Ok its rhetorical. But do you prefer to buy phones that are branded physically on the outside as well as in the software during startup of the OS, or do you try to avoid those phones? I see some put the carrier logo on the lower plastic piece under the keyboard for the Q10 and it just makes it look so ugly.

I hate how some carriers brand their phone. I can accept maybe the OS startup logo. I dont startup enough to worry about that. But the ones that print on the actual physical phone are just terrible.

Ok you can remove it or use third party replacement parts, but still. Blackberry logo = ok. Carrier logo = not ok.

Same with cars too. I dont understand why people keep their dealer tags on the cars and license plates. No thank you!
    07-08-13 12:50 AM
    I know exactly what you mean, I take the dealer sticker off immediately when I buy a car. Anyone tried removing the carrier logo on their Q10 yet?

Love my Q10
    07-08-13 12:55 AM
    I know exactly what you mean, I take the dealer sticker off immediately when I buy a car. Anyone tried removing the carrier logo on their Q10 yet?

Love my Q10
    Which carrier do you use?

Some carriers dont have the logo.

The thing is I dont think you can scratch it off or clean it off with some solvent and leave it looking pretty. Pretty much the only practical method is to buy a replacement plastic part for those branded pieces and replace it.

As for dealers. Depends if you are lucky there too like with phone carriers. Some actually have card badges placed on the exterior of the car. I dont know how or why they do this. Must have worked it out with the manufacturer. For example, you get GM whatever whatever model on the trunk door normally, well I've seen some cars have hard dealer logos next to the model of the car on the trunk door. Thats way too aggressive. The most I'm ok with is them putting dealer stickers or dealer plate covers.
    07-08-13 12:58 AM
    Thank god my provider "Wind Mobile" doesn't do carrier branding on their phones.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Q10
    07-08-13 01:02 AM
    I have a Verizon Q10 and the branding is horrific. I'm fine with the bar under the keyboard, but on the back cover we have, under the BB Logo, a line that reads: Verizon, and under it, it says 4G LTE. Seriously?!

I hate it.

My friend has TMo, and he has the under-keyboard branding under his keyboard, but nothing on the back cover.

My car dealer installed a license plate with their name on it, etc. I took it off and put on the Champion Porsche license plate from my Parents' dealership. It's flat black and it just says Champion on the bottom. Better than ____ VW LOCATED AT OR _____VW.COM! Might I mention that it was plastic chrome? BLEH.

I also de-badged my car. It had Golf in the bottom left corner and I took it off (hard logo). Looks so much smoother without it.
    07-08-13 01:28 AM
    Wow man..seriously verison does too much branding!! You know they could loose customers buying the Q10 simply because people don't like too much branding..they might go to another carrier.

07-08-13 01:38 AM
    If it's a phone from a provider and they're subsidising it as an upgrade, I can see the point of the brand, but an off the shelf item should be brand free.
    07-08-13 01:46 AM
    If it's a phone from a provider and they're subsidising it as an upgrade, I can see the point of the brand, but an off the shelf item should be brand free.
    Off the shelf, I don't know why you would go to a carrier store to get it. If you're buying an off-the shelf one, it will have no branding. Usually they run you more than retail at a carrier though, because they're global phones.
    07-08-13 02:23 AM
    The problem is not so much with the branding principle (carriers must support permanently their brand), as it is with the way it is executed.

Some carriers have adopted their logos clearly based on how they look when displayed on larger surfaces, without taking into account how the logo will be integrated on a handheld device. The square logo of Orange is way more suitable for display on a phone than the sprawling logo of Verizon.

The marketing guys should have the courage not to put a logo when it damages the design of the phone, or at least do some damage control by making it as inconspicuous as possible.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    rudyalexc likes this.
    07-08-13 02:40 AM
    The problem is not so much with the branding principle (carriers must support permanently their brand), as it is with the way it is executed.

Some carriers have adopted their logos clearly based on how they look when displayed on larger surfaces, without taking into account how the logo will be integrated on a handheld device. The square logo of Orange is way more suitable for display on a phone than the sprawling logo of Verizon.

