I normally hate these threads, and now I am starting one. Sorry, but I figure that since the PB is officially dead now, I will be giving my money to another company for their tablet.

I hate Android (it is a personal opinion) so I am looking at either a standard sized iPad or a standard sized full Windows 8 tablet (not RT). I just don't know which one yet. I love the idea of having a full operating system on a tablet, but Metro is horrible looking and not sure how well full programs will run on it. I know they sell tablets with in i5 core and 4GB ram and 128GB hard drive, but then I worry about the size (might as well get a laptop?).

iPad looks amazing and have a ton of apps, but the power isn't there.

Does anyone have thoughts on it? Specifically about any Windows 8 full OS tablets? I can do enough research on the iPad, but with so much variety of W8 tablets (like MS, Samsung, Dell, etc), I find it much harder to get a good comparison.

Also, has anyone tried Adobe Creative Suit on a W8 tablet? I know it isn't touch optimized, but is it decently functional and useful? Also calendar, mail, contacts, etc... is it clean and efficient?
    07-06-13 12:12 PM
    With Windows 8, you will always find yourself exiting the start menu to go back to the full desktop for that extra user-power. Windows 8's metro is far from complete, as you still cannot change certain things from Metro (need to go to control panel), but it's a very good tablet.
    07-06-13 12:21 PM
    or you could wait til the new BB10 PB comes out. which I'm certain will happen

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:22 PM
    I'd get the windows tablet but to be honest I think I prefer the combo of a small laptop and my Z10. I still use my PlayBook for music, games and movies...and videotaping family events, but for work and every day use I prefer my Z10 and laptop.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:26 PM
    I'll get an 8" Windows tablet once one is available that has a screen better then the Acer Iconia W3.
    07-06-13 12:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    You crazy.
    07-06-13 12:40 PM
    I wonder if you could do things like.... sideload apps to BB10 with a Windows tablet? I'd love to get a new tablet, but I don't want I pad at all, have an android and it's useless to me, I'd love to find something that would complement my z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 02:33 PM
    I personally love my nexus 7, but contemplating selling it and getting a chromebox since my laptop broke and I don't have a desktop

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 04:04 PM
    I normally hate these threads, and now I am starting one. Sorry, but I figure that since the PB is officially dead now, I will be giving my money to another company for their tablet.

I hate Android (it is a personal opinion) so I am looking at either a standard sized iPad or a standard sized full Windows 8 tablet (not RT). I just don't know which one yet. I love the idea of having a full operating system on a tablet, but Metro is horrible looking and not sure how well full programs will run on it. I know they sell tablets with in i5 core and 4GB ram and 128GB hard drive, but then I worry about the size (might as well get a laptop?).

iPad looks amazing and have a ton of apps, but the power isn't there.

Does anyone have thoughts on it? Specifically about any Windows 8 full OS tablets? I can do enough research on the iPad, but with so much variety of W8 tablets (like MS, Samsung, Dell, etc), I find it much harder to get a good comparison.

Also, has anyone tried Adobe Creative Suit on a W8 tablet? I know it isn't touch optimized, but is it decently functional and useful? Also calendar, mail, contacts, etc... is it clean and efficient?
    I provided a quick review of the Acer W3 in one thread or another on this topic. I returned it due to a defective sd card slot. It was interesting and it was an 8 inch Full Win8 tablet. I did load a few programs on it, Firefox, JetAudio and one or two others before discovering the defect. Since they did not have another 64 in house so I opted for a refund.

The issue I realized was probably most limiting was the size/scale of things. The Scrollbar and windows controls (close, minimize, etc) are pretty small. I did not get to tweak so I don't know if this can be modified. Similarly, fonts in things like Firefox were smallish and since it is not designed for a tablet (at least I did not look for a special version), it does not word-warp. I don't know if RT type apps do rescale since they are designed for a tablet but I was not interested in another tablet with limited apps!

Found my Acer W3 comments, Post #9

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...o-what-824219/
    07-06-13 05:04 PM
    I have both a Surface Pro as well as an iPad Mini. They both serve very different purposes, obviously.

I've been using the Surface as a replacement for my laptop for about three or four months now. I've run into no significant use cases that the switch has caused me to regret the change with the possible exception of the screen size.

I don't use Creative Suite but Acrobat Pro works fine and has some level of touch support that's inherent to the OS (not the app) and it works fine for things like reviewing, redaction, etcetera. I also use visio and project on a regular basis. No issues, performance is great.

Only knock is you have to manage storage. What I've done is bought a USB3 dock with support for HDMI, multiple usb ports for keyboard, mouse, a 750 Gig drive, and DVD. I dock at my desk and it works great.

The stylus adds to the productivity of course. I added a typecover and this setup works very well for me.

I generally take the Mini with me on short trips so I have a larger screen, ubiquitous internet access, and any apps that are specific to my work. Works pretty well for RDP access as well. It also doubles as an ereader and of course it's great for media consumption. I have an investment in the iTunes infrastructure, so the iPad makes sense for me. Your mileage may vary.

Another option that may be one of Lenovo's tablets. We sell a lot of Lenovo hardware and the Yoga has been pretty darned impressive. They also have a model with a dockable keyboard that looks pretty cool, but I don't recall the model name (sorry).

Hope that helps a little bit - if you've got any specific questions just let me know.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-06-13 05:19 PM
    BB 10 would have been great... Honesty I'm not that shocked that BlackBerry has dropped the Playbook, they see no $ in it and don't want to waste resources. Regardless of the LAME excuses we all will have to move on.
    I still will continue to use my playbook until it dies... And it's served me well.
    Options I'm exploring.
    Fingers are crossed that the next version of the Nexus 7 has an hdmi port and supports micro sd card. I like android and the cost of the nexus should be under $300 US.
    Samsung Galaxy tablet... Again the hdmi is the selling point, so far that doesn't look good.
    Generic android tablets are abundant, a gamble though but might be worth a shot.
    Ipad mini... WAY to over priced however the OS is very good, fast processor, and apps to infinity. The cost has this one at the bottom of my list.
    I'm hopeful that Nexus, Samsung, ASUS, etc. Release within the next 2-6 months a 7" tablet with an hdmi port, android 4.1 plus, and micro SD support. That will be my next purchase.
    BlackBerry blew a great opportunity with the Playbook... I honestly believe they never understood how good the product could have become if they developed the OS.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-06-13 09:12 PM
    Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards a Windows Tablet and will look at some of the different options. I never thought about the minimize/close buttons or scrolling, so I will keep that in mind. I know there are a few batches coming out this holiday and hopefully there will be some more updates to Windows 8 by then. For the price and the added ports/space/full OS, I think it will be the best bet.

As for a BlackBerry 10in tablet, that was what I was waiting for, but I just don't trust BlackBerry anymore. I took a chance with them and it bit me and so I will wait until (or if) they redeem themselves and their market share.
    07-07-13 12:02 AM
    Windows tablet is a more practical choice since it is automatically compatible with windows that is to say if you're a windows user.

I like the interface better than iPad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-07-13 12:07 AM
    windows RT OS eats up 16GB of the tablets hard drive space. so if you buy a 32GB model, you're only getting 16GB. woof.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:24 AM
    Get a MacBook Air if its in your price range.
    07-07-13 10:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes because they will sell a ton of them after the way they treated their last tablet victims!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:18 AM