I read many threads at CB about using your BB as modem. I have my Curve working as a modem using Desktop Manager and a USB cable. However, I wanted to be able to use my BB as a modem using Bluetooth connectivity. The basics are that you must use the Windows XP SP2 (or Vista) Bluetooth driver, and setup your BB to use Bluetooth sync with desktop manager. I felt stymied because my adapter was not on the list of compatible devices for the Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth driver.

Being stubborn, I decided to install my Belkin (Broadcomm) USB adapter and software to see if I could get something to work. During the software installation, I found that one of the Bluetooth services provided was dial up networking so I installed this service. With Bluetooth on my BB set to allow it to be found, I ran the Add a New Bluetooth Device Wizard. One of the services offered was Dial-up Networking.

When I Explored My Bluetooth Places and found a selection for Blackberry 8320 Dialup Networking. When I clicked this selection, it brought up a connection box. This led me to try and set up a new connection using a Bluetooth modem following other threads for using your BB as a modem.

Still thinking this will never work, here are the steps I followed in Windows XP:

Preconfiguration:

1. Bluetooth Setup

This is specifically for my Belkin Bluetooth adapter, but may apply to other USB Bluetooth adapters.

*** Important ***

Your Bluetooth adapter MUST be on and working properly. If it is not, you will not see the Bluetooth Modem option. The Belkin software has an option to stop the Bluetooth Adapter.

2. It not necessary to have Desktop Manager running.
    3. At the moment, the setup only works on EDGE (TMO). I have not gotten it to work on Wifi/UMA. If Wifi is not, disable it: Manage Connections > Wifi > uncheck

Query the modem:

1. Open Control Panel and click Phone and Modem Properties.
    2. Click the Modems tab and select Bluetooth Modem in the installed modems box.
    3. Click Properties under the installed modems box.
    4. Click the Diagnostics Tag.
    5. Click Query Modem.
    6. When done you should see under Command:ATQ0V1E0 and under Response:Success (this what showed for me, you may see something different). This shows that the modem is being accessed by the computer.
    7. Click Okay.
    8. Click Okay.

Set up the Modem

1. Open Control Panel and click Phone and Modem Options.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. Enter the extra initialization command in the Extra Settings box. For T-Mobile the command is:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

For other carriers, check this thread for the extra initialization commands:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/

6. Click Ok
    7. Click Ok

Create dial up Networking

1. Open Control Panel and click Network Connections.
    2. Click the New Connection Wizard, then click Next.
    3. Select “Connect to the Internet”, then click Next.
    4. Select “Set up my Connection Manually”, then click Next.
    5. Select “Connect using a dial-up Modem”, then click Next.
    6. Highlight the Bluetooth Modem in the “select devices to use in this connection” box, and click the box to the left. Make sure that no other modems are checked. Click next.
    7. Enter your ISP name in the box.

T-Mobile for TMO customers. Sorry I don’t have the ISP names for other Carriers, but I assume it’s the Carrier name.

Click next.

8. Enter*99# in the phone number box, then click Next.
    9. Check the appropriate box for you situation, then click Next.
    10. Leave User Name and Password boxes blank. Uncheck any boxes in the bottom of the dialog box, then click Next.
    11. Click Finish to create the connection.
    12. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    13. Highlight the Bluetooth Modem in the “select devices to use in this connection” box, and click the box to the left. Make sure that no other modems are checked. Click Configure.
    14. In the Hardware Features unclick all check boxes, then click OK.
    15. Click OK in the Properties window.
    16. Select “Save this user name and password for the following users” and the appropriate option.
    17. Click Dial, and away you go.
    18. Open your web browser to test the connection.

Changing Connection Speed

The default connection speed is 115 Bps. I have tested my Curve at the maximum speed of 921.6 Bps with success. If I have problems I drop down to 460.8 Bps. At that speed, I never have any problems.

