I just changed my plan with AT&T so I can use the mobile hotspot on my Q10 and it seems to work pretty well in my brief test, good speed and strong signal. Those of you that have used it more regularly, does the phone get hot after a bit? I imagine it will zap the battery if it's not connected to power, but trying to find out if the Q10 would be usable normally (phone/messaging) while the hotspot is in use...or if I'd be better off adding a dedicated mobile hotspot to my plan.
    07-02-13 10:57 AM
    I used it yesterday. It was on for about 2 hours. It went off once (after a half hour per my customized setting) and I turned it back on almost immediately. I would say that I transferred data, at least 21,000kb in one email with attachments and then a lot of back and forth emails and safari browsing. Phone did not heat up. It's heated up quicker and warmer during a normal txt convo a few times previous. Did not do that with HS on. Also, It was damn fast on the LTE in NYC. Like, really pleasing on my iPad. I also did not notice and extreme sucking of battery life, like my iPhone would when I'd have location on and maps running. I actually used maps on bb to go into the city yesterday for about 35 minutes and I only lost 2% battery.

My battery life has been extremely efficient. I don't kill it every night and it still runs great. Sunday night I charged it overnight at 12am at 55% battery and when I took it off at 7am yesterday, It lasted to 10pm when I went to bed--was at 55% (after all of the above, too!)
    07-02-13 12:05 PM
    Thanks for the input, I've enjoyed really good battery life as well (usually have 40%+ left when I put it on the charger each night) so this is encouraging. So just to be certain, when devices are connected to the Q10 in hotspot mode, the Q10's function and connectivity is in no way limited correct?
    07-02-13 12:40 PM
    Thanks for the input, I've enjoyed really good battery life as well (usually have 40%+ left when I put it on the charger each night) so this is encouraging. So just to be certain, when devices are connected to the Q10 in hotspot mode, the Q10's function and connectivity is in no way limited correct?
    Nope

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 12:44 PM
    I just changed my plan with AT&T so I can use the mobile hotspot on my Q10 and it seems to work pretty well in my brief test, good speed and strong signal. Those of you that have used it more regularly, does the phone get hot after a bit? I imagine it will zap the battery if it's not connected to power, but trying to find out if the Q10 would be usable normally (phone/messaging) while the hotspot is in use...or if I'd be better off adding a dedicated mobile hotspot to my plan.
    I've never used the hotspot feature though I had it free on an early 7.1 upgrade from another carrier. AT&T was charging for it then and I would believe that they still are--is that correct? Thanks!
    07-02-13 02:45 PM
    I've never used the hotspot feature though I had it free on an early 7.1 upgrade from another carrier. AT&T was charging for it then and I would believe that they still are--is that correct? Thanks!
    They don't charge specifically for the hotspot feature in their current plans...you must have one of the newer mobile share plans or data connect plans to be able to use mobile hotspot. If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you can't use hotspot. I finally dumped my unlimited plan and went with a mobile share plan after calculating that I hadn't used more then 900mb in any one month over the last 2 years.
    go1ndr likes this.
    07-02-13 02:53 PM
    correct.
    07-02-13 03:02 PM
    They don't charge specifically for the hotspot feature in their current plans...you must have one of the newer mobile share plans or data connect plans to be able to use mobile hotspot. If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you can't use hotspot. I finally dumped my unlimited plan and went with a mobile share plan after calculating that I hadn't used more then 900mb in any one month over the last 2 years.
    Thanks! Bummer--we do have the unlimited data plan as we use our phones for business and usually go over the what the alloted amount would be for a share or data connect plans. We've had it so long that it would really cost us to move to another plan so I guess no HotSpot but honestly I'm never really in an area that I need it and if I am, now that I have the BBQ10, I really don't need it. Thanks for getting back to me/us so quickly!
    07-02-13 03:28 PM
    You can add 4G hotspot to a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I have Verizon and the above plan and added the 4G hotspot feature for $30/month.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 04:44 PM
    So just to be certain, when devices are connected to the Q10 in hotspot mode, the Q10's function and connectivity is in no way limited correct?
    Actually, I have encountered one obscure limitation when in hotspot mode on my Q10 (Verizon). When hotspot is enabled, you cannot stream audio over bluetooth. In my scenario, I would be trying to stream to my car stereo while hotspot is enabled. A message pops up saying hotspot will be disabled while streaming, and asks if I want to continue. A very minor inconvenience really...no big deal.

Regarding your original question, my Q10 will get pretty warm when actively using hotspot while the phone is in the holster. If I take the phone out of the holster, the temperature backs down a bit (as you would expect). I suspect the phone would still get pretty warm - even out of the holster - if I was using serious hotspot bandwidth.

I have to say, at least with Verizon, I find the hotspot speed to be a little slower than I'd like. I haven't performed any true tests, but the lag is certainly noticeable when using my iPad over hotspot to surf the web. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but just not as fast as I expect. I've always had this complaint when using hotspot on any Verizon phone; I get the feeling they throttle back the hotspot speed somehow. Their dedicated "MyFi" type devices seem to perform much faster for me.
    netwerx1 likes this.
    07-03-13 05:30 PM