I've figured out how to remove core system files. I've only removed the language files, and a few other carrier related items, but nothing more. It isn't important to shrink out stuff I have no current knowledge of...oh but eventually I will know, yeeees, I will know!!!

Anyway, it's easier to shrink AFTER installation, than to go through all of the hurdles of a preinstall shrink - having to disassemble then reassemble the OS and its contents. What I've done is allow desktop tools - in this case I'm using Sachibar and vnBB10 - the ability to "see" AND access core system files. It's pretty simple, here we go...

WARNING...IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR PHONE.

In the images, to the left of my desktop image, you can see Sachibar and vnBB10 active together - no weird happenings here. To the right of those are the list of extracted bar files, from OS10.2.0.483, for references

With my phone connected to USB, and in Development Mode, I start Sachibar and select the tab to show me the list of installed system files. As you can see, my phone is littered with language files I do not currently use. I scroll thru this list - the Sachibar window should be active, to scroll thru the list - and make note of all of the language files I plan to remove. Once I'm done there, I go to the extracted files folder and select the language files I extracted from the installed OS. I highlight these files, then drag and drop the language file group onto the vnBB10 window. From this point, all you'll see is a blank list of file names and file size numbers.

Next, I install every language file I drug into the vnBB10 program. It's this action that will allow these files to become accessible. NO, there will not be a duplicate file set. With using the exact same language file from the installed OS, duplication will not happen. Now, if you THOUGHT you selected the correct extracted OS folder, and didn't pay attention, yes, you will have duplicates...alot of duplicates. Pay attention!

Once installation is complete, select the "back" tab on vnBB10, and it will take you to the home screen of this program. Select "manage apps" and wait for the installed apps list to populate. You'll then see all of the language files now active and visible. Check the box of all the visible language files, and select "uninstall". Wait until the process is complete.

Close Sachibar and restart the app - Sasha, there should be a "clear list" tab here - and you'll now see all the language files you don't use, removed. Happy happy, joy joy!!

UPDATE: Sachesi has a bar removal function, so most of what I've listed is now done in an easier manner, using Sachesi.

This update pertains to the OS 10.2.1.1925 line to the current OS 10.2.1.2234. Listed are known SAFE bar files that can be removed without issue.

Language files: all SYS.DATA.IMF... can be removed, EXCEPT sys.data.imf.ROOT

Comm files are basically preinstalled apps: com.assestscience.BBVE
    com.rim.bb.app.retaildemoshim

System files are core files. Be extremely careful when fiddling with these files. They're "nonremovable" in a sense, but with some work, can be removed. The easiest way to remove these is to extract an older version from a 10.0 or 10.1 OS, sideload those BAR files using Sachesi, and then deleting: sys.games
    sys.help
    sys.howto
    Z10 ONLY sys.miracastviewer
    Z10 ONLY sys.rcse
    sys.retaildemo

That's basically the safest bar files to remove. Anything further is at your own risk.
    Attached Thumbnails How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-27-.jpg   How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-29-.jpg   How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-30-.jpg   How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-32-.jpg   How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-34-.jpg  

How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-screenshot-38-.jpg  
    Last edited by Mecca EL; 03-23-14 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Update
    07-13-13 02:35 PM
    Would the software update in the Settings push them all back?
    07-13-13 02:37 PM
    Would the software update in the Settings push them all back?
    Let me test....
    07-13-13 02:41 PM
    Update checks do not reinstall removed language files
    How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-img_00000015.png

Posted via CB10
    thurask and MeerMusik like this.
    07-13-13 02:42 PM
    Dope

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 02:44 PM
    Very cool - glad to see the deleted files are not repopulated with carrier updates.
    07-13-13 02:45 PM
    Dude...WAY too complicated.

After every OS install, I open up the Chrome PAM and delete unneeded language files (I only ever leave en_US and root). I also delete retaildemoshim and something else that I find useless (can't remember what it is right now though).

