I would like to think of my self as a loyal Blackberry user. A little introduction about me follows.

- I live in Dubai (UAE) which is still a good market for Blackberry. I bought the Bold 9000 in some part of 2008. I loved the device and was very satisfied. I also carried an iphone 3g at the time and Ive always had two phones since then. This was my 1st blackberry and I was one of the early adopters as Blackberry was just about to explode on to the scene here back then.
    - I then went through 2 different Bold devices which I didnt like as much and the original Torch which was a mixed bag for me.
    - Around 20 months ago I bought the Bold 9900 and till date that has been the phone Im most satisfied with. I still sometimes use it.
    - Bought the Z10 on the day of launch here in Dubai (5months a go). Again its a mixed bag for me. However mostly positive.

(I currently also carry a Note2 from Samsung)

I have since 2008 always had a blackberry with me and in the last year building up to BB10 I was really exited about a great come back with products I would love. I did advocate BB10 to many of my friends (as I successfully did with my 1st bold 9000) but this time my success was very limited. I personally like many things about the Z10 and dislike a few. But the problem I have here is not the product but the execution by BBRY and a very big question mark about the direction they are headed in.

1- Multiple delays in BB10 launch.
    2- Even further delays in the US market (doesnt affect me personally as Dubai was one of the 1st markets to get BB10 but it affects my perception of the company)
    3- Playbook fiasco - I understand that they want to focus their resources but not living up to their commitments doesnt say much about their focus anyway.
    4- Price points - Here in Dubai the Q10 launched at AED2,699 ($740 approx) and is higher than the price of ALL other flagships. Is this how they plan on getting back lost customers?
    5- The 10.1 update chaos in US ( again Dubai got it 5 minutes after it was announced at BBRY Live but how can they always mess up in US)
    6- BBM is going cross platform - I wrote a entire post about how this could be the next great social network but to rethink what this says about Blackberrys strategic direction towards hardware, it looks scary.
    7- Their marketing is pathetic. Their adds are not compelling, their visibility is very poor, and I dont see any special incentives coming from BBRY itself. It seems like they could have done much better with BB10 launch with a different CMO OR a better allocation of resources towards marketing.
    8- Not hitting all price points - Their cheapest BB10 device, Q5 is AED1500 ($410 approx). This way, they could lose all the Curve lovers out there.

These are not just rants but lead to a serious dilema. Should I, as a tech lover and an early adopter put my support behind a company that I have all these doubts about. Should I just support a company because I have done it so far. Should I ignore the negatives and focus on the positives (the products: BB10, Z10, Q10) After yesterdays Quarterly results, these questions have just become louder.

I think Im going to give BBRY until the end of the year to get their act together. Although they have had enough time to do so and I dont see any major change in approach on the horizon, I certainly hope things get better. If they cannot sort out the way the company has been doing things, I would probably jump the ship. And I hope for the best!
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-29-13 01:01 PM
    There is only one question to answer when determining which platform your wish to support...

"Which product/service best suits my needs?"

Loyalty be damned. Use the product suitable to your purposes.
    06-29-13 01:05 PM
    There is only one question to answer when determining which platform your wish to support...

"Which product/service best suits my needs?"

Loyalty be damned. Use the product suitable to your purposes.
    I guess you are right. But for some reason its like sports to me. Most people support a team they are loyal towards. They wont just support the team that performs well. Only once the team they support are out of the game will they then look at their options and then maybe support another team.
    j21jam6 and Rezia like this.
    06-29-13 01:15 PM
    I agree, I'm totally disappointed about what happened yesterday. I also started using BlackBerry in 2008 with the 9000. It broke several times and as I was on special service, I always got a new device from my provider. Now I am using the 9900 and I'm not really satisfied, I have to admit. As there was a chance to get BB10 on PlayBook, I thought it would be a good idea to buy one. I don't know what to say now. I don't know what to think. But I think I have to agree with my girlfriend, to look after auf new mobile solution... Maybe Windows Phone?
    06-29-13 01:15 PM
    I agree, I'm totally disappointed about what happened yesterday. I also started using BlackBerry in 2008 with the 9000. It broke several times and as I was on special service, I always got a new device from my provider. Now I am using the 9900 and I'm not really satisfied, I have to admit. As there was a chance to get BB10 on PlayBook, I thought it would be a good idea to buy one. I don't know what to say now. I don't know what to think. But I think I have to agree with my girlfriend, to look after auf new mobile solution... Maybe Windows Phone?
    Haha I already had a go at Window phone 8 with a Lumia 920 (while I still also used Bold 9900). I had big expectations going in but the the device just didnt live upto them. I'am more satisfied with the BB10 app eco system than I was with WP8. Side loading has certainly helped. However IF Nokia were to make the hardware for BB10 I would definitely buy it even if just as an experiment.
    06-29-13 01:21 PM
    I too am disappointed with what happened yesterday. That being said I will not jump on the negative bandwagon. My Z10 does all I want it to do. I still use my playbook daily and continues to work without issue.
    The US media and cell phone carriers would love for 72 million blackberry users to bash blackberry and move to another platform. I'm seeing a lot of bashing on Crackberry which I find more disappointing than the earnings call.

Posted on CB using my Playbook.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-29-13 01:33 PM
    I guess you are right. But for some reason its like sports to me. Most people support a team they are loyal towards. They wont just support the team that performs well. Only once the team they support are out of the game will they then look at their options and then maybe support another team.
    Sports teams are different. Each year the teams get a "reset" and have to start over. Even when they lose it can be enjoyable. And the entertainment nature of watching sports has no real impact on your own personal needs to get things done. Loyalty to a sports team is pure entertainment (though quite often the fans don't see it that way) no matter how you cut it.

Don't confuse entertainment with productivity.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    monil11 likes this.
    06-29-13 01:40 PM
    Sports teams are different. Each year the teams get a "reset" and have to start over. Even when they lose it can be enjoyable. And the entertainment nature of watching sports has no real impact on your own personal needs to get things done. Loyalty to a sports team is pure entertainment (though quite often the fans don't see it that way) no matter how you cut it.

Don't confuse entertainment with productivity.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    I think all phones are more or less equally productive at this point and even if they arent productive to start with, the apps and 3rd party accessories make them productive. To show a company's superiority we measure mostly negligible differences. I know you are trying to say that we should be looking at phones in a neutral way. I dont always NEED to associate myself with a phone company. I guess it just happened with BBRY.
    06-29-13 04:36 PM
    While I understand the review was bothersome why do these outside factors affect you?

You got the phone first, update first and are in one of two countries that has the Q5 available to them. If anything you should be happy that BlackBerry has given the UAE so much attention.

Things like marketing, and US carriers don't affect you and are not even in BlackBerry control. If you like the device then go with it.. if not then that's the reason you should move on

Posted via CB10
    monil11 likes this.
    06-29-13 05:48 PM
    While I understand the review was bothersome why do these outside factors affect you?

You got the phone first, update first and are in one of two countries that has the Q5 available to them. If anything you should be happy that BlackBerry has given the UAE so much attention.

Things like marketing, and US carriers don't affect you and are not even in BlackBerry control. If you like the device then go with it.. if not then that's the reason you should move on

Posted via CB10
    Appreciate what you have to say and agree with most of it. However marketing IS in their control. Hope they do a much better job at it. Personally, yes I understand that no phone is perfect and I like most things about my Z10
    06-29-13 06:19 PM
    Also I would like to add another thing to my list of disappointments.

Dubai ( and all of UAE) does not have BBM Voice or BBM Video. I completely understand this as the telecom regulators here are not in favour or free voip calls and the biggest telecom company is a government company. But when BB10 was about to roll out here, there were several articles here which said BBRY was working with telecom operators here to bring BBM Voice and Video and an agreement will be reached soon. Another statement by BB itself said that operators were now testing the features and would deploy soon. This did not influence me, as I would buy the phone regardless. But it did influence a lot of people who bought the Z10 hoping that BBM voice and video would soon follow. 5 months later, I think this was a cheap move by BB in hinting and indicating that something would surely happen soon where as I strongly know and believe that any such thing is not true. This deceit is similar to 'hey buy the PB and ull get BB10 in 2013'. So yea they need to stop using cheap tricks, be upfront and most of all HONEST.
    06-29-13 06:28 PM
    Nice post OP, you have valid concerns and are on point!
    06-29-13 06:40 PM
    Seems a little melodramatic and not like much of a dilemma. It's not like you're asking whether you should be supporting a company that uses Foxcon labor or also runs factory farms. It sounds like you're mostly happy with BlackBerry 10, so you should stick with it without question. Do you think the other companies are without scruples? Google isn't "evil"? As for the videocalling, etc. it probably wasn't Blackberry's fault. More likely the fault of an oppressive/repressive and otherwise corrupt government.

(Extra note: the American companies' cooperation with America's corrupt government is their fault, because in America people have the legal right, on paper, to resist tyranny; they simply rather choose to go along with it for personal gain and thus are a huge part of the problem.)
    06-29-13 06:42 PM
    I too am disappointed with what happened yesterday. That being said I will not jump on the negative bandwagon. My Z10 does all I want it to do. I still use my playbook daily and continues to work without issue.
    The US media and cell phone carriers would love for 72 million blackberry users to bash blackberry and move to another platform. I'm seeing a lot of bashing on Crackberry which I find more disappointing than the earnings call.

Posted on CB using my Playbook.
    Why would the U. S. media or cell phone carriers care? People choose what they want, like you have, and the majority do not choose blackberry. It's simple.
    06-29-13 06:52 PM
    Why would the U. S. media or cell phone carriers care?
    Higher margins or kickbacks from the other companies maybe? Perhaps even substantial stock holdings in the other companies, interlocking boards of directors, etc? Don't be so naive.
    06-29-13 06:56 PM
    Higher margins or kickbacks from the other companies maybe? Perhaps even substantial stock holdings in the other companies, interlocking boards of directors, etc? Don't be so naive.
    The excuses have to stop. It's everyone's fault except BlackBerry. Bb10 is better than iOs and Android but people are stupid. Tools not toys. Blah, blah, blah. Don't be so naive.
    06-29-13 07:01 PM
    I still don't care about the stock price. BlackBerry is here to stay. Many people mistakenly bought overpriced, shoddily constructed houses just as many people mistakenly buy inferior apple and android devices. What's so great about google spydroid and its data mining business model? Please note, I'm not asking what's so great for the stockholding investment bankster, I'm asking what's so great for the end user. (The same old anticipated "apps" answer has to stop when most apps are simply garbage.)
    06-29-13 07:07 PM
    Let's stick together!
    06-29-13 07:11 PM
    I still don't care about the stock price. BlackBerry is here to stay. Many people mistakenly bought overpriced, shoddily constructed houses just as many people mistakenly buy inferior apple and android devices. What's so great about google spydroid and its data mining business model? Please note, I'm not asking what's so great for the stockholding investment bankster, I'm asking what's so great for the end user. (The same old anticipated "apps" answer has to stop when most apps are simply garbage.)
    Dude you don't understand those garbage apps you're saying is what is killing BB10 and BlackBerry right now. All those apps are going to Android, IOS and WP but not BB10
    06-29-13 07:18 PM
    Look, it doesn't matter to me what platform you choose. If blackberry works for you that's great. But your comments about Android are a joke. Do you know what their market share is? That includes business people running companies. Not all apps are garbage, some are used to be efficient, productive, and "get things done". Be realistic.
    06-29-13 07:19 PM