I was thinking of buying a Z10 for my daughter but I don't want to add data to her plan. Would she be able to send/ receive mail when in a wifi area like home, school and other hot spots?

I know that is not possible with BB7 but wondering if BB10 can since no BIS is needed?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 05:39 PM
    That's how I've been running mine since January.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 05:41 PM
    Email and stuff works over wifi

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-06-13 05:43 PM
    I was thinking of buying a Z10 for my daughter but I don't want to add data to her plan. Would she be able to send/ receive mail when in a wifi area like home, school and other hot spots?

I know that is not possible with BB7 but wondering if BB10 can since no BIS is needed?

Posted via CB10
    that's what BB10 is designed, with the independence from BIS!
    07-06-13 05:57 PM
    that's what BB10 is designed, with the independence from BIS!
    Ahh. BIS works over WiFi too.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-06-13 07:31 PM

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    But the catch is you have to the data plan. I think.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-06-13 07:32 PM

Posted via CB10

I think carriers require you to have a data plan when you buy a smartphone, even if it's the bare minimum. Also, I like your Tony Stewart 14 avatar. The 42 is my favorite haha I gotta get back to watching the Coke Zero 400 right now.
    07-06-13 07:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    No issues at all without data plan. You are correct, without BIS, it's a whole new world.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:25 PM
    But the catch is you have to the data plan. I think.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    No, you can use BIS for AppWorld and BBM on WiFi only. All I lost on the old BlackBerry is the BlackBerry.net email.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    niss63 likes this.
    07-06-13 10:13 PM
    It will work fine over WiFi but whether your carrier will try to automatically add a data package (they can tell what the phone is via the IMEI) is another matter. Some do, some don't.
    07-06-13 11:47 PM
    I think carriers require you to have a data plan when you buy a smartphone, even if it's the bare minimum. Also, I like your Tony Stewart 14 avatar. The 42 is my favorite haha I gotta get back to watching the Coke Zero 400 right now.
    14 just missed it!
    07-07-13 07:54 AM
    Thanks guys. I may pick up a used Z10 for her, I think that may work best. I may unlock it.

Surprised BBM works also. I guess that doesn't run through BIS anymore either?
    Javid Gozalov likes this.
    07-07-13 07:56 AM

Surprised BBM works also. I guess that doesn't run through BIS anymore either?
    Not on BIS. It uses BlackBerry severs of course.

The BlackBerry logo appears in the top bar when you have access to the BlackBerry severs, which is a pretty good way to tell you have access to the Internet.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:12 AM

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    If you have a legacy BlackBerry with no data plan, you cannot use bbm or email, if you have bb10, you can use bbm and email without a data plan.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:14 AM
    you can buy an unlocked one of amazon / ebay, that way you wouldn't be tied to contract/carrier/data plan
    07-07-13 10:14 AM
    You don't require data if your willing to pay full retail price, if you want the discounted contract price, then yes you need to get it with data plan ( in canada, not speaking for other countries)

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:16 AM
    you can buy an unlocked one of amazon / ebay, that way you wouldn't be tied to contract/carrier/data plan
    That's what I was thinking. That or ebay.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 01:58 PM
    If you have a legacy BlackBerry with no data plan, you cannot use bbm or email, if you have bb10, you can use bbm and email without a data plan.

Posted via CB10
    This is not correct. I'm using a 9780 with no data and it gets email just fine over Wifi.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-07-13 02:04 PM
    You must be having a phone that is the only 9780 made by BlackBerry to do such a thing. All legacy devices got emails through the BIS service which requires a BIS subscription. A phone with BIS subscription will work over wifi.

This is not correct. I'm using a 9780 with no data and it gets email just fine over Wifi.

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    07-07-13 02:08 PM
    I think if it originally had a data plan,thd legacy OS is still tied to the server somehow and wifi just reactivates the link

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 02:35 PM
    You must be having a phone that is the only 9780 made by BlackBerry to do such a thing. All legacy devices got emails through the BIS service which requires a BIS subscription. A phone with BIS subscription will work over wifi.
    My 9780 is also on WiFi only, and I am positive that I do not have any plan on it, and it can BBM and email.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    07-07-13 03:27 PM
    My 9780 can also get Facebook and Twitter, and browse the internet.
    07-07-13 04:49 PM
    I can only tell you what it is doing. It does receive emails over Wifi only, does not have a data plan, and I'm not paying for data on it. It is a replacement phone that has not been connected to BBW or loaded with my data since it was replaced. I just added the necessary email addresses.

My 9900 is also receiving email over Wifi only, but it is connected to BBW and is set up with all of my user information. I am not paying for data for thus phone, either.

My zed is set up with data and is my primary communications device.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 05:18 PM
    I can only tell you what it is doing. It does receive emails over Wifi only, does not have a data plan, and I'm not paying for data on it. It is a replacement phone that has not been connected to BBW or loaded with my data since it was replaced. I just added the necessary email addresses.

My 9900 is also receiving email over Wifi only, but it is connected to BBW and is set up with all of my user information. I am not paying for data for thus phone, either.

My zed is set up with data and is my primary communications device.

Posted via CB10
    Really weird things happening. On Legacy devices, BBM and Emails definitely require BIS data plan as both work through the BlackBerry BIS servers.
    However, the browser, BBW, WhatsApp and anything that doesn't route through the BIS server will work well.
    The following article clarifies.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:47 PM
    Really weird things happening. On Legacy devices, BBM and Emails definitely require BIS data plan as both work through the BlackBerry BIS servers.
    However, the browser, BBW, WhatsApp and anything that doesn't route through the BIS server will work well.
    The following article clarifies.

KB13368-Services that are available over a Wi-Fi connection

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a legacy BB that is not on any paid plan? That is real proof. I have a 9780 with no paid plan at all. It gets BBM and emails, so I can personally verify that WiFi only does work, internet, twitter and facebook too.
    07-08-13 02:41 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD