After hearing that the Android Menu bar will be fixed and won't auto hide itself. (From Kris' OS thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...8/#post8807042) I wanted to find out if it is true.

Sure enough, I had a twitter conversation with Michael Clewey and was told that with the new 10.2 OS update, Android apps (which will be running on the new Jelly Bean runtime) will have the back button pinned to the bottom.
    https://twitter.com/Andy4Life/status/355501342032265216

I certainly don't want the menu to always be at the bottom and would rather use the back gesture. It is going to be taking up precious screen space, especially for the Q10. I like the idea of having it ON by default, but I don't like that you can't hide it if you are familiar with the back gesture. Perhaps it should let users disable it if the user demonstrates they know the back gesture (perhaps through a mini tutorial).

If anyone else agrees that it should be customizeable so power users can hide it by editing their advanced setting, I suggest we start letting BlackBerry know about it.
    Tweet and DM all the BlackBerry accounts, and other key BlackBerry employees.
    Otech#CB and bbschorsch like this.
    07-14-13 09:36 PM
    Personally I've found it very useful.
    Gestures are fancy but not dynamic. Touching a single "back" button is far quickier than swipping up your finger.
    Getting rid of the good old hardware buttons unveils some lacks of this new UI desing.
    Agree with the disable option btw.
    07-14-13 10:11 PM
    I think they had the nexus in mind when they implemented it.
    It's the only no button android if I'm correct..
    It's both good and bad i believe..

Bad because of the screen size problem on the Q.
    Good because it makes then look similar to native apps in a way..

It still going to suck with games tho

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:13 PM
    On the PlayBook, I can disable or enable the 'back' button; perhaps this will be a future consideration.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:20 PM
    Keep in mind that BlackBerry has to develop its OS with the masses as the focus - that means the average Joe. Basic user experience tests will tell you that a consistent user interface leads to a greater OS adoption rate.

The back button will keep android apps in line with bb10 apps in that a simple back button is used rather than a diagonal back gesture.

Posted with CB10 on Z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-14-13 10:47 PM
    Keep in mind that BlackBerry has to develop its OS with the masses as the focus - that means the average Joe. Basic user experience tests will tell you that a consistent user interface leads to a greater OS adoption rate.

The back button will keep android apps in line with bb10 apps in that a simple back button is used rather than a diagonal back gesture.

Posted with CB10 on Z10
    This

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 11:33 PM
    Put it on by default to keep it simple for Joe public, but complaints will come from people complaining about buttons being covered and apps not utilizing the full screen. It will be a debacle. Give us the option to turn it off. If people don't like to use the back gesture, then they can swipe down from the top for settings and bring the bar up.

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    07-14-13 11:37 PM
    Put it on by default to keep it simple for Joe public, but complaints will come from people complaining about buttons being covered and apps not utilizing the full screen. It will be a debacle. Give us the option to turn it off. If people don't like to use the back gesture, then they can swipe down from the top for settings and bring the bar up.

Posted via CB10
    I believe if it's there permanently, they will code it so it sits under the said android app, not over like currently.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 11:50 PM
    At least it's smaller.
    07-14-13 11:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I
    +100
    This
    Just what was on my mind.
    I'm sure they'll listen and put the option if they took a glance at the CB forums after the update is released.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 12:51 AM
    I believe if it's there permanently, they will code it so it sits under the said android app, not over like currently.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe that's on an official bbw port app, but I saw a post from someone showing an app where it covered usable buttons and they said they could not use that side loaded app. However it was a transparent bar not the solid one I have seen in other screen shots. I'll either have to read through kris's thread or wait and see, but I hope you're right!

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 02:03 AM
    If the bar is permanently pinned and is layered on top of apps as it currently is I may have to switch phones.

I love my Z10 but that's actually terrible planning on BlackBerry's part.

Why remove the option of hiding the bar? Can someone enlighten me as to how that is at all beneficial?
    07-15-13 02:39 AM
    Maybe that's on an official bbw port app, but I saw a post from someone showing an app where it covered usable buttons and they said they could not use that side loaded app. However it was a transparent bar not the solid one I have seen in other screen shots. I'll either have to read through kris's thread or wait and see, but I hope you're right!

Posted via CB10
    It was me. The app was Major Mayhem and it covered "More Games", "Goals", and "Achievements", the latter two being pretty useful

According to people, the bar will be permanently there and to compensate the app's viewport will be reduced. In layman terms, the Android apps will shrink to make room for the bar. Considering that screen real estate is very precious, especially on the already small Qseries devices, it's going to be a devastating blow.