1. Click on Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Right click the name of your Bluetooth Connection.
    3. The Standard Modem Over Bluetooth Connection should be checked.
    4. Click Configure.
    5. Click on the box next to "Maximum Speed" and select the speed you want to use.
    6. Click Okay.
    7. Click Okay.

For troubleshooting refer to the thread linked above
    Last edited by wnm; 10-23-08 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added information on Wifi/UMA and changing connection speed
    10-15-08 01:08 PM
    **** Set up For Vista ****

This set up for using your BB as a Bluetooth Modem was done on Windows Vista Home Premium Edition with SP1. This is a 64 bit version of Vista. I am using a Belkin Bluetooth Radio Adapter and the Belkin (BroadComm) Vista 32 bit driver.

Preconfiguration:

1. Bluetooth Setup
    This is specifically for my Belkin Bluetooth adapter, but may apply to other USB Bluetooth adapters.

*** Important ***

Your Bluetooth adapter MUST be on and working properly. If it is not, you will not see the Bluetooth Modem option. The Belkin software has an option to stop the Bluetooth Adapter.
    2. It not necessary to have Desktop Manager running.
    3. At the moment, the setup only works using EDGE (TMO). I have not gotten it to work using Wifi/UMA. If Wifi is on, disable it.

Manage Connections > Wifi > uncheck

Query the modem:

1. Open Control Panel and click Phone and Modem Properties.
    2. Click the Modems tab and select Standard Modem over Bluetooth Link in the installed modems box.
    4. Click the Diagnostics Tag.
    5. Click Query Modem.
    6. When done you should see under Command:ATQ0V1E0 and under Response:Success (this what showed for me, you may see something different). This shows that the modem is being accessed by the computer.
    7. Click Okay.
    8. Click Okay.

Set up the Modem

1. Open Control Panel and click Phone and Modem Options.
    4. Click change settings.
    5. Click Continue for permission.
    6. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. Enter the extra initialization command in the Extra Settings box. For T-Mobile the command is:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

For other carriers, check this thread for the extra initialization commands:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/

6. Click Ok
    7. Click Ok

Create dial up Networking

1. Open Control Panel and click Network Sharing Center.
    2. Click Set Up a Connection or Network.
    3. Select “Connect to the Internet”, then click Next.
    4. Select “Set up a New Connection Anyway”.
    5. Under "Do You Want to Use a Connection That You Already Have?", select "No, Create a New Connection", then click Next.
    6. Under "How Do You Want To Connect?", select “Connect using a dial-up Modem or ISDN”, then click Next.
    7. Select Standard Modem Over Bluetooth Link.
    8. In the box for Dial-up Phone Number enter *99#
    9. Leave User name and Password blank.
    10. Type a connection name (optional).
    11. Check "Allow Other People to Use This Connection" (optional).
    12. Click Connect. Your computer should now connect to your Blackberry and test the connection. If you are successful, you should see a message stating that the connection to the internet is ready to use. Click Close.
    13. Select the location you want to use.
    14. Click Continue for permission.
    15. Click Close.

In the Network and Sharing Center, you should see in addition to other network connections, Bluetooth connection you just set up.

Open an IE (or other browser window) to confirm that you have internet access. You may want/need to disable other network/internet connections.

To initiate your new connection in the future, do the following:

2. Click on the name of your Bluetooth Connection.
    3. Click dial, and you're on your way.

Changing Connection Speed

The default connection speed is 115 Bps. I have tested my Curve at the maximum speed of 921.6 Bps with success. If I have problems I drop down to 460.8 Bps. At that speed, I never have any problems.

2. Right click the name of your Bluetooth Connection.
    3. The Standard Modem Over Bluetooth Connection should be checked.
    4. Click Configure.
    5. Click on the box next to "Maximum Speed" and select the speed you want to use.
    6. Click Okay.
    7. Click Okay.

