay, schmeat and 3 others like this.
    07-17-13 09:47 AM
    Where we are in trouble is the BlackBerry mind set that substandard specs are ok. To be so conservative in a extremely competitive market. To settle for a 2 year old 8 meg camera. That spec alone almost tipped me to a phone with better specs.

Sorry, to many folks running around with Hemi Chargers.

Specs sell!

Gets you noticed.

One less item for "reviewers" to decry BlackBerry about.

Sets you apart.

Allows for larger more complex functions and apps.

You get to use the words "Blazing" and "Smooth". Cutting edge and leader would be good too.

To be slow one must be steady.

BlackBerry doesn't have the later down yet.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    HasKam likes this.
    07-17-13 10:03 AM
    Where we are in trouble is the BlackBerry mind set that substandard specs are ok. To be so conservative in a extremely competitive market. To settle for a 2 year old 8 meg camera. That spec alone almost tipped me to a phone with better specs.

Specs sell!

Gets you noticed.

Sets you apart.

You get to use the words "Blazing" and "Smooth". Cutting edge and leader would be good too.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Doesn't the HTC one use a 6 mp shooter? Are you sure the camera hasn't been updated outside the 8 mp? My camera on the Z10 has continued to improve through software updates.

Posted via CB10
    BB-04 and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    07-17-13 10:07 AM
    Only if you believe most buy on specs, and those numbers are for reelz. I don't think the market has proven that yet. Case in point, the iPhone 5.
    Apple doesn't sell just hardware... they sell an experience. BlackBerry doesn't have the ecosystem to offer that type of experience - so you can't use the iPhone as an true example of spec or price point.

If you choose to believe that a BlackBerry is the best communications tool out there and are willing to pay more for their hardware.... you are apparently in the minority based on 1Q sales results and the fact that nobody is saying much about Q10 sales. BlackBerry needs something to sell devices! Android manufactures have shown that SPECS DO SELL DEVICES, along with any GIMMICK you can add on that appears "new" or "different".

Can BlackBerry be profitable in a spec war... NO. They just aren't large enough to get the discounts that manufactures like Nokia, Samsung and Apple do. But the do need to offer hardware that is seen as relevant, and it needs to be priced aggressively. Example having an 8MP camera in your premium device, when others are doing 16MP or 41MP (crazy) at the same or lower price points. Now I know that taking good pictures isn't just about the MP... But personally I'm not impressed when comparing pictures I've taken with both an iPhone4 and my Z10... much less any newer device.

Doesn't the HTC one use a 6 mp shooter? Are you sure the camera hasn't been updated outside the 8 mp? My camera on the Z10 has continued to improve through software updates.

Posted via CB10
    Actually think that the HTC One is only 4MP.... but I remember reading that it does VERY well in low light situations. And uses some "ultapixel" technology. And I'm sure the iPhone isn't a big MP sensor either.

The key is if you DON'T have the biggest and baddest hardware, you still need to delivery the best user experience. And sorry, while I agree that software updates have improved the Z10 camera. It still falls behind when taking real world pictures. Not just my opinion see a review from an unbiased photography site dpreview.com

Granted this review is before some updates that improved the camera... but that is what happens when you release a product before it's ready. You only get one shot to impress!
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-17-13 at 10:50 AM.
    07-17-13 10:16 AM
    Apple doesn't sell just hardware... they sell an experience. BlackBerry doesn't have the ecosystem to offer that type of experience - so you can't use the iPhone as an true example of spec or price point.

If you choose to believe that a BlackBerry is the best communications tool out there and are willing to pay more for their hardware.... you are apparently in the minority based on 1Q sales results and the fact that nobody is saying much about Q10 sales. BlackBerry needs something to sell devices! Android manufactures have shown that SPECS DO SELL DEVICES, along with any GIMMICK you can add on that appears "new" or "different".

Can BlackBerry be profitable in a spec war... NO. They just aren't large enough to get the discounts that manufactures like Nokia, Samsung and Apple do. But the do need to offer hardware that is seen as relevant, and it needs to be priced aggressively. Example having an 8MP camera in your premium device, when others are doing 16MP or 41MP (crazy) at the same or lower price points. Now I know that taking good pictures isn't just about the MP... But personally I'm not impressed when comparing pictures I've taken with both an iPhone4 and my Z10... much less any newer device.
    Android manufacturers also prove specs don't sell phones. There are more failing than succeeding and none of them have Samsungs advertising budget.

Posted via CB10
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-17-13 10:28 AM
    Specs are important in the smart phone rate, but in my opinion are more reflective in the Android world than anything as Sony, Samsung, HTC, and etc are all vying for a piece of that Android pie. Most Apple iOS die hards will buy the next iPhone regardless of what the specs read just as long as the phone doesn't under-perform what they currently own. Same could be said for BlackBerry as well.
    07-17-13 10:36 AM
    Selling a phablet with 2 year old 8mp in the era of phamera phones (S4 zoom: 16mp and 10x, Nokia 41mp and now Sony 20mp)

And this Sony is of course 1080p 5inch display. Come on, the A10 is doa...sadly.

720p, 8mp... still cant believe it!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, bekkay and tomsobon like this.
    07-17-13 10:40 AM
    Selling a phablet with 2 year old 8mp in the era of phamera phones (S4 zoom: 16mp and 10x, Nokia 41mp and now Sony 20mp)

And this Sony is of course 1080p 5inch display. Come on, the A10 is doa...sadly.

720p, 8mp... still cant believe it!

Posted via CB10
    I think it might be dead for you. I'm looking for a device that performs well. I don't care how many cores it has if it lags on 8 while others zoom along on 2 or how many mp it has if I can't tell the difference between 16 and 8 after the shutter sounds. I'll know more when I've actually held it and used it.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 10:45 AM

Specs sell!

Gets you noticed.

Sets you apart.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Ask all your non tech friends if they know the specs of their phone and i guarentee the majority wont. 80%+ won't i say. Android needs a quad core so their phones will run like dual core BB or iphone. If specs would sell then every android maufaturere would be doing well, not them struggling to stay afloat with the exception of samsung.

PS. the HTC One camera is like 4-mgp but it keeps up with the camera on sg4. Spec only matter if there fully utulized then and android does not utulize anything except malware from the google play store.
    07-17-13 10:50 AM
    Smartphone competition is getting crowded. We're in trouble. BB is facing a difficult situation.

If BB don't want to rely on their phones' specs to compete with other phone companies, what else do BB have? They certainly can't do that with BB OS.

4 important criteria for phone users to consider before buying a new phone:

1- Phone specs: BB doesn't win .
    2- Apps/games selection: BB doesn't win.
    3- OS: I don't know if BB is confident enough to say that their OS is better than Android or iOS.
    4- Price: BB price is not the best for its phone value. You can get a phone with better specs for the same amount which you spend on a z10.
    07-17-13 10:50 AM
    Urrghh.... these kind of news is killing the mood....... Maybe we should start praying and hope the A10's leaked specs are not as bad as they are???
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-17-13 10:51 AM
    Of course youre in trouble if you paid more than $49 dollars for that phone.
    07-17-13 11:13 AM
    I think it might be dead for you. I'm looking for a device that performs well. I don't care how many cores it has if it lags on 8 while others zoom along on 2 or how many mp it has if I can't tell the difference between 16 and 8 after the shutter sounds. I'll know more when I've actually held it and used it.
    Posted via CB10
    Fact is 1080p is the norm for a 5in screen now, and megapixels matters for most people

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 11:16 AM
    Of course BlackBerry is in (big) trouble, but it's not because of Sony!
    BTW my next phone will probably be a Sony Xperia (either Z or Honami), I bought a Xperia Z tablet 3 weeks ago, and I really like it. It's too difficult being a BB fan.
    07-17-13 11:22 AM
    A message to people who don't think specs sell your phone,

Why do you need to rethink your position?

Since the first release of iphones and android phones, we haven't seen many OS updates OR upgrades for iOS and android OS. However, phone hardware is getting better every year. In fact, every new iphone or android phone is slightly better than the old ones in term of hardware while iOS or android OS doesn't get any major update or upgrade in the same period. During these periods, all apps and games for iOS and android OS have been written to take the advantage of improved phone hardware. New phone hardware allows you to do things with your phone that you couldn't do before.

When you spend 600 or 700 USD or sign a 2 or 3 year contract for a new phone, you would not do it because of your phone's OS. You pay this premium price for improved phone hardware. If you think phone specs are not that important, you need to think again. Every recent iphone or android phone has the same OS with different hardware.

Furthermore, your phone costs less than mine because of our phone hardware, NOT the OS. Why is the price of q10 and z10 different when both of them have the same OS?

Yes, phone specs is important and is a factor in determining the sales.
    Donvald and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-17-13 11:28 AM
    PS. the HTC One camera is like 4-mgp but it keeps up with the camera on sg4. Spec only matter if there fully utulized then and android does not utulize anything except malware from the google play store.
    But the HTC One camera is about specs, you just don't realize it. It uses the fastest lens in a phone (f2.0) coupled with a larger pixel size and better image stabilization to provide a superior low light camera. Read about it Specifications for the HTC UltraPixel Camera , they are innovating. The new Nokia is using a huge sensor and downsampling techniques to improve low light performance, they are innovating.

In both these cases the companies are dramatically improving the performance of the camera as a way to differentiate the phone, given that phone cameras have replaced compacts for many people this would seem like a good strategy, time will tell if they are successful.

The question I would ask is how is BB differentiating their phones? Peak and Flow isn't it and the A10 looks like more of the same. At least the Q10 has Qwerty to set it apart, but even there they alienated a large portion of the user base by not including a trackpad. BlackBerry will hopefully survive but it would be nice to see class leading hardware instead of year old specs.
    bp3dots and Donvald like this.
    07-17-13 11:31 AM
    iPhone is the only phone where specs don't matter. Nobody else has the rep for it.
    07-17-13 11:34 AM
    Even the Xperia Z available now (and has been available since Feburary oversees, I think) trumps the Aristo's rumored specs .

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...peria-z1s.html

People can make excuses all they want, like specs don't matter for anyone but Android, etc but unfortunately excuses don't make sales. We've seen that with the lackluster sales of the Z10 and Q10 so far. I WANT BB to succeed, but I'm just afraid that if they don't start getting serious about making top notch devices (or at the very least start pricing their devices accordingly) then soon BB won't be making any devices at all for us to make exuses for.
    Donvald, Drew808, bekkay and 4 others like this.
    07-17-13 11:40 AM
    Fact is 1080p is the norm for a 5in screen now, and megapixels matters for most people

Posted via CB10
    How many did you speak with before you hit most? Does that make it a fact or your opinion?

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 11:43 AM
    Even the Xperia Z available now (and has been available since Feburary oversees, I think) trumps the Aristo's rumored specs .

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...peria-z1s.html

People can make excuses all they want, like specs don't matter for anyone but Android, etc but unfortunately excuses don't make sales. We've seen that with the lackluster sales of the Z10 and Q10 so far. I WANT BB to succeed, but I'm just afraid that if they don't start getting serious about making top notch devices (or at the very least start pricing their devices accordingly) then soon BB won't be making any devices at all for us to make exuses for.
    The problem is we have no evidence to suggest the reason for lackluster sales is specs. So I don't know why so many think that will save them. It won't change the performance with the possible exception of the camera. For the record I think the camera beats my SIII easily and I never heard people crying about how awful that camera was. But regardless, if two more cores doesn't make it perform better than a dual core 1.7 ghz With a quad core gpu, then why do it? Unless you plan on advertising on having a quad core which would also be a huge mistake.

They need the phone to perform at a high level and to be priced competitively. That along with an actual marketing plan will do them much more than quad or octacore bs. This is of course only my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 11:51 AM
    Stamina Mode? Interesting.
    07-17-13 11:51 AM
58 123