I deleted my Media Card and reformatted it to get rid of Other Data. Now it's back! YAY LUCKY ME!

Also I have Other Data on my phone internal memory now too eating away 5GB.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Anyone know the cause of this so I can avoid it in the future?
    07-08-13 05:04 PM
    Other Data is the OS and Apps >.>
    07-08-13 05:33 PM
    OS on the media card? I could understand the OS being in device memory, but not on sd and not constantly on the rise.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 05:44 PM
    I deleted my Media Card and reformatted it to get rid of Other Data. Now it's back! YAY LUCKY ME!

Also I have Other Data on my phone internal memory now too eating away 5GB.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Anyone know the cause of this so I can avoid it in the future?
    Other data is for the app caches and OS. nothing on SD though..

but yeah BBRY should address this problem by having the resource management app hopefully to come standard in 10.2 or downloadable through the BB World.
    07-08-13 06:40 PM
    Other data is for the app caches and OS. nothing on SD though..

but yeah BBRY should address this problem by having the resource management app hopefully to come standard in 10.2 or downloadable through the BB World.
    Why wouldn't they just label that so?

That is news to me, last I checked on this issue Other Data was a huge mystery. Also that doesn't explain why I have Other Data on my SD card which has NO Applications.

Wouldn't I be able to delete caches (temp files)?
    07-09-13 02:21 PM
    Other Data is the OS and Apps >.>
    So what is it called "Other Data". That doesn't make sense unless its some kind of messiness from Android Runtime.
    07-09-13 02:22 PM
    Do you sideload? Not removing them properly results in a lot of data left behind. I wiped and only remove side loads using ddpb now and there has been no further issues.
    07-09-13 07:16 PM
    Through some deductive reasoning other data would be all that is not video, pictures, documents, or music. So that may include the OS, applications, email, tweets, BBM messages, app data not included above, file system over head, etc, etc, etc.

Posted via CB10
    KNIGHTRIDER likes this.
    07-09-13 08:53 PM
    Other data is across all the OS's because its eating up about 100 mb memory on my phone (9900) and I can't get rid of the crap. The first time it was the thumbs.dat file on my sd card but that's not an issue now and I can't find any files that large to delete and I've unhid everything.
    07-09-13 09:20 PM
    Do you sideload? Not removing them properly results in a lot of data left behind. I wiped and only remove side loads using ddpb now and there has been no further issues.
    I do not do a ton of sideloading.

What irks me is no one seems to know for sure what this data is. Perhaps it's an NSA pay load? LOL
    07-10-13 11:00 AM
    Through some deductive reasoning other data would be all that is not video, pictures, documents, or music. So that may include the OS, applications, email, tweets, BBM messages, app data not included above, file system over head, etc, etc, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I came to similar conclusions, but speculation isn't exactly telling me what this data is.
    07-10-13 11:01 AM
    I'm thinking if those are from hub messages.

There are times that I don't have Internet connection yet I can still open the messages on the hub that requires Internet.

Posted using The Z10
    07-10-13 12:25 PM
    I'm thinking if those are from hub messages.

There are times that I don't have Internet connection yet I can still open the messages on the hub that requires Internet.

Posted using The Z10
    Yet another theory.

Any Devs or BB employees have any info?
    07-10-13 01:31 PM
    I'm thinking its from the hub history and cache as it never deletes old data.
    My Other Data is now 13.4 GB and is a big problem for me. Started using an SD card for my music to free up space.
    I'm waiting for 10.2 to do a full restore soon, if not soon enough, i will do a full erase/secure wipe, and setup. but having to re-download the big games is holding me back. Wish there was a way to save apps to PC/MAC also..........
    07-18-13 01:13 AM
    My Other Data is now 13.4 GB and is a big problem for me. Started using an SD card for my music to free up space.
    I'm waiting for 10.2 to do a full restore soon, if not soon enough, i will do a full erase/secure wipe, and setup. but having to re-download the big games is holding me back. Wish there was a way to save apps to PC/MAC also..........
    Seems like a lot of space for stuff in the hub. Also why would that be "other" data and not system data?

It seems to me that no one has a clear answer on where this data originates.
    07-18-13 01:45 PM
    Well this is weird. Someone copied this message to another message board. How creepy.

Any solution for "Other Data" yet on BB10?: [ BlackBerry 10 OS ]
    07-18-13 01:48 PM
    They are as clueless on the BlackBerry forums.

If anyone has any links about this that would be GREAT. No one seems to provide any certainty to the questions about Other Data.
    07-18-13 02:12 PM
    So are you disputing that this is OS and apps or are you disputing the growth as suck. It is surely partially made up of OS and apps, as well as data contained in these items, emails, contacts, etc. We know per file manager the OS itself takes up ~3 gigs before any data is loaded into it (emails, contacts, etc). Not really sure how much contacts and email takes up, but with all those images and probably 500 contact instances (and I know I'm on the low end, sub 100 FB friends for example) it's gotta be a decent chunk. I have 5.1 gigs in other data, have downloaded a few apps, taken some pictures and a few videos, plus podcasts, and ring tones... 5.1 gigs is believable in my case.
    07-18-13 02:54 PM
    I'm still not sure what "Other Data" is on internal storage, but I had 4.3 GB of it on my SD card. I turned on Mass Storage mode and hooked it up to my Windows PC. In the drive properties, it showed 880 MB free out of 15 GB. However, selecting all the folders and showing properties only showed 9 GB in total files. It didn't add up.

I then ran ScanDisk on it. About 2000 file fragments were found, amounting to that 4.3 GB. I believe there is an issue with how the OS is deleting files.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    ladeberry likes this.
    07-18-13 06:11 PM
    I think I've found out what the problem is here...

My other data was up to 7.9 GB as of yesterday, I had 3 GB of free storage. Went trough file manager and saw that my music folder was also in the "Android" folder. I had 4GB of music on my device (no SD-card). I deleted the music folder from Android, and my other data went down to 3.9 GB. But all my music was also deleted from the phone. So Instead of just freeing 4GB, it deleted all my music (freed 8 GB) instead. So the problem is that the music folder is duplicated, and the same goes for pictures, videoes and something called "misc" (dont know what it is).

Also I deleted some games which brought other data down. So as everyone has found out, "other data" is also includes apps. But I think the OS also duplicates the Apps. So lets say you've installed apps worth of 2 GB in total, but due to the Android implementation, its 4 GB in total for some reason. Atleast, thats what I think.
    11-19-13 09:16 AM
    Josh, 10.2 cleared up my Other Data without a restore. I made a similar thread a while back when it became a horrible problem for me. Someone told me it's all the BBWorld Android apps. They aren't bad or anything. They just create a lot of corrupted data. I believe the new 10.2 runtime might have fixed it. It didn't multiply as yet

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:55 AM
    I came to similar conclusions, but speculation isn't exactly telling me what this data is.

Posted via CB10
    It might be the "Device/misc/android" folder for the "Other Data" on the device memory. Other Data is 11.6GB on my device storage.
    • BB Z10
    • 16GB (11.6GB of Other Data)
    • 64GB SD Card (39.5GB of Other Data)
    12-17-13 12:22 AM
    - OR -
    It could be encrypted data.
    I had 39.5GB of Other Data on my 64GB SD Card.
    I also had some encrypted data using the "Hide Files For BlackBerry 10" app.
    After the "Unhide All" (decrypts encrypted data) the Other Data reduced on my SD card to 38.6GB

So:
    39.5GB Other Data with Encrypted Data > 38.6GB Other Data Decrypted Data

Other Data may also be for the device data also (Data that BB 10 encrypts by default I guess)
    12-17-13 12:35 AM
    Any solution for "Other Data" yet on BB10?-img_00000638.png

This is crazy. Link won't even allow me to sync any more music. It says I'm low on memory. I don't understand. How many times am I gonna have to move my files to PC and Reformat card?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:42 PM
    It would be nice if someone at CrackBerry could reach out to BlackBerry about this.

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    Jermanicus likes this.
    12-17-13 08:19 PM