For troubleshooting refer to the thread linked above.
    Last edited by wnm; 10-23-08 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Instructions for Vista.
    10-15-08 01:08 PM
    Where's setup for Mac OS/X
    02-14-09 10:24 PM
    Where's setup for Mac OS/X
    Been trying to work on the Mac OS setup but i'm not having much luck. I'm going to try doing the bluetooth PAN hookup. Gotta find me a micro usb adapter first though.

The settings OTA don't seem to be giving me much luck but i'll keep trying. This is starting to turn into a game!
    02-15-09 11:14 AM
    is this considered theathering. in that i will get charge or is this a work around
    02-27-09 11:13 AM
    Does it work for the Bold?
    03-01-09 03:30 PM
    Some answers:

I don't have a Mac so I can't help Mac users. Sorry.

This is tethering, so if you have extra charges for tethering or need to add it to your plan, you should check with your carrier first.

It should work for the Bold, assuming modem architecture is the same.
    03-11-09 01:34 PM
    Using the BB as a bluetooth tether is probably one of the top 5 uses of the BB...if you dont have bluetooth on your computer, get an adapter! Well worth the $30.
    04-23-09 02:01 PM
    good info thanks
    04-24-09 07:01 PM
    thanks for the post!
    04-25-09 06:14 AM
    The original instructions are super !!!!!!! My first try hooked up and now I am a happy "TEATHERER" Wow did I just create a new word in the dictionary. :-).
    Its only 115.2 Kpbs but still works at speed of any handheld device and thats good for me.

Thanks you all for posting and I should say to the Admin to make this a STICKY.......
    05-12-09 04:51 PM
    Everyones welcome.
    06-29-09 08:53 PM
    PAN tethering in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia...

I am struggling with internet/phone options and am running into a language barrier in Saudi Arabia.

The ISP options out here are GSM/3G for cell phones and satellite is available for fixed site. Bad thing about sat set up is lack of portability. I have tried the 3G on a USB modem and it is so-so.

What I want to do is get a Storm I or II (when available) and use it for portability between home and work.

With the 3G availability you can get a SIM for web access and for your phone a SIM for cellular.

Does anyone know if the possibility exists for using two sims at once to avoid paying tethering charges or if there is a work around besides swapping SIM's and loosing service in either?

Thanks!
    08-19-09 08:00 AM
    Does anyone know how to set up bluetooth on a Mac? I've tried it atleast 20 times and still no luck... At times I wish I stull had a PC for easy access

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 11:25 AM
    Ok I'm on sprint network do I need a extra initialization is everything else the same help plz

03-07-10 02:20 AM
    Thanks !!!
    05-04-10 05:28 AM
    You're welcome.
    06-09-10 07:26 AM
    Or buy Tether. I've had excellent results using it, and it supports Bluetooth now.
    06-30-10 02:07 PM
    I just want to THANK YOU for posting this! i had so much trouble getting the bb to connect and was afraid id have to buy a tether software copy, but after i followed the instructions i got success immediately! thanks! W
    07-09-10 08:58 PM
    I had a **** of a time getting this to work. For someone else, my Bluetooth Services was not started (or enabled). So go to start menu, run, type in "services.msc" , and look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE. Make sure this is enabled. Once this was enabled, only then was I able to pair my phone with my computer.

Once that was done, following the steps was a breeze. I have Sprint. Although the connection is realllly slow, it works great for saving on hotel wifi costs. I'm going to San Francisco in a month, and the hotel charges $15/day for wifi! My USB port on my phone is broken, so thank god this bluetooth way work. Love it.
    09-03-10 09:09 PM
    Finally someone posted this. This should be stickied.
    01-05-11 04:41 PM
    For all the people in UAE if you are wondering what the extra initialization command for du and etisalat plsese use the below

etisalat

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","etisalat.ae"

Du

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","du.ae"

Hope this gets u guys tethered... happy surfing.......
    03-26-11 02:42 PM
    thank you dude working for me>>>>>>>>>
    in my bold 9900 with airtel 3g connection in india
    07-28-13 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD