I can see all my DropBox content on the Z10, but when I attempt to pin any folder, I get this error: How do I resolve this?

DropBox Failed to Pin error-pin.png
    07-02-13 09:17 PM
    Working on getting you an answer
    07-24-13 06:55 PM
    maybe because you can't pin a cloud based system?
    07-24-13 06:56 PM
    Definitely can pin Dropbox through file manager. Even when it gives me the error, it still pins, and again gives me the error when I unpin.
    07-24-13 08:10 PM
    Can you see your Dropbox files off line?

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 09:07 PM
    Can you see your Dropbox files off line?

Posted via CB10
    Considering the potentially unlimited storage capacity, I don't see how that's remotely possible, you'd have to have everything stored locally. Kinda defeats the point of cloud storage.
    07-24-13 10:39 PM
    I use Dropbox all the time and SNYCRONIZE my local PC folder with my Dropbox folder. I can see ALL my files my pc AS WELL AS on Dropbox.

Does it not work the same way in the Blackberry???? I was hoping to see my content on my blackberry even when no signal is available. That's EXACTLY how Evernote premium works.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:59 PM
    My Dropbox is synced on my pc too. But the storage capacity is much greater. Evernote, you'll never have Gb of data on there. It's totally different. The whole point in cloud data, is to have mobile access, without carrying storage drives. If you need it with you always, use a 64Gb sd card, and sync it every change at home.
    07-25-13 07:09 PM
    I have 3 gb of data. I have as Sd card. Evernote can store files on my BlackBerry. Why can't Dropbox??!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 08:06 PM
    As your dad would say, "Because". LoL
    07-25-13 08:24 PM
    As your dad would say, "Because". LoL
    Well Dad also said there are two sides to every story.

The way you describe it, DropBox is simply a secure website. and that you need a signal to get to the site to see/manage your files via the DropBox or File Manager apps , and that without a signal you don't have off line access to your files - that its 100% cloud storage.

That's not what I am reading elsewhere.
    See :http://m.crackberry.com/using-dropbox-blackberry-10

Note the reference to:

-You can easily TRANSFER items back and forth
    - All your folders and files will be LOCALIZED on your Blackberry 10 device.

So I am simply trying to get all that to work.
    07-26-13 11:03 AM
    I suppose the verbiage could have been clearer. The files are easily transfered, and the access is localized, however as I keep repeating, it's cloud storage. The entire point is to only store the files in one place, and access it anywhere. Anywhere you have an Internet connection that is.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-26-13 11:25 AM
    I suppose the verbiage could have been clearer. The files are easily transfered, and the access is localized, however as I keep repeating, it's cloud storage. The entire point is to only store the files in one place, and access it anywhere. Anywhere you have an Internet connection that is. r]
    Why then does the DropBox app on the Z10 tell me "LASTEST SYNC: 17 MINUTES AGO". FILES WILL BE SYNCED AND UPLOADED IMMEDIATELY"

Sure sounds to me that something is being stored locally (device or card) and therefore I should be able to see them when off line.
    07-26-13 11:33 AM
    If you added something to Dropbox, from your pc, you would not see it on your Z, until you had a data connection (you can specify Wi-Fi only or via cellular too), you will not see it locally on the Z. Ya follow me? That's what sync is.
    07-26-13 11:52 AM
    If you added something to Dropbox, from your pc, you would not see it on your Z, until you had a data connection (you can specify Wi-Fi only or via cellular too), you will not see it locally on the Z. Ya follow me? That's what sync is.
    Suppose I added a two page PDF file last year. Its on the cloud and is synced everywhere. I see it on the web, on my pc, on my phone. Now I want to view it. I am on a flight , airplane mode on. All I have is my Z10. No signal. Do I or do I not have access to this file via the device/card)?
    07-26-13 11:59 AM
    Suppose I added a two page PDF file last year. Its on the cloud and is synced everywhere. I see it on the web, on my pc, on my phone. Now I want to view it. I am on a flight , airplane mode on. All I have is my Z10. No signal. Do I or do I not have access to this file via the device/card)?
    Not sure why you aren't understanding me. No, you will not be able to view anything in Dropbox without a signal, unless you saved it to your phone.
    07-26-13 12:09 PM
    I am not understanding cause I am used to the pc version where the cloud storage seamlessly syncs to your local PC. And if my web service is down I can still see my entire Dropbox library on my pc. Thought it would work the same way in the z10 especially with constant references to sync, transfer and local access

Quite disaspointing to learn it does not work that way at all. No offline access. So I cant even use it for emergency numbers as i may not have web access. Or for music when in the subway.

Evernote premium is much better in that regard re offline access.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:28 PM
    I am not understanding cause I am used to the pc version where the cloud storage seamlessly syncs to your local PC. And if my web service is down I can still see my entire Dropbox library on my pc. Thought it would work the same way in the z10 especially with constant references to sync, transfer and local access

Quite disaspointing to learn it does not work that way at all. No offline access. So I cant even use it for emergency numbers as i may not have web access. Or for music when in the subway.

Posted via CB10
    If you're accessing it offline, then it's storing the files on your phone. You can drag/drop your Dropbox folder on your phone too, but it defeats the concept of cloud storage for mobile use.

There's no magic trick being performed using Evernote.
    07-26-13 02:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Let me try to explain. All the Dropbox mobile apps, regardless of platform, sync the file list from your Dropbox folder, they do not sync the actual files themselves. On your PC, the actual files are synced because of the "unlimited" storage available on a PC, but on a mobile device, because of limited storage, data charges and bandwidth, only the references to the files are synced. In this way, you can always see what's in your Dropbox folder, whether offline or online, however you can only download/access when online.

Whenever you access a file saved on Dropbox, only then does it download the file to your device. You would still need to save it to your SD card or internal storage to have access offline.

Is that any clearer?
    BigBadWulf and 00stryder like this.
    07-26-13 02:16 PM
    Let me try to explain. All the Dropbox mobile apps, regardless of platform, sync the file list from your Dropbox folder, they do not sync the actual files themselves. On your PC, the actual files are synced because of the "unlimited" storage available on a PC, but on a mobile device, because of limited storage, data charges and bandwidth, only the references to the files are synced. In this way, you can always see what's in your Dropbox folder, whether offline or online, however you can only download/access when online.

Whenever you access a file saved on Dropbox, only then does it download the file to your device. You would still need to save it to your SD card or internal storage to have access offline.

Is that any clearer?
    Clearer, but hang in there.

When off line, I hear ya that I cannot download/access my cloud files. HOWEVER you did say I should be always see what's in the Dropbox folder ( ie the index of file) even when offline...BUT I CANNOT EVEN SEE THAT. In File Manager, all is see is "DropBox(Offiline) and its empty. So isn't something wrong there??????

As well you said "Whenever you access a file saved on Dropbox, only then does it download the file to your device'.. but I ve done that ( while online of course)..and cannot find any file on my device... Why?
    07-26-13 02:35 PM
    No, you can't see the contents of your Dropbox account when offline.

When you view something, it's received as a temp file. Only if you save it, would it then truly be stored on the phone.
    07-26-13 03:02 PM

When you view something, it's received as a temp file. Only if you save it, would it then truly be stored on the phone.
    You say above that :
    "No, you can't see the contents of your Dropbox account when offline. "
    but you said before that :
    "you can always see what's in your Dropbox folder, whether offline or online"

I am confused again.
    07-26-13 03:14 PM
    Not sure why you aren't understanding me. No, you will not be able to view anything in Dropbox without a signal, unless you saved it to your phone.

I think I've been pretty consistent.
    07-26-13 11:37 PM
    You can download your entire Dropbox on BB10 - it's the Pin Dropbox feature. You can't auto-sync though as far as I know and I really hope this feature is coming soon. I also would love it if you could set it so that camera photos are saved onto the Dropbox drive.

BTW, I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement about "defeated point of cloud storage". I want my Dropbox on my phone like it is on my laptop and desktop, updated everytime I change a file anywhere, so that I can work on all my devices seamlessly. Downloading and uploading every time I make changes to my files defeats the point of Dropbox. Cloud storage has existed for a long time e.g. FTP but the main point of Dropbox is not just cloud storage, but it's the seamless synchronization that makes file access truly convenient.
    08-04-13 01:01 PM
    BTW I tried to Pin my whole Dropbox (10 GB) and it filled my Z10 ... Waiting for BlackBerry Help... see http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ropbox-770054/ for details
    08-04-13 01:03 PM
36 12