It is a concern.

The PB will not get BB10 due to it performing bad on the PB.
    1.0 dual core with1 Gig of RAM.
    Oh, but wait. Were they not going to put only 1 Gig of RAM in the Z10? Is there that big a difference between
    the 1.0 and the 1.5 dual core?

Yes, some and I do think it would be slow. The current PB OS is slow when compared to the Z10/BB10.

BUT...

The Z10 was the first BB10 handset. The PB was the first tablet. The Z10 has had launch issues and some performance issues. Apps are/were lagging behind.
    Some folks are having issues that have yet to be resolved. Promised or expected functions not present or spoken to.
    Lack of timely OS and core app updates is resulting in not allowing certain apps to be downloaded/upgraded for some folks.

Sound familiar early PB owners????

With the A10 coming out with stronger specs will the Z10 be as incomplete and short lived as the PB seems to have been?
    06-28-13 08:29 AM
    Yes the Z10 was going to have 1GB of RAM, but after complaints of lag from devs with the alpha/bravo devices, they decided to bump up the specs.

I don't think the Z will go the path of the PlayBook, and I also think that BB has something still in store for the PlayBook
    06-28-13 08:33 AM
    i highly doubt it, the PB was a failed product while I dont view the Z10 like that at all. While its not "hot" its selling enough that its safe to say will get the updates. Hardware is pretty good really for the Z too. Now i dont expect it to get all the updates 2 years from now and I dont think anyway should fully expect that either
    06-28-13 08:36 AM
    I wouldn't go as far to say that it's going to end up like the playbook (completely useless, imo). I am concerned with the fact that if the company doesn't get its footing and gain some traction, this amazing piece of software and hardware will be left half-baked though.

A lot of their decisions (shooting playbook in the foot, a new OS7 device, etc) are questionable, and really make me wonder if the company's management team knows what it's doing. According to the released numbers, it doesn't seem like it...

Poor management leads to the death of this company. They don't have the resources to screw up and get back on their feet anymore. Everything needs to be near damn perfect.
    Last edited by Dzyen; 06-30-13 at 09:07 AM.
    06-28-13 08:37 AM
    Easy Tim, we know you have been vocal for YEARS regarding the PB, and yes todays news was saddening, but the PB is 2.5yrs old now (close to it for the public and longer in development)

BB10 devices such as the Z10 were made to handle BB10, and hopefully, down the road when BB10 becomes BB11 or higher, like Apple devices, I hope BB allows for the older BB10 phones to get ALL the OS upgrades through the years.
    bbfan1040 and eddy_berry like this.
    06-28-13 08:41 AM
    IMHO They need the following to thrive in this market place.

1: Apps, apps, apps and more apps. I am talking big ones like instagram, etc and not android ports either. If that's what people want then that what we should give them. enough with this fixes / patch / ports / sideloads.

The average person is not going to take the time or effort to do this at all.

2: More developers to really get the most out of the O/S which I think is a pretty good o/s

3: Better marketing. There marketing is just poor, really poor.

-Jeff
    bbfan1040, JMDBERRY and devin266 like this.
    06-28-13 08:44 AM
    Yes the Z10 was going to have 1GB of RAM, but after complaints of lag from devs with the alpha/bravo devices, they decided to bump up the specs.

I don't think the Z will go the path of the PlayBook, and I also think that BB has something still in store for the PlayBook
    You would think so. But wouldn't ya think Thor would of mentioned it to lessen the negative vibes?

I hope something is done to complete what they started.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-28-13 08:55 AM
    Easy Tim, we know you have been vocal for YEARS regarding the PB, and yes todays news was saddening, but the PB is 2.5yrs old now (close to it for the public and longer in development)

BB10 devices such as the Z10 were made to handle BB10, and hopefully, down the road when BB10 becomes BB11 or higher, like Apple devices, I hope BB allows for the older BB10 phones to get ALL the OS upgrades through the years.
    I know. Mellooooowwwww.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-28-13 08:57 AM
    I really doubt about specs issue.

The PB was a failure not only for delaying on native mail client and now, to say that due to RAM it couldn't play nice with bb10. TheiPad 2 has only half that memory capacity and runs the latest iOS just fine. Any UNIX like system should have the ability to manage memory depending how much is installed.

SMH...this is really questionable at the management level.

Why BB10 Is a Bloatware

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl
    Last edited by WhiteSpir1t; 07-01-13 at 04:37 PM.
    06-28-13 08:58 AM

1: Apps, apps, apps and more apps. I am talking big ones like instagram, etc and not android ports either. If that's what people want then that what we should give them. enough with this fixes / patch / ports / sideloads.

2: More developers to really get the most out of the O/S which I think is a pretty good o/s

-Jeff
    I would change the order a little bit. They do need the big apps that people love. They don't need to have a million of the same kind of app, but the big apps need to come to BB10 and be native. BB definitely needs to market in the USA better. There needs to be grass roots, store by store, salesperson by salesperson contact. Flashy TV ads will garner momentary brand recognition, but there is a deep seated thought that BB is irrelevant. That has to change.

I would not put them as one and two but rather as a "both and" proposition. The company must do both. Keep it Moving does not resonate with consumers in the USA because at this point I don't see a fleshed out marketing strategy.

Back to the OP, the Z10 is not the next PlayBook. It will have a shelf life, like every other phone out there, but as long as it can handle the OS updates without a need for hardware improvement, then the Z10 can stay relevant and up to speed for many years to come, maybe doubling it's two to three year life-cycle. iOS7 will come to the iPhone 4s so why not similarly for the Z10.
    06-28-13 08:58 AM
    Let's look at recent history....