Yeah, I have to do each file one at a time, but that's fine with me.
    Javid Gozalov and dkreeg like this.
    07-13-13 02:47 PM

After every OS install, I open up the Chrome PAM and delete unneeded language files (I only ever leave en_US and root). I also delete retaildemoshim and something else that I find useless (can't remember what it is right now though).

Oh, I also delete foursquare, twitter, anything I don't want (sometimes bing, evernote, slacker, stuff like that creep their way in via carriers)
    07-13-13 02:48 PM
    I've figured out how to remove core system files. I've only removed the language files, and a few other carrier related items, but nothing more. It isn't important to shrink out stuff I have no current knowledge of...oh but eventually I will know, yeeees, I will know!!!

Anyway, it's easier to shrink AFTER installation, than to go through all of the hurdles of a preinstall shrink - having to disassemble then reassemble the OS and its contents. What I've done is allow desktop tools - in this case I'm using Sachibar and vnBB10 - the ability to "see" AND access core system files. It's pretty simple, here we go...

WARNING...IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR PHONE.

In the images, to the left of my desktop image, you can see Sachibar and vnBB10 active together - no weird happenings here. To the right of those are the list of extracted bar files, from OS10.2.0.483, for references

With my phone connected to USB, and in Development Mode, I start Sachibar and select the tab to show me the list of installed system files. As you can see, my phone is littered with language files I do not currently use. I scroll thru this list - the Sachibar window should be active, to scroll thru the list - and make note of all of the language files I plan to remove. Once I'm done there, I go to the extracted files folder and select the language files I extracted from the installed OS. I highlight these files, then drag and drop the language file group onto the vnBB10 window. From this point, all you'll see is a blank list of file names and file size numbers.

Next, I install every language file I drug into the vnBB10 program. It's this action that will allow these files to become accessible. NO, there will not be a duplicate file set. With using the exact same language file from the installed OS, duplication will not happen. Now, if you THOUGHT you selected the correct extracted OS folder, and didn't pay attention, yes, you will have duplicates...alot of duplicates. Pay attention!

Once installation is complete, select the "back" tab on vnBB10, and it will take you to the home screen of this program. Select "manage apps" and wait for the installed apps list to populate. You'll then see all of the language files now active and visible. Check the box of all the visible language files, and select "uninstall". Wait until the process is complete.

Close Sachibar and restart the app - Sasha, there should be a "clear list" tab here - and you'll now see all the language files you don't use, removed. Happy happy, joy joy!!
    Yeah. Thanks for posting, man.
    07-13-13 02:49 PM

Oh, I also delete foursquare, twitter, anything I don't want (sometimes bing, evernote, slacker, stuff like that creep their way in via carriers)
    Oh, so you wait NOW to tell us???!!! Thanks Leigh!! Where's my bat, I'm aiming for your knee caps!!
    07-13-13 02:50 PM
    Oh, so you wait NOW to tell us???!!! Thanks Leigh!! Where's my bat, I'm aiming for your knee caps!!
    I wasn't holding out bro. I've mentioned that process a few other places. Thought you knew. My bad.
    wolffkrieger likes this.
    07-13-13 02:56 PM
    I wasn't holding out bro. I've mentioned that process a few other places. Thought you knew. My bad.

You know me, I like to do things the hard way!
    Oh, and thanks for the retail bar info. Removed roughly a total 150mb of crap.
    07-13-13 03:04 PM
    So would you guys care to make a list of what is safe to remove? Pretty, pretty please!!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-13 03:07 PM

You know me, I like to do things the hard way!
    Oh, and thanks for the retail bar info. Removed roughly a total 150mb of crap.
    There's plenty of "crap" in these OSes (my opinion - I was always an extreme OS shrink guy). Sometimes there's a "blackberry" bar, that almost always contains a third-party app. The new Joyn feature is in the sys.rcse bar. I'm sure I've uncovered a few other things that I chose to remove, but since they're gone now...

