No, this is not one of these topics where people used to say that BB10 IS COMING TO THE PLAYBOOK, i'm not saying that a Tablet OS 3.0 is being developed.

I'm really angry at BBRY for lying to us ( yes, they lied to us, all BBRY fanboys have to accept it ), and i will NEVER buy a BBRY product again, but for now, i'll stick with my Bold 9700 and Playbook combo, they are okay for what i need for now, and they said that they are still supporting the Playbook, so we can expect a new update.

I think they should really update it quickly, most of the people that are holding a Playbook right now are the core base of their customers, and they are starting to lose them right now, they should make a smart move, and make a huge update for the Playbook, where they update the browser, android runtime, and so on ... People won't forget about this lie if they don't give us something.

My next tablet/smartphone combo ? DEFINETELY NOT BlackBerry, probably Sony or Apple, i like their actual products, and the future products will definetely be awesome, and at least, they are supporting and updating ALL THEIR PRODUCT.

Speaking of Apple and updating, ... if Apple can put iOS 7 on an Iphone 4 ( 512 RAM ), putting BB10 on the Playbook shouldn't be a problem, go fire your engineers !

Edit : Forgot about the pricing BBRY are setting; it's just too much, a Q10 or a Z10 are just too expensive, i live in France, and a Q10 is as expensive as an Iphone 5, guess what product people are going to choose ? other product like the Xperia Z are a 150Euros less expensive ....
    Last edited by ghaliidrissi; 06-28-13 at 06:54 PM.
    06-28-13 06:35 PM
    Here here good person. I have the BB keyboard so ill keep mine too. It'll at least be a collectors item before long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-28-13 06:40 PM
    I agree with the fact that they need better software engineers. But the best go where they are paid the best and that means to the bigger companies. Don't expect BB to keep amazing software developers for very long. Unless they can turn themselves around in that department to lure talent in their direction. They spent money on TAT and I think most of the talent at TAT are gone sadly. But TAT is good for design. They need engineers who can slim down this OS.
    06-28-13 06:50 PM
    I am going to buy apple or ? .
    No blackberry again!
    06-29-13 10:00 AM
    For what it's worth, I have worked in IT for some 30 years. Things move very fast, sometimes things you work on one day thinking that will last for years suddenly become old technology. You really do need to build a bridge and get over it.
    Else things will never develop.
    I'm keeping my PlayBook that's for sure, it still has live in it.
    BlackBerry is an incredible product and it's no longer standing still.

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    06-29-13 10:11 AM
    They need engineers who can slim down this OS.
    Seems to be their real problem then...they created a little resourcehungry hog and managed to bluff us with that over the last 9 month...
    But Thorsten, it seems now is payback time... It's sad to say, but BB10 won't be this companies saviour - it became obvious yesterday! This company is either incompent to create a proper mobile OS (See all this lousy restrictions on the current PB OS) or you just didn't care about your loyal customer base!

anon(3879737) likes this.
    06-29-13 10:27 AM
    There should be another update. IDC if it's not full BB10 I never expected that but a stripped down version has to come otherwise they just pissed off a million of their most hard core fans.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 07:57 PM
    If don't see one single update during the month of July, BlackBerry is done. DONE!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-29-13 09:11 PM
    I may be wrong but I think SUPPORT means warranty repair and bbworld remaining open for the pb. I doubt that there will be any OS updates. I will be glady be wrong .....
    06-29-13 11:04 PM
    I may be wrong but I think SUPPORT means warranty repair and bbworld remaining open for the pb. I doubt that there will be any OS updates. I will be glady be wrong .....
    Yes, I reckon that's what it'll boils down to as well.

The PB hardware has never really been the issue but, like all HW, it can break. Anyone that has ever used the warranty return service can testify that it is an efficient and excellent service - I can't see that changing.

Similarly, BBWorld will remain open and all the Apps now available will remain available at their current versions. I'd like to think that Devs will update their existing Apps but I'm not sure that I would bother unless I were a Dev with a sympathetic nature. Perhaps the smaller scale Devs might, but I can't see the likes of Gameloft and EA bothering as it makes no business sense for them to spend any more money on the PB.

However, future OS development won't be happening IMO. I'd like to hope that BB would throw us a bone by issuing a OS2.2 that replaces the AIR cr@p such as the browser with the BB10 equivalents, but I really can't see that happening "soon" or even ever frankly. Those programs are unlikely to be standalone and would likely require all sorts of software libraries such as cascades to also be in the OS for them to work... which is development, and that's not going to happen.

