This is really going to be a simple but lengthy process (only for first set up).

If you have a Gmail account. Go to www.google.com/contacts and sign in with your account. Start adding each contact. Now when completed, all your contacts will always be saved there, so when you add a Gmail account to your BlackBerry Device, it'll automatically pull all those contacts. Voila, no need for physical backup.

If you have iCloud or Outlook/Hotmail, start doing the same thing there. Once you've added all your contacts, it'll be there for life. If you import account to device, your contacts will sync.

Here's the best part, when you add a contact on device, it'll sync to that service where your pulling contacts from.

:O say it ain't so, a miracle. Back up and Restore problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    pili4, LP_Rigg, ghundiraj and 2 others like this.
    07-10-13 12:48 AM
    I am in the middle of this on a gmail acct as you sent the reply out. I tried the outlook.com but my vcards were "too big" to try and import. I did the contact x and his reply was BS if you ask me... just blaming the BB10 for all the issues I was having. I was the one with the two way sync to yahoo or outlook thread you replied to I believe yesterday. I am going to try and get a newer outlook but just cant justify paying for an email client at this point. I will "find" one first if it comes to that. Plus, my main email has been my yahoo for YEARS and that does not allow POP3 unless you pay now... another bend over prospect of which I am unhappy with... but again, work clients have that address so I am trying to keep it. I know I sound like a little whiner when it comes to the contacts and the call ID stuff with the 4543 and poss the 10.2... but it is something someone like I use and rely on sooooooo much on a day to day and I would love to find a fix. It was so much easier on the previous BBOS lol.
    anyways... I am going to continue on with my gmail "merge" and bottle of Tullamore to see if I can work this out before morning hahaha.
    Any Ideas would be greatly considered... without any casualties to cats hahaha
    07-10-13 01:04 AM
    :O say it ain't so, a miracle. Back up and Restore problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 08:37 AM
    If anyone's wondering, contacts are in the "settings" of your Link backup file.
    07-10-13 08:53 AM
    Thanks Kris for this,

But man... i have a SH*T load of contacts, its going to take me forever to load them up online..

Seriously wish there was a easier way to get contacts off this BB.
    AhmetToca likes this.
    07-10-13 01:54 PM
    Thanks Kris for this,

But man... i have a SH*T load of contacts, its going to take me forever to load them up online..

Seriously wish there was a easier way to get contacts off this BB.
    Copy all to a sim card (if they fit),load to android/ios device, import contacts from sim, sync to google/outlook/icloud

Or via app export to csv and import that way

Posted via CB10
    blakobecwa likes this.
    07-10-13 02:50 PM
    Copy all to a sim card (if they fit),load to android/ios device, import contacts from sim, sync to google/outlook/icloud

Posted via CB10
    Wish I dug out the torch before they left my sim card... fail

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 03:02 PM
    On this: I recently dumped iCloud for GMAIL contacts and am much happier for it.

While it *IS* possible to sync iCloud and Z10/PlayBook, I found it a pain in the arse that didn't work all that well in practice. Contact Pictures from my computer wouldn't display on my device and updated information from one to the other didn't always sync right.

It's not like Apple has any interest in non-Apple devices using their service to keep contacts current. Google, however, does what it does to get people to use Google search, regardless of platform.

Had much better results when I switched.
    07-10-13 03:11 PM
    Although - anyone know how to keep social networking information current across device and cloud (ie. facebook, twitter, linkedin, skype)? I find most services support this to some degree or other, but it never seems to transfer quite right. Probably a lack of 'standard'.
    07-10-13 03:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just copied all my contacts to the SIM card, I'll Def give this a shot... gonna have to find another device though, my household has all BlackBerry devices lol

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 03:18 PM
    Although - anyone know how to keep social networking information current across device and cloud (ie. facebook, twitter, linkedin, skype)? I find most services support this to some degree or other, but it never seems to transfer quite right. Probably a lack of 'standard'.
    Only one I know that does that is HTC Sense UI and Google. As the way social interacts with contacts there, I've had to delete html5 code out of some of my contacts notes on my Q

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-10-13 04:08 PM
    I imported my Gmail contacts to Yahoo, and signed in to my "Yahoo Contacts". Solved it for me.
    07-10-13 04:20 PM
    My reply was for mopar....
    07-10-13 04:21 PM
    Here's a question. If you have a work space and you want to backup the local, Yahoo/Gmail, workspace and the others from your device into a single file to then import in Yahoo/Gmail how do yo do that? Or can't you export the contacts on the device to a .csv or vcard file?
    07-11-13 03:55 PM
    Hey guys, I thought I'd give my two cents on the matter. The method I ended up using actually combines both an online backup and a backup directly on your phone. This also works well if you don't want to have your contacts "in" the contacts section of your email account. It can be time consuming but hey...

1. Add all you contacts as vcard files (.vcf) to an email as attachments. this may take a couple of emails depending on how many you have...

2. Send said emails to yourself. Use an account that you have setup on your phone.

3. Create a folder on your SD card, name it what you like.

4. Open up the email you sent to yourself, view the attachments and save the files to the folder on your SD card.

5. Load contacts from the SD card into the Contacts app.

And that's pretty much it. If your contacts don't restore properly or you can't get them right after a new install, you can always delete the ones in the contacts app and load them directly from your SD card. Granted if you have hundreds of contacts this may not be for you. It isn't fool proof, but it works for me. And you have a copy online and on your phone without having to use your SIM card.

