There are core offerings like Spotify that need to be on the BB10 platform. Why don't BlackBerry build these themselves?

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer and JMDBERRY like this.
    06-28-13 10:23 AM
    Well technically that isn't really a "core" app. But I see what you're saying

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:24 AM
    BlackBerry is not responsible for those apps. App development can range from $500-$500,000 BlackBerry is not or and should not be held responsible for paying for that.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:50 AM
    It's probably getting close to a survival thing which makes it a good investment.

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer and SK122387 like this.
    06-28-13 11:01 AM
    It's probably getting close to a survival thing which makes it a good investment.

Posted via CB10
    I would think a good investment would be using their current resources to fix/extend their actual core apps and OS, rather than squandering them on something that should be far less important to them.
    Bowlegz, ddlax22 and tw1g_007 like this.
    06-28-13 11:12 AM
    I would think a good investment would be using their current resources to fix/extend their actual core apps and OS, rather than squandering them on something that should be far less important to them.
    This

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 11:14 AM
    I agree, and on top of that core list should be improvements to the map delivered with BB10. After coming from a Galaxy phone, the BB map is like stepping back 5 years.

As for stuff like Instagram and others that are popular third party apps, it may be in BlackBerry's best interest to help some of those vendors along perhaps with incentives or something else. But BlackBerry can only go so far. The third party's come along or they don't. With a solid core, I think they will need to at some point.
    06-28-13 11:24 AM
    As far as apps are concerned, I actually like the current atmosphere in that BB can run Android apps. That's major. It means the apps are already developed. They just need to be integrated better. BB should do more to support that integration with development advice/tutorials. If developers don't want to develop for BB, then TAKE their apps. Create a small team, spin it off to sidestep liability, and keep it moving. This will help jump start the migration to BB. For example, I have some of these Android apps on my phone and they work well - Mint, PayPal, Instagram, Flipboard, Pinterest, Google Navigation, Netflix and more. I say screw these developers if they want to continue to ignore BB users and screw them hard.

It's time for BlackBerry to start building core apps themselves-bbscreens.jpg
    07-01-13 08:53 AM
    Let's face it. They can't even build bridge, headless app and protect full functionality in good time. What can we realistically expect from their software engineers?

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer and ..Steve.. like this.
    07-01-13 08:59 AM
    Just pay the main companies to make their apps for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    sonic_reducer and ..Steve.. like this.
    07-01-13 09:07 AM
    Yes! I agree.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 09:08 AM
    We really should end the topic on this note.

Pretty much what that user said 100%. The BlackBerry is bleeding cash and all of a sudden it's the right time to build core apps? Sure buddy.

via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK : OS 10.1) [ Follow me @EHZAY for BB News & Tech Updates ]
    07-01-13 09:18 AM
    Yes they do. Facebook sucks on the Z10 compared to others.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    ..Steve.. likes this.
    07-01-13 09:52 AM
    True.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 09:55 AM
    BB had an initial apps push where they gave away free kit to anyone who would develop anything. This sponsorship was totally random and not directed at all, which is why the initiative was going to be a total failure from day one.

What they need to do is get the top 100 freeware apps on the Appstore and Google Play, contact each of the developers and pay them to produce their freeware on OS10. Start by giving them all the free kit and resources needed to complete the build and a cash payment on acceptance of the app onto BBWorld.

This way they'll also pick up many new developers who will be fully kitted out for native OS10 work, as well as having some of the most popular apps in the world in native form where there are no licensing issues and which expands the freeware section of BBWorld. It takes a few quid to get the thing moving, but given the current management just trashed 25% of the company's worth it's small potatoes comparatively. Say 120 apps with a delivery bonus of US$2500, total investment less than US$3m including starting kit for all those apps which rank among the most popular in the world.
    bradu1 and hkkelvinlee like this.
    07-01-13 10:05 AM
    However they do it, it needs to happen. The OS is great as is the hardware. Lack of apps killed the PB. And it'll kill BB10 kit and BlackBerry with it. As I type this on my Z10 thinking how much better this is than my iPhone it makes me very sad indeed.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 02:12 PM