I do take the point of those who say that nothing has changed because their PB works just as well today as it did before Friday's announcement. However, that's not really the issue IMO. The PB became EOL'd on Friday. Everyone now owns a product that will receive no further "love" from BB (or anyone else), it will never get any better, existing deficiencies and bugs will never be fixed, and it'll never see new Apps. And that's a shame...
    kbz1960 and FF22 like this.
    06-30-13 03:26 AM
    I understand your frustration. But, I'm not sure you'll find that the "grass is always greener" on the Apple side of things. Apple was fairly quick to end iOS support for its first generation iPad. Interestingly enough, most people speculated that this was because there wasn't sufficient RAM in that early tablet.
    06-30-13 03:35 AM
    I understand your frustration. But, I'm not sure you'll find that the "grass is always greener" on the Apple side of things. Apple was fairly quick to end iOS support for its first generation iPad. Interestingly enough, most people speculated that this was because there wasn't sufficient RAM in that early tablet.
    There's a difference between EOL and End of Product. In case of PB, IT's the latter. In case of an EOL, there normally is a newer, better product coming up. Alas!
    06-30-13 03:50 AM
    The iPad is a 3yr old model and since been updated with newer models but the PB is a 2yr device with no updated models except the LTE version .....
    06-30-13 03:50 AM
    If BB10 will not let the playbook though this browser will insert the BB10 plus let it returns to BB10 functionality Bridge and it will be a solace for customers who purchased the Playbook for this blunder.
    06-30-13 03:51 AM
    No, this is not one of these topics where people used to say that BB10 IS COMING TO THE PLAYBOOK, i'm not saying that a Tablet OS 3.0 is being developed.

I'm really angry at BBRY for lying to us ( yes, they lied to us, all BBRY fanboys have to accept it ), and i will NEVER buy a BBRY product again, but for now, i'll stick with my Bold 9700 and Playbook combo, they are okay for what i need for now, and they said that they are still supporting the Playbook, so we can expect a new update.

I think they should really update it quickly, most of the people that are holding a Playbook right now are the core base of their customers, and they are starting to lose them right now, they should make a smart move, and make a huge update for the Playbook, where they update the browser, android runtime, and so on ... People won't forget about this lie if they don't give us something.

My next tablet/smartphone combo ? DEFINETELY NOT BlackBerry, probably Sony or Apple, i like their actual products, and the future products will definetely be awesome, and at least, they are supporting and updating ALL THEIR PRODUCT.

Speaking of Apple and updating, ... if Apple can put iOS 7 on an Iphone 4 ( 512 RAM ), putting BB10 on the Playbook shouldn't be a problem, go fire your engineers !

Edit : Forgot about the pricing BBRY are setting; it's just too much, a Q10 or a Z10 are just too expensive, i live in France, and a Q10 is as expensive as an Iphone 5, guess what product people are going to choose ? other product like the Xperia Z are a 150Euros less expensive ....
    I saw an headline saying Q10 was outselling IPhone5/S4 in France :O
    06-30-13 03:52 AM
    Funnily enough, I just bought a cheap iPad1 so's I could use Safari Online. It has iOS 5.1.1 on it and the OS can't be updated beyond that.

However, I don't think it's the same situation at all.

The iPad1 is feature-complete as far as I can see. The Playbook has never been feature-complete throughout it's entire history (which BTW ended on Friday).

I don't need anything from iOS6 or iOS7 to complete my iPad experience, though I'm sure the new Apps would be nice to have. I desperately need (and have needed for years) a Playbook browser that wasn't a slow, unwieldy, feature-incomplete mess... and BB10 (or the BB10 browser) was the light at the end of the tunnel.

Seems that light was an oncoming train after all.
    FF22 and rupam95 like this.
    06-30-13 03:58 AM
    I saw an headline saying Q10 was outselling IPhone5/S4 in France :O
    Hahahaha, Naaa ! that was for the first week of the Q10 going on sale, for one carrier named "SFR", and not even outselling the Iphone, just the HTC One and the Samsung S4.
    There are still a lot of BlackBerry users with BBOS 5, 6 and 7. but these people are not really "fan", they just bought the phone 'cause it's the cheapest ( curve series ) and the next time, they're definetely changing to Huawei, ZTE, Samsung, or others ...
    The point is, after these Q1 results, i don't see BBRY winning any market share, especially with there crappy strategy.

Thorsten Heins said that the Tablet Market will disappear in 5 years, i'm sorry but is he some sort of a prophet or a god ? The Tablet Market is one of the fastest growing markets in the world, it's becoming a huge problem for the PC's constructors,they can't sell PCs because people just want something convenient, smaller, with better battery, so they buy a Tablet, and all the numbers are proving it.

I don't see BlackBerry surviving to see the Iphone 7, or the S6 ... xD

Move On guys !
    06-30-13 06:12 AM
    Remember the week playbook topped sales somewhere in north america about a year post its launch? Why did that happen....you guessed right! Prices dropped. Rest is history....Don't start getting excited about Q10 topping charts just yet.

Bigger question is , why would this product sell in numbers? I haven't noticed a huge migration to BES 10 yet. Nor have corporates said they intend to use these products. BYOD is becoming the norm across larger corporates globally. Those who haven't moved to BYOD will stick with OS7 phones.

Didn't BB just announce another OS7 phone launch later this year? Looks like BB senior management has started to hedge their strategy of moving to BB10. They are clearly seeing lower than expected adoption.
    06-30-13 06:50 AM
    BB10 is a disappointment in term of development, a device that needs 2GB of RAM is INSANE ! all the devices will be too pricey for emerging markets, and even other mature markets like Europe, North America, or the Middle East ( except for corporate use ) the normal people ( not tech fans ) won't buy a BB phone when an iOS or an Android is less expensive with far better app support, ... including me.

I like my Playbook, it's good for my use ( i'm a college student, i read mostly PDFs, and play sometimes games and luckily Gameloft is supprisingly supporting BBRY ), but my next purchase won't be a BBRY device, even if BB10 was coming to the Playbook.

BlackBerry wants their devices to be more professional, and they say that Apple or Android devices are "toys", but personnaly, i think that iOS 7 or Android JB is looking far more professional than BB10 with all the swypes and ****ty moves ...
    06-30-13 07:07 AM
    Tablet OS 3.0? Give me a break. You've just been dumped and you don't get it? You'll get nothing new for the Playbook. Its done, its over. Get it?
    06-30-13 09:18 AM
    At this point, I think the only updates we'll see is if there are critical security fixes that need to be made. Sad but true.

As I keep re-iterating, engineers are smart people. It's not a 'technical limit' that prevents them, but the time and effort being allocated to solve the problem of the technical limit. If Thorsten put half his engineers on it for six months and said, "make it run smoothly, while being full featured", you'd see it running well on BlackBerry 10. Would it be easy? Probably not? Could it be done? Likely.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-30-13 09:27 AM
    At this point, I think the only updates we'll see is if there are critical security fixes that need to be made. Sad but true.

As I keep re-iterating, engineers are smart people. It's not a 'technical limit' that prevents them, but the time and effort being allocated to solve the problem of the technical limit. If Thorsten put half his engineers on it for six months and said, "make it run smoothly, while being full featured", you'd see it running well on BlackBerry 10. Would it be easy? Probably not? Could it be done? Likely.
    I am an engineer. I have a software and systems background in complex domains - I really am a rocket-scientist LOL. Some kind souls have even commented that I'm smart... but, actually, y'know... Scotty was right..."Yer canna change the laws of physics".

I'm not a BB insider, so I don't know the specifics, but a combination of limited working RAM, an elderly GPU, slow processor, trying to run not one but two OS's (one virtualised) at the same time, multiple architectures (AIR, Native, Android)... well... that's a stretch. And a likely impossible one IMO.

Even if it were technically feasible, the idea that Thor would put half of his brightest and best engineers on it (and they'd need to be the brightest and best!) is never going to happen. Certainly not after the ER announcement.

One day, when the actual reasons for all this leak out, and they will, I'd be interested to learn the full story, but it would remain an interesting historical footnote in the death of the PB lifecycle.
    06-30-13 09:57 AM
    I dunno, but if Blackberry cannot deliver the entire BB10 OS wholesale, why not just backport the apps from BB10 to the Playbook OS? After all, BB10 and PBOS uses the same Kernel (which theoretically means they can be binary-compatible e.g. Windows Vista apps runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8), why not just install most of the libraries BB10 use and then let the PBOS get at least a subset of BB10.

I guess Blackberry just needs to update the Android runtime and add e.g. the Cascades framework and PBOS can run all BB10 apps.
    rupam95 likes this.
    06-30-13 10:10 AM
    After few days thinking about it and reading some topics around here, i don't think they'll be ever a new update they'll just keep BBWorld open and that's it, that will probably change nothing about my future purchase, i'll never upgrade to a BB10 device, but i'll may buy another tab/phone combo more quickly than i thought.

iOS or Android, it depends how much money i'll carry and want to invest in the devices ...
    06-30-13 01:50 PM
    RIP my playbook,......i thought so many features were yet to get unlocked with bb10. now all seems day dream and nightmare. no support for bluetooth transfer to other devices nor GPS activated. No bbm video chat support. feels like we were used like dev alpha devices...seems gloomy now.. im not gonna buy blackberry now. liars.....if you couldnt support why do you deliver the speech saying bb10 will be coming....and now they are giving bbm to each and every device...what do we have in hands nothing...blackberry has lost its unique quality...and i am gonna buy android device hell with blackberry....and i will ask other friends to also get ios or android.....Heins you are not man of words...
    FF22 likes this.
    06-30-13 02:12 PM
30 12