We need to quit giving TH a pass a the stupid **** he pulls. Yes, he has helped turn around the company, but incompetence still abounds. Once consensus estimates got too high, he should have stepped in and helped reign in the guidance. Instead, TH was silent.

I do think he provided proper guidance at the last ER, but sometimes the street needs to be reminded if they get way out of line. I'll be surprised if we don't see another call for a management change. This is not good.

I�m still long and hope the Q10 actually does well, but BBRY really only has next quarter to get their act together before they start to see old Faithful leave in droves.

The negative surprise today was utterly ridiculous.
    Geeoff, Carterbits and Acumenight like this.
    06-28-13 02:10 PM
    Hmmm. I am shareholder too. I am not sure what to think. I really thought the Q10 was going to be huge.

Though the shipments reported are majority Z10s right?
    Last edited by southlander; 06-28-13 at 02:41 PM.
    06-28-13 02:12 PM
    i kinda agree that a pre warning MIGHT have been a good thing for BB to do. They have done it before and it probably would have lessened the blow. Especially when you have big name analyists pumping numbers up less than a week ago
    h20work, Acumenight and ..Steve.. like this.
    06-28-13 02:27 PM
    RIM/BBRY has never been good at communication. Ironic for a company that sells communication devices.

I really expected them to change their ways, but they keep doing the same old thing. Happens often when a struggling company promotes from within. I'm guessing we will see an outsider running the show before the end of the year.
    06-28-13 02:50 PM
    RIM/BBRY has never been good at communication. Ironic for a company that sells communication devices.

I really expected them to change their ways, but they keep doing the same old thing. Happens often when a struggling company promotes from within. I'm guessing we will see an outsider running the show before the end of the year.
    I'm not sure what you would expect them to do...there is no magic wonder pill for PR...sometimes it's just pure luck with getting the message out.
    I'm not sure you want to spread bad news too much...
    06-28-13 03:06 PM
    Hmmm. I am shareholder too. I am not sure what to think. I really thought the Q10 was going to be huge.
    Might want to have your wife do your investing for your household from now on. Seriously, all the folks who thought Z10 and Q10 would be big, given RIM's terrible history of new releases, should really sit down and think about where they went wrong in their analysis.
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    06-28-13 03:10 PM
    I'm sorry, how long has the Q10 been out? Is it really even factored into these numbers?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:19 PM
    I'm sorry, how long has the Q10 been out? Is it really even factored into these numbers?

Posted via CB10
    1 month of Q10 sales in Canada and UK are apparently.
    06-28-13 03:22 PM
    it was figured for one month in canada and UK
    06-28-13 03:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Next quarter we will hear "how long has the q5 been out?" then the following quarter it will be "How long has the A10 been out?" wash, rinse, repeat.

Their simaltaneous global launch was a disaster. It was as fragmented as the OS updates and still is.
    06-28-13 03:55 PM
    We need to quit giving TH a pass a the stupid **** he pulls. Yes, he has helped turn around the company, but incompetence still abounds. Once consensus estimates got too high, he should have stepped in and helped reign in the guidance. Instead, TH was silent.

I do think he provided proper guidance at the last ER, but sometimes the street needs to be reminded if they get way out of line. I'll be surprised if we don't see another call for a management change. This is not good.

I�m still long and hope the Q10 actually does well, but BBRY really only has next quarter to get their act together before they start to see old Faithful leave in droves.

The negative surprise today was utterly ridiculous.
    You are right that they could had advised in advance to prevent the surprise so the stock wouldn't had fallen 25%+ today. But the current policy is that they don't provide guidance... this breaking from that will create expectations of guidance from the markets.

Blame the market to had had to high expectations and the shorts of having oversold the stock today.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 04:09 PM
    Dear OP, what does your thread title have to do with your comments?

What if Heins & Berry were managing street expectations and actually had expectations really high? Then what? Reality is reality. They played their cards right IMO. If there was higher expectations, it could have been way more devastating for them.
    06-28-13 04:19 PM
    You are right that they could had advised in advance to prevent the surprise so the stock wouldn't had fallen 25%+ today.
    It probably would have fallen when they gave the warning.

In the end, I've decided to stop worrying about it much. People can go and complain at the annual general meeting if they want, take a break from running their own international corporations to provide Thorsten with guidance on how they'd run of the company if they want, tell Frank how to run his marketing campaigns like their globally excellent campaigns if they want. The AGM is a wonderful place to do it.

Yeah - I'm disappointed in the PlayBook not getting BlackBerry 10, but my business side really isn't surprised. In the meantime, ranting about BlackBerry doesn't change how I like my Z10 and it doesn't remove anything my PlayBook does now so life goes on.
    eddy_berry and metz9444 like this.
    06-28-13 04:25 PM
    I think that too many people throw out bold statements about management like they are the turn around god of BIZ. (OP I am not picking on you but on many threads here.) Do you know the entire plan that BBRY has ? Do you know what the limitations of QNX are? Do you know what is planned for the next few quarters? So many variables. Its fun to have opinions and I enjoy commenting on these forums as much as anyone else. Yes i have some strong opinions and have been flamed for a few, that goes with the territory. I wish I know a lot more about the plans of BBRY. Apps do we really know what is coming or not? No we don't. Anyway I really hope BB10 takes off because its a wonderful OS.
    06-28-13 04:31 PM
    People can go and complain at the annual general meeting if they want, take a break from running their own international corporations to provide Thorsten with guidance on how they'd run of the company if they want, tell Frank how to run his marketing campaigns like their globally excellent campaigns if they want.
    Or, they could just sell their stock. Which is apparently what most people are doing.
    RubberChicken76, jegs2 and JeepBB like this.
    06-28-13 05:26 PM

Though the shipments reported are majority Z10s right?
    Why think that? The top selling smartphone has a touchscreen.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    06-28-13 05:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't matter. People aren't buying physical keyboards anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    06-28-13 05:41 PM
    What are you guys talking about he was the one beating the drums....' we are firing on all cylinder's ' wtf

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 05:52 PM
    Next quarter we will hear "how long has the q5 been out?" then the following quarter it will be "How long has the A10 been out?" wash, rinse, repeat.

Their simaltaneous global launch was a disaster. It was as fragmented as the OS updates and still is.
    Yes....well in truth H, that was the plan. I've said this since the beginning - staggered launch is ridiculous IF you think you can really do well and make a big splash with BB10. The benefit of staggered launch (and I have NO DOUBT it was timed this way), is that you can delay the doubt and final numbers for a long time. So there is some good strategy going on there, though....I don't think anybody thought the numbers would come in this low, which sort of blows it, even with this strategy. WIth this timing, you get to count the initial surge for each new product and you get to say, but hey, the numbers aren't as big as they will be b/c it's the first _______ for this product, it won't be clear for at least another quarter......

The problem is, the initial surge is so low, it doesn't even pass for low but reasonable "normal" sales.

In terms of the investors, OP, I agree that some stockholders would have been helped by guidance. Having said that, there's really not all that much one can do to cushion numbers this low.
    JeepBB, Drew808 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-28-13 05:58 PM
    Heins did the OPPOSITE of managing expectations. He went on a media tour saying that Blackberry was back and saying how sales were exceeding expectations and saying that BB had to increase its production orders to keep up with demand.

What we saw today was the inevitable outcome. The yarn he spun did not match reality.
    richardat, h20work, JeepBB and 5 others like this.
    06-28-13 07:03 PM
    Or, they could just sell their stock. Which is apparently what most people are doing.
    Yeah, but in order to sell stock there has to be an equal number of shares being bought
    06-28-13 08:12 PM
    Their Investor Relations and Marketing departments continue to do a terrible job.
    Awful.
    06-28-13 08:37 PM
    TH should have managed expectations. I am not as confidential on BBRY's future now. Let's rewind a little, Z10 was obviously THE KEY to their strategy (top of the class premium model that everyone should love like they do to iPhone and Galaxy) and it caused quite a stir among existing users at the time crying for a keyboard model. Q10 was almost a side project and concessions to public demand. It is basically a revamped 9900/9930. Now Z10 sale disappoints and all hopes on a side project and it's lower costs sibling.

Not looking good. Even if the keyboard models are more successful (than Z10), they are likely to attract only upgraders from existing users base especially in corporate market. It is not going to raise broader adoption in consumer space. That translates to shrinking or not-growing "subscribers base" even if that counts non-BES BB10 consumers. There is a reason why BBRY stops releasing subscriber info going forward. Reminds me of of RIM stopping forcasting earnings way back, and we all knew what happened.

On a separate note, it is not to say Z10 did not serve a purpose (even if it flops going forward....I hope not). I cannot imagine how the public would have interpreted BB10 if BBRY introduced Q10 first as opposed to Z10. "Same old RIM....". Don't think BBRY would have survived the backlash and stock price skydive. So Z10 has served at least a strategic purpose of keeping BBRY alive thus far even if it becomes a commercial failure in its own right.

Hoping I am wrong.

Posted via CB10
    ciscobear, Fuzzballz and barragan like this.
    06-29-13 01:53 AM

then stop listening?
    06-29-13 02:29 AM
    TH is not defending nor pressing the matters of BlackBerry.
    When there were speculations of major returns, he was quite and not fixing or defending the image of BlackBerry.
    You know what they say, first impressions are huge... Well when people hear false accusations there is a black mark against the product, even if the accusation is false.

During interviews TH stated that sales were higher then expected, but with dismal 2.7 million sales worldwide for the BB10 platform... If this is higher than expected, what was BlackBerry expecting?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z10 and my PlayBook and wouldn't give them up... They truly are my constant companions; going everywhere I go... But enough of the lies.

Let's keep BlackBerry moving in the right direction... They changed their name from RIM to BlackBerry showing that there is a change from the old to the new.
    Well let's see the new BlackBerry.
    06-29-13 02:44 AM
57 123