Hi all...

I've been using my Z10 for a month or two now, and I enjoy the experience except for the keyboard. I know that seems a little odd since a lot of people really like it. I just feel like I can't type well enough. I don't use too much "txt speak" like "u, plz, lol". I do tend to use ellipses (...) occasionally. The issue is that it won't capitalize the letter of the word after it.

For example: "I'm not really sure... did you ask?" Notice how the "d" in did is not capitalized? I run into this issue a lot, and while not a huge inconvenience, it is something I need to take the time to correct.

Also, I have experimented with prediction settings and auto-correction with the spacebar and whatever else is available to toggle in the settings, but I've noticed that I can't trust it to type what I want. I can't seem to remember a specific example unfortunately, but with my Note II using SwiftKey, I could really trust it to be correct spelling if I make a mistake, or predict words that were spot on. Perhaps I just need to spend more time focusing on making sure I type correctly? That way my Z10 learns "me" better?

I've looked at the tips/tricks article that was written awhile ago on CrackBerry, as well as a few other threads, but if anyone has some advice on how to type more effectively with the device, I would definitely appreciate it.

Also... I have experimented with one hand typing VS two thumbs, etc. Not sure if that makes a difference. I think I remember watching a video saying that it was designed for both ways?
    07-11-13 08:51 PM
    Hi, check your toggles in prediction and text, Auto-capitalize should be on. You can setup the auto text to make the smiley faces so mu much faster. Eg I use sm for or su for this way you don't have to keep swiping to get to the buttons or keep hitting the emoticon tab in bbm.

Anytime you see a red marking on the words, click it to correct the spelling or add to dictionary.
    07-11-13 09:39 PM
    I've been on my Z for a couple of months, too. I know what you mean. I've had to familiarize myself with some tendencies and learn to press the shift button every once in a while to capitalize some letters. Not too much trouble.

Posted via CB10 w/ the Z10
    07-11-13 10:09 PM
    Also, as far as typing in general, I've never enjoyed predictive text. I love how I can flick words off my keyboard on the Z, but I've always traditionally typed my message out and used a spell check at the end. My thumbs have better odds of keeping up with what my brain has to say. Maybe I'm just old school.

Posted via CB10 w/ the Z10
    07-11-13 10:16 PM
    I've never known the word following ellipses to be capitalized...ellipses indicate that the sentence is continuing, not ending and a new sentence beginning (as would be the case with a period).

The keyboard does have a few idiosyncrasies that you need to be aware of (like when you flick a word up, the space is always there following your flicked word) but if you're aware of them, the idiosyncrasies aren't too much of an issue.

Posted via CB10 on a sexy Z10
    billsterjito and trsbbs like this.
    07-11-13 10:24 PM
    "I'm not really sure... did you ask? ". Simply it is not seeing the end of a sentence which is generally ended with a period.

Posted via CB10
    Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-11-13 10:24 PM
    I have had my z10 since March and I still prefer my wife's q10 keyboard. That said, I do pretty well since it is decent, especially for a touch keyboard

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:30 PM
    I'm a lot better on my Z10 when typing than my wife. But, she also has a mandatory bulky case(Otterbox) on hers that is an issue when using the keyboard and/or in a hurry to correct and post.

My more loyal than a dog Z10/ os 10.2.0.483/ PIN PM me(~_*)
    07-13-13 03:16 PM
    To capitalise a key, without shift It's just like the old os6 and 7 just hold the letter down for about 2 second s. If that makes it easier while typing.

Posted via CB10
    rcgZ10guy likes this.
    07-13-13 04:46 PM
    One thing I noticed that helped after using a 9900 is use a very light touch on the z10. A lighter quick touch seems to work better for most things then a heavy touch.

Swordsmanship Channel: C000C9AF6
    07-13-13 05:08 PM
    Really? I type so well on my Z10 that even when I'm on a normal computer, I wish it would use auto correct and prediction as I type faster on my Z10 than any physical keyboard. I have set loads of auto corrects manually so long words I tend to use a lot will be filles in automatically. Also, I have many sentences I say a lot also entered in auto correct. Like 'iwcyb' will automatically become 'I will call you back'. Things like that make it super easy to type super fast. I love it and am completely used to it. Took a while, but now my device knows me, I'm lighting fast.

Posted via CB10
    Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-13-13 05:31 PM
    There are certain words you might find it changing to words you don't want, such as, are becomes ate. Your becomes tour.

I sat with pen and paper and caught a lot of these words over a couple of days, then in to settings, language and substitution. There is a list of shortcuts. In there you find two boxes, tap add and type the word you want in both boxes and the word change won't happen again.

I need a physical keyboard cos of stiff fingers and I never in a million years thought i'd swap my qwerty for my Z10....but it's working for me now

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 05:50 PM
    Maybe you can space after your ellipses... If you want your next word auto capitalized.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 05:55 PM
    It's right not to automatically capitalise a word after an ellipse but it does work for the start of a new sentence after a full stop

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    07-14-13 03:10 AM
    There are certain words you might find it changing to words you don't want, such as, are becomes ate. Your becomes tour.

I sat with pen and paper and caught a lot of these words over a couple of days, then in to settings, language and substitution. There is a list of shortcuts. In there you find two boxes, tap add and type the word you want in both boxes and the word change won't happen again.

I need a physical keyboard cos of stiff fingers and I never in a million years thought i'd swap my qwerty for my Z10....but it's working for me now

Posted via CB10
    In the beginning, yes. But if you correct each word immediately, it learns this and will predict it correctly next time. At least that's the case with me. But correcting needs to be done immediately, not after you finished the sentence.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 12:50 PM
    The problem here is deals with grammar, not the keyboard. The next letter after an ellipse is not suppose to be capitalized. It is not the end of a sentence, but a pause leading to a continuation of what you are stating. If you end what you are stating with a within a complete sentence with a period, then the beginning of your next sentence should start with a capital letter. Sorry, but in this instance the keyboard is adhering to the proper rules of grammar. It's doing what it is supposed to do.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:02 PM
    I've had my z10 since April and I am still getting used to it. I mess up a lot sometimes still. :\ but I love it!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:51 PM
    If you plan on using the... then you should use the press and hold on the next letter to capitalize. Train yourself to do it and it's not a big deal
    07-14-13 02:19 PM
    I've had my z10 since April and I am still getting used to it. I mess up a lot sometimes still. :\ but I love it!

Posted via CB10
    Having the same issue. For me, typing is not as fast as it used to be on the physical keyboard, although sometimes the predicted words to be swiped upwards make writing fun and helpful. Still, I don't write like before, i.e. without thinking where my thumbs have to be next. Any tricks on how to improve writing will be much appreciated. How long does it take to get used to the keyboard after all? Apart from that, the z10 is a nice phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 03:31 PM