Short squeezes often end with a bang. That happened Friday when BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) shares fell by a whopping 28%. At this point, the notion that BB10 will rejuvenate the Canadian handset maker seems far-fetched at best. The fall in BlackBerry shares was prompted by the company�s terrible quarter. Analysts had expected BlackBerry to report a modest profit -- instead, the company reported a loss of roughly $170 million.

Older BlackBerry handsets actually outsold newer phones running BB10 -- of which the company shipped only 2.72 million. Things were even worse for its tablet, the PlayBook, which isn't going to get BB10, and thus will likely be discontinued. I'm holding on to some hope for a Playbook update soon!!!
    07-01-13 08:23 AM
    "So you thought i was dead huh??

Acting!!"

- BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and bsiegle like this.
    07-01-13 08:27 AM
    what sort of image are they sending about bb10 by announcing plans for a new os7 device? it's like Microsoft releasing windows 7.5
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-01-13 08:28 AM
    If you go with the UP's and Down's a stock, people would've been jumping off a building when this was released.

Apple stock falls below $400 for first time since 2011 - SlashGear

As it says, that's a 42% drop from it's high in September and that's after the iPhone 5 was released.
    07-01-13 08:32 AM
    Stepping backwards by selling another OS 7 device is indeed a disaster. Discontinuing the playbook line is one thing but you are casting a vote of no confidence in your own new OS by saying you are continuing to develop new devices for it.

Mark my words here, the investing community will see that in bold letters and in italics in their mind and bbry shares will suffer accordingly.
    cdelcampo216 and edu3110 like this.
    07-01-13 08:33 AM
    The problem is that BB10 can apparently not be offered on the lower end devices. Does BB abandon this segment, along with most of its revenues, or continue to support it?
    07-01-13 10:48 AM
    The problem is that BB10 can apparently not be offered on the lower end devices. Does BB abandon this segment, along with most of its revenues, or continue to support it?
    Thats it in a nutshell, bb10 needs a dual core processor and lots of ram.... Evidently 2 gigs or it wont run acceptably. From what im hearing that is what doomed the playbook.
    07-01-13 07:46 PM
    Stepping backwards by selling another OS 7 device is indeed a disaster. Discontinuing the playbook line is one thing but you are casting a vote of no confidence in your own new OS by saying you are continuing to develop new devices for it.

Mark my words here, the investing community will see that in bold letters and in italics in their mind and bbry shares will suffer accordingly.
    Would a new phone with full Bridge support be so bad ? sure its running old software but this is not such a bad idea. they could still sell a bbos device at a lower price point than the R5/Q5
    07-01-13 08:11 PM
    Held on till now.. yes my PB still works great.. but never again BB... too bad.. I really like your stuff..but being lied to, ends it for me...
    nofiz and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    07-01-13 08:16 PM
    Would a new phone with full Bridge support be so bad ? sure its running old software but this is not such a bad idea. they could still sell a bbos device at a lower price point than the R5/Q5
    Are these New-old bbos7 devices going to have bis?
    07-01-13 09:26 PM
    The game was called and Blackberry disqualified....because BB10 did not finish....
    07-01-13 11:24 PM
    I have two playbooks based on them getting the BB10 operating system. Is there also an issue with Z10's tethering to the playbooks. I had a 9780 which synced to the playbook. My contract is up and would have liked a z10. I got a galaxy s3, my confidence is dropping with BB. Lets see if they can carry thru on the BBM to other devices (apple and droid). I have my doubts. They got a new CEO who made some promises that haven't happened. Now I have two playbooks which would have more more life in them if they ran BB10. Without BB10 they won't last very much longer, no matter what bandaid solution that they come up with. BB has burned me, so I want some satisfaction or compensation. BB made the promises. Is it like a CFL coach, fire him and get another coach who can't do the job. Blackberry has built a wall around themselves and there is no user friendly why to contact them to get any answers on what is happening with the company. You have to wait until they make a public release thru the media. That is not the way to win customers. This is a big problem with Blackberry. Can you even send an email to have a company employee at BB and have them reply with an answer.
    07-01-13 11:32 PM