They won't need to do that if only people learn to WTFT, Watch The F***ing Tutorial.

But then again, there's a reason we haven't got nice things

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    chrispdm1 likes this.
    07-15-13 02:50 AM
    If the bar is permanently pinned and is layered on top of apps as it currently is I may have to switch phones.

Why remove the option of hiding the bar? Can someone enlighten me as to how that is at all beneficial?
    Pinning the bat permanently is as *****-proof as it can get. Even an ***** can't deny that the "back" button is staring him in the face. Presumably, this will be useful when someone retorts that he can't finish his job because BlackBerry 10's Android runtime doesn't have an obvious "back" button.

Ironic, since BlackBerry 10 was supposed to be all about ditching buttons

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-15-13 02:53 AM

I understand that the situation isn't ideal, but it is hardly a deal breaker. If you want to switch phones because you don't like it or find it lacking, then yeah go ahead. There is NO obligation to stay to a particular phone. But to use this permanent android bar as an excuse? Dramatic much? smh
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 03:11 AM
    Ironic, since BlackBerry 10 was supposed to be all about ditching buttons

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    If I recall native apps have buttons, so how us that ironic?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 03:15 AM
    If I recall native apps have buttons, so how us that ironic?

Posted via CB10
    Because instead of promoting "no more buttons", they promote buttons by forcing it upon everybody

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-15-13 03:42 AM
    It was me. The app was Major Mayhem and it covered "More Games", "Goals", and "Achievements", the latter two being pretty useful

According to people, the bar will be permanently there and to compensate the app's viewport will be reduced. In layman terms, the Android apps will shrink to make room for the bar. Considering that screen real estate is very precious, especially on the already small Qseries devices, it's going to be a devastating blow.

They won't need to do that if only people learn to WTFT, Watch The F***ing Tutorial.

But then again, there's a reason we haven't got nice things

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    To be honest, that would probably be me... I only remember seeing that gesture once when I first got my phone. I forgot it as I never used it for the first little while, then as I started using more android apps, I was swiping down to bring the bar up. I vaguely was thinking that I thought i had seen a gesture for back. Then while using an app I stumbled on it again and then it came back to me. made me feel a little stupid, but throughout that the last thing I wanted was the bar to be there permanently.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely, the only way to please everyone is to make as much as possible toggleable and optional. BlackBerry learning with the camera click optionality. Just adopt the approach as policy. For a little more effort much greater approval.

Also, if there is a gesture option as in this case, on the toggle/option screen put a link titled "Learn gesture - 'Back'" and take people straight to the relevant part of the tutorial. Then all bases are covered.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 04:40 AM
    Yea. Blackberry needs to make it optional for the q10 and q5, WE NEED AS MUCH space as we can get for the apps themselves. Please don't disappoint the ones who own it!!
    07-15-13 04:47 AM
    That's a terrible idea. Why not choosable like on PlayBook?
    07-15-13 06:00 AM
    The real estate, on the Q, is precious as it is. The idea of losing the space to a bar is ridiculous. What is wrong with the current system?

Surely, people that actually know how to sideload (the minority that there are) are smart enough to know how to get the back button. And sure, you can pin it too, if necessary...

This is simply pandering for pandering's sake.

Unnecessary and will potentially compromise the already compromised android experience, on the compromised real estate of the Q!

I don't want my wicked jelly bean experience messed up by lack of screen real estste!

Defeats it's purpose!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    07-15-13 06:06 AM

Go get and android devices stop looking for ***** excuses.Just go.I could care less about the bar.That back gesture better used for something native and useful to OS.
    07-15-13 07:56 AM
    Well, imho the bar needs to be hidden at least for the Q's. Having it always on is like getting back to the 9900 screen, but without the benefits of the trackpad and the extra buttons. I use google maps sideloaded daily, since BlackBerry maps are not available in my country ( thank you BlackBerry) . Now is totally decent, but when I loaded the 10.2 leak and used it with the bar it was close to unusable.
    It's not that hard to make a small tutorial like the one when you get when you use the phone first time. Remember, the bar can come up if you slide from above the screen too, you don't really need to use the swipe bellow the screen gesture to go back. I rather do one more gesture to bring the bar up and then press next that having it on at all times.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:21 AM
    Give us the option to choose, I personally don't like it.
    08-08-13 01:14 PM
29 12