OS5 devices were NOT upgradable to OS6
    OS6 devices were NOT upgradable to OS7
    OS7 devices were NOT upgradable to BB10
    And....
    The PlayBook is NOT upgradable to BB10

To be honest, I do think that the Z10 will be supported at least until BB11, but based on history, I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry screwed us again. That would be the last straw for me though.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 09:03 AM
    It is a concern.

The PB will not get BB10 due to it performing bad on the PB.
    1.0 dual core with1 Gig of RAM.
    Oh, but wait. Were they not going to put only 1 Gig of RAM in the Z10? Is there that big a difference between
    the 1.0 and the 1.5 dual core?

Yes, some and I do think it would be slow. The current PB OS is slow when compared to the Z10/BB10.

BUT...

The Z10 was the first BB10 handset. The PB was the first tablet. The Z10 has had launch issues and some performance issues. Apps are/were lagging behind.
    Some folks are having issues that have yet to be resolved. Promised or expected functions not present or spoken to.
    Lack of timely OS and core app updates is resulting in not allowing certain apps to be downloaded/upgraded for some folks.

Sound familiar early PB owners????

With the A10 coming out with stronger specs will the Z10 be as incomplete and short lived as the PB seems to have been?
    After being with blackberry for many many years, I think we're all suckered into false promises. I wish I could say otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 09:14 AM
    You would think so. But wouldn't ya think Thor would of mentioned it to lessen the negative vibes?
    Exactly my thoughts as well.
    06-28-13 09:24 AM
    Maybe z10 xl?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-28-13 09:25 AM

-Jeff
    I don't think they should waste money on #3 until they figure out a way to get #1 nailed down.

There's no point in a massive marketing campaign where people aren't listening.

And they definitely don't need the backlash of mass market consumers who paid almost as much for a BB10 device as an iPhone or Android device and feel ripped-off because there's no tangible app ecosystem.
    06-28-13 09:28 AM
    Not updating the PB is a kick in the **** certainly. However, BB has at this point pretty limited resources. They have always been a communications company, and they would be smart to stick with that and maybe come back to the PB should they survive and end up with enough development resources to invest in it. As for the new OS7 phone, I say go for it. It's a minimal investment with a pretty sure payback, even if it won't stop the bleeding. I for one liked OS7 and the 9930. If they were to release one that talked 4G and would accept my SIM I'd be all over it.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-28-13 09:31 AM
    How bout we get the functionality of the bridge back at least

Posted via CB10
    si001, slparry and LaFlamaBlanca like this.
    06-28-13 09:42 AM
    Not sure what OP is talking about? Why even mention that the Dev A had 1GB memory when the final unit was upgraded to 2GB before it was commercially launched. Isn't that the whole point of dev devices, to find the issues and address them before launching? Other than the app issue that is shared by PB and BB10 devices, all other issues with PB have been addressed and improved on in BB10. Why would the OP be concerned that BB10 is another PB? When the A10 launches, Z10 will move down a peg in the product hierarchy, just as GS3 moved down when GS4 launched and iPhone 5 will likewise move down when 5S launches. That's how product cycle work. I'm not worried about Z10 becoming obsolete. I'll envy the A10 owners but I'll happily keep my Z10 for another couple of years.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-28-13 09:50 AM
    If PlayBook will not be supported with BB10 and not further developed, make the PlayBook Open Source so we in the community can further develop the OS and make it useful. Remember ROOT access?

Posted via CB10
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    06-28-13 09:53 AM
    well, it's not BB's fault that developers keep on refusing to make apps for them. you know, some devs can be jerks too (like the netflix guy)
    06-28-13 10:05 AM
    I expect so, it has the wrong screen resolution for a start........
    How can yoi believe anythinh elses bb says from now on.

Sent from my LT26i using CB Forums mobile app
    06-28-13 10:13 AM
    I scratched my z10 screen a bit. Keys in pocket. Don't even care much as any resale value was already kaput

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:45 AM
    well, it's not BB's fault that developers keep on refusing to make apps for them. you know, some devs can be jerks too (like the netflix guy)
    I agree with you in regards to the Z10, but with the PlayBook, BlackBerry kept telling everyone that cascades apps were coming, so developers waited. It was completely BlackBerry's fault when it came to apps on the PlayBook!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:32 PM
    I expect so, it has the wrong screen resolution for a start........
    How can yoi believe anythinh elses bb says from now on.

Sent from my LT26i using CB Forums mobile app
    You can't... in 2010 Jim balsili promised dual core bb10 devices as a predecessor to the storm line up. In 2013 thorstein heinz promised bb10 on playbook.

I lived through the storm days, the torch days, and now the bb10 days... I'm tired.. I'm tired of hearing "coming soon" then not coming at all.

I want to buy a product on launch day and feel comfortable I will not regret my purchase at full price. I can no longer do this with blackberry. 8 blackberry devices and none of them are updated past a year!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 11:00 PM
    1. The PlayBook was a transitional product. When no phones were released with its OS, that was probably a good clue.

2. The PlayBook sold poorly. There is no such thing as long term support and enhancement for huge money losing and low selling products in tech. Products that sell well and build a big user base get the upgrades. Maybe the Zune is one counter example -- but probably not (don't know just a guess).

Interestingly though the Z10 is not selling all that well overall -- not for a modern smartphone. Whereas the Q10 and Q5 will do much much better. So I get your point. Yeah.
    06-28-13 11:07 PM
75 123