All credit goes to sbndrf

It might be limited to Germany,
    but it is always worth trying in other countries, at least in the EU.

Hey guys,

after killing off the PlayBook on Friday I tried to make the best out of the situation just as everybody else here in the forums. Here is how the German law on warranty enabled me to return my PlayBook for a full refund of the price I paid for it after I used it for almost 14 months. I also want to acknowledge Amazon(.de)'s goodwill that always makes things quite easy. Experiences with different shops might be different. Nonetheless, here's the legal background:

Back in May 2012 when I bought the PlayBook on Amazon.de, then RIM had already publicly confirmed that BB10 will come to the PlayBook after its release. Thankfully the German warranty law also requires public advertisements made by the vendor to be truthful. Otherwise your product is defective ("Sachmangel" � 434 Abs. 1 Satz 3 BGB). If features are not as promised during the 2-year period of warranty, you can demand supplementary performance ("Nacherf�llung"). As BBRY made clear that they won't deliver, you do not need to set a deadline to do so (�� 440, 281 Abs. 2 BGB). Thus you ultimately have the right to rescind the purchase contract made with your dealer (� 437 Nr. 2 BGB).

As the legal situation is pretty clear thanks to RIM having a big mouth by that time, I filed a complaint with Amazon.de this afternoon. Although it is Sunday today, they replied within half an hour. The answer was pretty standard: They won't repair this product (how could they), therefore they will refund the price I paid for it. A link to the RMA stuff, a note that I have to include the original accessories and that was it.

F**k you BlackBerry, however, your incompetence did me favor for once. I actually feel a bit sorry for Amazon being the one that has the hassle. Maybe I should get a Kindle Fire HD in return.

Maybe my explanations help others to get their money back.
    Last edited by msps; 06-30-13 at 06:47 PM.
    chaosdivine and sexybabe88 like this.
    06-30-13 06:33 PM
    That's awesome! I hope this comes through for you and your countrymen.

Maybe those in Germany would be willing to donate a dollar or two to help all us other PlayBookers in the world who are not so fortunate? We've started a crowd sourcing endeavor by QuackQuack147 (he's in India) over in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post8738640 Anyhow, if not, no worries...we're halfway to our target goal of $125.

Update: We ended up with $148 thanks to generous donors of our community! Already bought one defective unit too...one down one to go. Waiting on shipping now (6'ish days).
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 07-01-13 at 06:50 PM.
    Fucifera likes this.
    06-30-13 06:43 PM
    I asked that that thread be re-opened as it is different than the BB10 is Dead threads. It can definitely provide a remedy for those who believe that they were deceived or cheated.

Oh, looks like it was reopened.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...months-823959/
    Lendo likes this.
    06-30-13 08:55 PM
    Congrats, glad at least you are benefitted by this. Shame on blackberry.
    06-30-13 09:00 PM
    lucky you. technically every pb owner in your country can do it too because of the skype ads.
    07-01-13 12:27 AM
    Wish I lived in Germany, and yes I feel cheated.

Main factor in buying the PlayBook(s) I purchased was the promise they'd get the BB10 OS update.
    (Important as developers are writing apps for BB10 , PB OS v2.xxx is a DEAD OS at this point bigtime.)

They (RIM/BlackBerry) lied about BB10 to clear warehouses out of DEAD stock. Now that stock has been reduced they come out saying "Ain't happening, No BB10 update for PlayBook owners.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-01-13 at 11:19 PM.
    07-01-13 02:24 AM
    Why did they close this thread before? Seems you can't expect any support as PB owner from CB team... they're too loyal in such things... leaves a bad taste!
    07-01-13 03:06 AM
    The distances people travel....
    07-01-13 03:33 AM
    Well sounds to me like a successful automated RMA response experience.

You sent in your problem. The server picked up the word 'Playbook', the flow then as the Playbook is defunct product (not worth any further bother) to automatically offer a refund and send the returned Playbook to landfill.

The bit about manufacturers not delivering on PR speeches probably didn't even register anywhere.
    07-01-13 08:32 AM
    That's awesome! I hope this comes through for you and your countrymen.

Maybe those in Germany would be willing to donate a dollar or two to help all us other PlayBookers in the world who are not so fortunate? We've started a crowd sourcing endeavor by QuackQuack147 (he's in India) over in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post8738640 Anyhow, if not, no worries...we're halfway to our target goal of $125.

Update: We ended up with $148 thanks to generous donors of our community! Already bought one defective unit too...one down one to go. Waiting on shipping now (6'ish days).
    can the donors name be gold plated and posted. it would never be possible without that tiny little donation. i heartily thank those who donated. and the forum should thank them more. if they had not donated. it would be impossible. and include your name too. :-D
    a new post with name of the donors will be the best thanks giving. thanks!
    and yes apart from cracking the bootloader? i also started my work on coreboot.
    So you guys will have a new open source bootloader and bootrom like u-boot or something followed by a real sleek and ultra fast bootloader and bootrom called coreboot!
    i have started to work and fastened my seat belt. OMAP4430_ES2.x_PUBLIC_TRM_vAE.pdf & OMAP4470_ES1.0_PUBLIC_TRM_vE.pdf nearly 11,000 pages of documentation courtesy TI. ;-)
    thanks chaosdivine and also those donors who made it possible. :-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-02-13 08:10 AM
    I agree. I'll work on that.

can the donors name be gold plated and posted. it would never be possible without that tiny little donation. i heartily thank those who donated. and the forum should thank them more. if they had not donated. it would be impossible. and include your name too. :-D
    a new post with name of the donors will be the best thanks giving. thanks!
    and yes apart from cracking the bootloader? i also started my work on coreboot.
    So you guys will have a new open source bootloader and bootrom like u-boot or something followed by a real sleek and ultra fast bootloader and bootrom called coreboot!
    i have started to work and fastened my seat belt. OMAP4430_ES2.x_PUBLIC_TRM_vAE.pdf & OMAP4470_ES1.0_PUBLIC_TRM_vE.pdf nearly 11,000 pages of documentation courtesy TI. ;-)
    thanks chaosdivine and also those donors who made it possible. :-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-03-13 09:22 PM
    Why not this party in the USA?
    07-03-13 11:08 PM
    In Quebec, Canada, there is a Consumer Protection Law called, "Loi sur la protection du consommateur", article 219 of that law is about misrepresentation and could be use to request a refund from the store where you bought the playbook. As long as you bought it after the 1st Mai 2012 Press Release. But the only person that can force them to pay is a judge.
    07-06-13 10:51 AM