I will strongly recommend AGAINST removing pbcd. I poked around in that file and found that it was the installer for Link. I figured I had Link already on my PC so I didn't need that bar on my device. Bad choice. Once I removed that bar, I could no longer access my device with Link or with any developer mode tools. And I always got prompts to install Link on my PC. Since I couldn't access the device, I couldn't replace the pbcd bar. I was forced to do a fresh install...and since I couldn't access with Link I was unable to do a backup first. It was not a good day.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-13-13 03:11 PM

And how do you do this? I would love to get rid of junk like we use to with BBSAK on legacy devices.
    07-13-13 03:16 PM
    There's plenty of "crap" in these OSes (my opinion - I was always an extreme OS shrink guy). Sometimes there's a "blackberry" bar, that almost always contains a third-party app. The new Joyn feature is in the sys.rcse bar. I'm sure I've uncovered a few other things that I chose to remove, but since they're gone now...

I will strongly recommend AGAINST removing pbcd. I poked around in that file and found that it was the installer for Link. I figured I had Link already on my PC so I didn't need that bar on my device. Bad choice. Once I removed that bar, I could no longer access my device with Link or with any developer mode tools. And I always got prompts to install Link on my PC. Since I couldn't access the device, I couldn't replace the pbcd bar. I was forced to do a fresh install...and since I couldn't access with Link I was unable to do a backup first. It was not a good day.
    Bwahahahaha!!! I recall you telling me about that. Had no idea it affected so much of the phone. Looking into the file - PlayBookCD - all I saw on the surface was playbook related items in the assets folder. Oh, and that .img file! I bet that's the Link info
    07-13-13 03:17 PM
    So would you guys care to make a list of what is safe to remove? Pretty, pretty please!!
    Here are the files I have safely removed:

Bing (not always present, depends on carrier)
    com.evernote (same)
    com.foursquare.blackberry
    com.rim.bb.app.newsstand
    com.rim.bb.app.retaildemoshim
    com.twitter
    slacker.radio
    sys.data.imf.xx_XX (for any unused language files. As noted, I keep en_US and root)
    sys.vad (Voice Activated Dialing. I don't use it)

There might be a few others as well...I'll update this post if I run across them.
    deezy87, kzeusr, FF22 and 4 others like this.
    07-13-13 03:18 PM
    And how do you do this? I would love to get rid of junk like we use to with BBSAK on legacy devices.
    I use the Playbook Application Manager for Chrome. Put device in Development Mode, follow instructions for the Chrome extension.

You'll see a list of all the bar modules on your device. Check the box for one, click uninstall. All done. Only hassle is you can only perform operations on one file at a time...
    07-13-13 03:20 PM
    The last 2 images give a pretty good map of what you can remove, as far as language files are concerned. Outside of that, don't touch anything else.
    caltrmptguy86 likes this.
    07-13-13 03:21 PM
    Awesome. Thanks. I've deleted a few of those and I think you can delete with the new Sachesi also. Hopefully Bing and Slacker don't make their way back.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-13-13 03:22 PM
    I use the Playbook Application Manager for Chrome. Put device in Development Mode, follow instructions for the Chrome extension.

You'll see a list of all the bar modules on your device. Check the box for one, click uninstall. All done. Only hassle is you can only perform operations on one file at a time...
    Thanks. I will give it a try.
    07-13-13 03:25 PM
    Awesome. Thanks. I've deleted a few of those and I think you can delete with the new Sachesi also. Hopefully Bing and Slacker don't make their way back.
    About to install Sachesi. I haven't had problems with betas reinstalling removed/deleted files. Official leaks, yes.
    07-13-13 04:03 PM
    Maybe a noob question, but what are the benefits of removing things?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 04:15 PM
    Can we remove the "Game" app too? The one that keeps popping when you run certain games. Ty

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    07-13-13 04:16 PM
    Maybe a noob question, but what are the benefits of removing things?

Posted via CB10
    More room, and if it was running then you get that little bit of processing power/RAM back.
    07-13-13 04:20 PM
328 123 ...