The marketing guys should have the courage not to put a logo when it damages the design of the phone, or at least do some damage control by making it as inconspicuous as possible.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook

I agree with you. Maybe Verizon should just have that Check mark thing they have, I don't know... Even with the Verizon part on the back, I still don't know why they have to include 4G LTE below it...
    07-08-13 02:43 AM
    Wow man..seriously verison does too much branding!! You know they could loose customers buying the Q10 simply because people don't like too much branding..they might go to another carrier.

What USA phone provider has no branding?

Posts via Z10
    07-08-13 03:04 AM
    Couldn't the manufacturers just dictate that the devices aren't branded? Apple does this for sure. Didn't Samsung do it for the GS3? (I'm not sure about the GS4 or the Note devices.)

Is it the carriers who want the branding, or is it the manufacturer not caring either way about branding?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 03:30 AM
    I ONLY buy unbranded phones.

I hate having to pay for getting a phone unlocked when selling it or giving it away to friends or family.
    I prefer the freedom of choosing whatever carrier I want, and whenever I want it.
    I hate being locked in by long term carrier contracts.
    I prefer the freedom of choosing the phone I want - independently from the carrier's portfolio.
    I hate being limited in phone usage by carriers removing or modifying certain OS features.
    I can easily do without the "support" of carriers which usually sucks.
    I hate new OS versions being delayed for weeks or months by carriers who want to "test" them before release.
    I hate logos, logo screens and all the bloatware that carriers usually put on phones, and that sometimes can't get removed.

I am ready to pay a premium for this "freedom" - but I understand this option is not for everybody.
    07-08-13 04:45 AM

Love my Q10
    My provider (Rogers) didn't have any branding on Z10 and on Q10 in contrast to BB9900 where it has an ugly branding
    07-08-13 07:27 AM
    Why do car dealerships put their stickers on your trunks. Advertising. I know the simple answers elude some, but come on now.

Posted via CB10
    Noosphere06 likes this.
    07-08-13 07:48 AM
    They're vandals imo and should be culled.

Advertise by word of mouth from great service and competitive prices. Not from plastering a company name on a phone that a lot of thought & design has gone into.

Posted via my CB Q10
    07-09-13 08:07 PM
    They're vandals imo and should be culled.

Advertise by word of mouth from great service and competitive prices. Not from plastering a company name on a phone that a lot of thought & design has gone into.

Posted via my CB Q10
    Beat the system by buying cases that cover those areas!! xD

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-09-13 09:28 PM
    This device has no branding on the front, and very dim VZW logo on the bottom of the back.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 11:56 PM
    On my 9900, it was so easy to remove the AT&T logo with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip (haha... Q10...). However when I went to do the same thing with my Q10, no luck. I'll try again in a few months when the logo is a bit worn.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 12:16 AM
    Which carrier do you use?

Some carriers dont have the logo.

The thing is I dont think you can scratch it off or clean it off with some solvent and leave it looking pretty. Pretty much the only practical method is to buy a replacement plastic part for those branded pieces and replace it.

As for dealers. Depends if you are lucky there too like with phone carriers. Some actually have card badges placed on the exterior of the car. I dont know how or why they do this. Must have worked it out with the manufacturer. For example, you get GM whatever whatever model on the trunk door normally, well I've seen some cars have hard dealer logos next to the model of the car on the trunk door. Thats way too aggressive. The most I'm ok with is them putting dealer stickers or dealer plate covers.
    The dealers put them on while they prep the car for sale. GM does not install the dealer badge.
    07-10-13 12:41 AM
    It seems they only brand BBs and not iphone and stuff. Wonder why BB allows them to do this. Maybe they cut a deal for some reason?
    07-10-13 12:56 AM
    Beat the system by buying cases that cover those areas!! xD

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    Noooo I'd rather buy a new blank butterfly (the part under the keyboard). None of my BlackBerry devices that I've had have ever been stamped like this though.

It would look fitting on an iPhone. A nice big congruent VERIZON sign on the back etc.
    07-10-13 05:06 AM
    The carrier branding on the phone doesn't bother me in the slightest. Not sure why it's such a big deal to some people.
    07-10-13 05:47 AM
    It really doesn't bother me at all as far as why they do it it's very simple advertising.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 06:21 AM
    My goodness how this thread proves how materialistic we've all become. Just be happy you have a good working phone. Was Alexander Graham Bell concerned with branding his invention?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 06:53 AM
46 12