Hope this helps someone out there. you guys are always providing tips and tricks for everyone else.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-12-13 07:14 PM
    Is it possible to do a Bluetooth transfer from a 9780 to Q10?
    08-13-13 10:23 AM
    OK Chaps, can I ask a straight forward question about contacts?

I bought a new Q10 this week but I didn't have my previous B'berry Curve available because it belonged to my previous company and I had to hand it back.

No problem, I thought because all my contacts are stored in a contacts folder on my PC from which I can create a .csv file.
    Having struggled with Blackberry Link (which I down loaded but it seems to be crap) and reading this forum I tried the Gmail trick. As I didn't have one I set up a Gmail account an very easily imported all my contacts into Gmail from my PC.

I then added my Gmail account to my Blackberry Q10 and checked it was working by sending a few test emails to other accounts and it's fine. However, after 12 hours no contacts have appeared from my Gmail account into my Q10. So, is there another step I need to go through to load them from Gmail to the Q10 or is it, as I understood from the posts on here, automatic?

Must say I am getting totally frustrated with this device, not being able to load contacts easily is such a vital part of any phone and I can't believe RIM have made it so difficult!

Thanks Rich...
    09-04-13 08:07 AM
    OK Chaps, can I ask a straight forward question about contacts?

I bought a new Q10 this week but I didn't have my previous B'berry Curve available because it belonged to my previous company and I had to hand it back.

No problem, I thought because all my contacts are stored in a contacts folder on my PC from which I can create a .csv file.
    Having struggled with Blackberry Link (which I down loaded but it seems to be crap) and reading this forum I tried the Gmail trick. As I didn't have one I set up a Gmail account an very easily imported all my contacts into Gmail from my PC.

I then added my Gmail account to my Blackberry Q10 and checked it was working by sending a few test emails to other accounts and it's fine. However, after 12 hours no contacts have appeared from my Gmail account into my Q10. So, is there another step I need to go through to load them from Gmail to the Q10 or is it, as I understood from the posts on here, automatic?

Must say I am getting totally frustrated with this device, not being able to load contacts easily is such a vital part of any phone and I can't believe RIM have made it so difficult!

Thanks Rich...
    Did you have it set to sync contacts when you set it up?
    09-04-13 06:18 PM
    Not sure... I just switched it on, answered the set-up questions and downloaded Link. That didn't work so I opened a Gmail a/c, added my contacts and am waiting for them to load to the B'Berry.

I cannot see an option to sync contacts in the Gmail account set-up options. What should I have done, can you be more explicit?
    09-05-13 10:59 AM
    Not sure... I just switched it on, answered the set-up questions and downloaded Link. That didn't work so I opened a Gmail a/c, added my contacts and am waiting for them to load to the B'Berry.

I cannot see an option to sync contacts in the Gmail account set-up options. What should I have done, can you be more explicit?
    If you go to your accounts list, under your Gmail does it say "calendar, email, contacts" ?
    as I went to check mine to be sure I gave you correct directions, mine said "not connected" (which explains my couple missing contacts last night btw). Be sure it has contacts listed and not just email and make sure that it is connected. if not, you may have to delete and reinstall and go through the advanced setup options.
    Rich5ltr likes this.
    09-05-13 11:06 AM
    Hi Mopar-fxr, thanks that seems to have worked. There was no reference to "calendar, email, contacts" with my Gmail account so I deleted it and set it up again. This time I was asked about syncing contacts and calendars so it all seems to be working now!

Now I just need to tidy up the double entries where people are also on Facebook and Twitter.

In fact I might delete the Facebook and Twitter contacts... what do you do?

Cheers
    09-05-13 03:44 PM
    Hi Mopar-fxr, thanks that seems to have worked. There was no reference to "calendar, email, contacts" with my Gmail account so I deleted it and set it up again. This time I was asked about syncing contacts and calendars so it all seems to be working now!

Now I just need to tidy up the double entries where people are also on Facebook and Twitter.

In fact I might delete the Facebook and Twitter contacts... what do you do?

Cheers
    let it do its own thing for a day... it will normally "link" a good amound of them together if you are having "doubles"
    I personally leave twitter off my contacts, but I am not a heavy twitter user. As for facebook, the only issues I have are from the friends that have their name displayed different on FB... for instance using middle name instead of last to keep unwanted people finding them, so out of 500+ contacts for me, I have like 6 pairs of doubles when I set up from scratch.
    Rich5ltr likes this.
    09-05-13 04:36 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:25 AM
    If anyone's wondering, contacts are in the "settings" of your Link backup file.
    restoring from an OS update because i wanted a fresh install instead of just an upgrade but wasnt sure where contacts was on Link program. This helped! Wish it was as easy as the old BB Desktop Manager.
    11-12-13 12:18 PM
    Yes, this is the best solution so far. Much better than making backup by BlackBerry Link, which always messd up my contacts......
    But if there is a way ( except Evernote ) to backup the Remember on device? We can not backup the Remember to Outlook Software anymore since the BlackBerry Link have not offer this option to us...Hmm......That's what I do not like......
    06-20-14 12:16 AM
35 12