I know how much money they have and how much money they could have if they sold everything they owned but is that how much a company is worth? Sure BBRY stock is down $10.20 but I feel like that is only a reflection of their smartphone stuff. How much is TAT and QNX actually worth? A system that is used to run nuclear facilities, space stuff and tons of car operating systems is worth $10.20 a share? I feel like if QNX was stand alone it would have a higher stock value than with Blackberry.

Does QNX make the company any money aside from being the foundation for BB10?
    07-01-13 08:54 AM
    I know how much money they have and how much money they could have if they sold everything they owned but is that how much a company is worth? Sure BBRY stock is down $10.20 but I feel like that is only a reflection of their smartphone stuff. How much is TAT and QNX actually worth? A system that is used to run nuclear facilities, space stuff and tons of car operating systems is worth $10.20 a share? I feel like if QNX was stand alone it would have a higher stock value than with Blackberry.

Does QNX make the company any money aside from being the foundation for BB10?
    Those are not being valued and they shouldn't be. Blackberry's main business is smartphone.
    07-01-13 09:21 AM
    RIM only paid $200M for QNX a couple of years ago.

I sure that it's being used in nuclear facilities, and space stuff along with tons of car operating systems sounds cool. But many of these "systems" are based on QNX code, but the finial OS is not always written by QNX so they might only get a small licenses fee that was negotiated even before RIM purchased them. And TAT isn't even TAT anymore, most of the talent is gone so BBRY couldn't sell them for much if they wanted.

Last I heard BBRY was worth around $9 a share based on patients and physical assets along with the perceived value of their NCO and Mobile Management software. But that was back almost a year ago, assets have been sold since then, their NCO user bases has shrunk and the MDM arena is FULL of different competitors. The value of BBRY software assets is very questionable at this point.
    07-01-13 10:35 AM
    BB is worth around 18$ per share . That's their book value. Their tangible book value ( cash , property, plants , investments, accounts recievable, etc.) is around 11.5 $. That means that if they shut BB down right now the shareholders would get between 15-20$ /share.
    07-01-13 12:49 PM
    hmm 20$ .. how much many have u lost so far
    08-01-13 12:24 PM
    I conservatively value it at $6 minus about 30% for the cost of a break up or liquidation. Please note that number will be reduced as the cash gets depleted tremendously in the next quarter.
    08-01-13 01:18 PM
    I conservatively value it at $6 minus about 30% for the cost of a break up or liquidation. Please note that number will be reduced as the cash gets depleted tremendously in the next quarter.
    Lol and how exactly do you come at these numbers? Very curious?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 02:21 PM
    A fine question.

You value it at cash only, minus breakup costs?

Suppose the 2.5 Billion in property, plants and equipment will be given away as gifts? Just leave them on the side of the road with a 'free' sign?

Haha. The patents should probably be considered as gifts as well..
    08-01-13 02:52 PM
    Please keep in mind that yyzberry has stated she/he is holding a short position on the stock and intends on holding it until the SP reaches $5.

Edit: and that I am long BB.TO.
    08-01-13 02:54 PM
    Lmao yeah I mean I am no genius here but I am pretty sure that the property and buildings that they own have probley doubled in the last 10 years!! And this isn't even a reflection at all in the financials. Every billion counts right?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 03:08 PM
    BBM alone will be worth a few billion when it goes cross platform.
    08-03-13 03:54 PM
    BBM alone will be worth a few billion when it goes cross platform.
    Any sources for this claim?
    Will this be through advertising revenue?
    08-03-13 04:22 PM
    On January 14, 2009, Nortel filed Ch#11 bankruptcy with market cap of $191.8 Mil ($0.385 x 498.2 Mil shares). It had debt of over $4.9 Bil.
    After liquidation, the final proceeds were $7.8 Bil. :
    Nortel wrapping up bankruptcy process - Technology - Ottawa Business Journal

Don't assume the market is always rational when pricing a stock. I am not a speculator but be forewarned you might be in for trouble on your short for being too greedy. And walk around with a haircut, burnt off eyebrows, and poorer. $ 1 downside but $3 or $4 upside. Do you calculate the risk/reward?

Last edited by the_sleuth; 08-03-13 at 05:28 PM.
    08-03-13 04:55 PM
    Coincidentally, the Nortel patents were purchased for $4.5B by a consortium after an aggressive auction. Blackberry's share being $770M which it carries on its books as an asset. Nobody knows the value of these patents because it depends on how aggressively they can be defended. Several years ago was the peak of their value but now the Obama administration seems to be trying to work on fixing some of the abuses.
    08-03-13 05:17 PM
    Any sources for this claim?
    Will this be through advertising revenue?
    Here you go:
    http://m.crackberry.com/what-s-value...-s-bbm-network

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-04-13 01:22 AM
    Here you go:
    What

so someone else`s musings and not statistical facts?

something to add into the mix, whatsapp was apparently being looked at by google a few months ago, they had apx 250m users and were valued at apx $1bn at a push, as BBM has closer to a fifth of that, id hold fire on suddenly saying its worth more.
    08-04-13 01:33 AM
    so someone else`s musings and not statistical facts?

something to add into the mix, whatsapp was apparently being looked at by google a few months ago, they had apx 250m users and were valued at apx $1bn at a push, as BBM has closer to a fifth of that, id hold fire on suddenly saying its worth more.
    I think that Whatsapp is currently worth more than that especially to Yahoo.
    For BBM it all depends how many users they can attract. Time will tell.

08-04-13 03:16 AM