I noticed the motorolla chargers have the same input for charging as the BB. I have a bunch of moto wall and car chargers so I don't need to buy a new one for BB. My question is will the moto charger do any kind of damage to the battery or the phone itself?
    10-14-08 11:23 AM
    It can if the amperage and output isn't the same as a BB charger. I have seen people screw up their battery using non-BB chargers.
    10-14-08 11:31 AM
    I noticed the motorolla chargers have the same input for charging as the BB. I have a bunch of moto wall and car chargers so I don't need to buy a new one for BB. My question is will the moto charger do any kind of damage to the battery or the phone itself?
    BE CAREFUL! You need to verify that the voltage/amperage range on both the charger and the BB are within the same limits.
    10-14-08 11:33 AM
    DO NOT USE A MOTOROLA CHARGER ON A BLACKBERRY. The charger looks the same but when you plug it in the device will say that its charging but in about 5-10 mins the blackberry will stop charging and if still connected it will overheat the Blackberry. This is coming from experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lahiru_Crazzy likes this.
    10-14-08 11:39 AM
    DO NOT USE A MOTOROLA CHARGER ON A BLACKBERRY. The charger looks the same but when you plug it in the device will say that its charging but in about 5-10 mins the blackberry will stop charging and if still connected it will overheat the Blackberry. This is coming from experience.

My wife did the same thing with her HTC Shadow. I had to explain that, just because it's a miniUSB doesn't mean that it will work on ALL phones. Most chargers (especially AC) have built-in protection to prevent damage. Some cheaper ones don't.
    10-14-08 11:42 AM
    i have a moto charger that works perfectlly, so it all depends but yeah check the v and amperage
    10-14-08 11:50 AM
    My Moto Razr charger works fine on my Curve. No overheating and it received a full charge. However, the BB wall charger will not charge my Razr.
    10-14-08 11:53 AM
    Moto Razr charger: 5v, 0.55a
    BB Curve charger: 5v, 0.7a
    you can use Moto charger on BB but not BB charger on Moto.
    10-14-08 12:01 PM
    I've used my moto charger on my bb for months and have never had a problem.

10-14-08 12:21 PM
    Motorola and BlackBerry USB chargers seem to be compatible with each other. I have thre Motorola chargers here and two BlackBerry ones. The BlackBerry chargers charge my two phones faster and the batteries seem to last longer.

Some (not all) generic USB chargers simpy do not charge BlackBerry phones.

I have never been sure just why the BlackBerry charger is best other than the fact that it was designed to do just this job.
    10-14-08 12:27 PM
    That explains why my phone gets so hot when I charge it at work and in my truck (moto chargers) but not at home (BB charger)

Guess I need to go buy a charger

10-14-08 12:31 PM
    I have found a number of genuine BlackBerry wall chargers on ebay. They are quite cheap and are without doubt the best way to charge your phone.
    10-14-08 12:57 PM
    I have used this with no problem on my 8330 Curve...didn't think there would be an issue and so far there hasn't been. I only use it when I'm running around all day and using my Curve heavily.
    10-14-08 03:37 PM
    yep, use a moto on my 8330 every night cuz i lost my bb one..guess i got lucky with the voltage or whatever, but my baby hass been fine
    10-14-08 04:12 PM
    I use my Moto wall charger on my BB all the time.. Never had a problem, it doesn't heat either.. I haven't tried the car charger yet..
    10-14-08 04:46 PM
    yea no problems.....

the BBs are pretty neat they can be trickle charged by the old usbs all, use motos , or use the RCA style usb charges.

Useing the USB charger on the Motos though...that is a problematic. We messed up display phone like that.
    10-14-08 04:54 PM
    I've used my moto charger on my bb for months and have never had a problem.

same here!
    10-14-08 05:55 PM
    We use Moto chargers on Berries all the time w/o them overheating and they always fully charge. Plus the vehicle chargers that we sell for BB and Motorola are the exact same charger in a different package
    10-14-08 06:22 PM
    Anybody know about using a sidekick lx charger on bb? My puppy ate THREE of my chargers and I refuse to buy another! Lol

10-15-08 05:56 AM
    So it looks like the general consensus is that Motorola charges, by and large, work well enough with Blackberrys. My experience agrees with this.

As to other chargers, we need more information. So post up people. The previous poster here needs info on a Sidekick charger - anybody have information?
    10-15-08 06:04 AM
    yep, use a moto on my 8330 every night cuz i lost my bb one..guess i got lucky with the voltage or whatever, but my baby hass been fine
    Same.

Car / Wall.. all my moto chargers have worked fine.
    10-15-08 07:10 AM
    Moto Razr charger: 5v, 0.55a
    BB Curve charger: 5v, 0.7a
    you can use Moto charger on BB but not BB charger on Moto.

I'm not an electrician, but are you saying you can use a lower amp charger (so moto on the BB) but cannot use a higher amp charger> Does the same hold for volts?
    11-16-08 09:18 PM
    can you use your labtop to charge one. I have done this trick in that past with my moto raz and it worked great but kind of scared to try it since I just got it friday and have not had a lot of time to mess with it
    11-17-08 12:12 AM
    Kinghtcap the amp's is not as inportent as the voltage. the phone and most equimpment will only use as much amp as they need, it don't matter if it needs 5 amps to charge and you give it 500 amp it will only use 5. but it is a must that the voltage it right. I think why some of those chagers that people are saying will not work and heats up the device is the fact that you are not giving it the right voltage or you are not giveing it enough ampage. to little ampage will make the voltage drop and that will heat equiment up. I hope this is helpfull
    11-17-08 12:21 AM
    Will using a moto charger on my bb in any way affect the batt?

11-17-08 12:28 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD