From BBRY press release announcing 1st quarter financial results: "During the quarter, the Company shipped 6.8 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 100,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets." At least they mentioned the PB, albeit in the past tense. How could they ship that many when nearly all retail channels appeared empty? Are they continuing to sell it in enterprise channels, or is it the LTE version in Canada which is contributing to the sales?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 06:39 AM
    dont know where they all came from lol.....could be in some markets like UK. I havent seen any for sale in US really for many months
    06-28-13 06:42 AM
    There will probably be more sold in the second quarter - in the USED FOR SALE market. I wonder what the charity write-off would be worth!
    06-28-13 07:26 PM
    The only models that BlackBerry is selling would be the 4G/LTE 32gb PlayBook. Does anyone think they sold 100K of them?

But for myself, it is ironic that on this day that BB announces the end of the PlayBook, UPS delivers to me a used 32gb wifi PB that I had decided to pick up last week on sale from Staples Canada Ebay site for clearance items. $109 delivered was a good deal, will use this PB as a multimedia device with my home theatre. Now this PB may have been used or an open box, but I can tell you that it is practically brand new! Not a scratch or anything on it, front or back. I charged it up and then turned it on fine, it needed a 300MB software update to the latest 2.1 OS. My first app to load was Battery Guru, and to my surprise it is indicating only 1 charge count and 95% battery health! The date on the box is 06/12/12 so could be from one of the last shipments released.
    06-29-13 12:16 AM
    RE: Approximately 100,000 PlayBooks sold in 1st qtr

If that is true, there must be additional approximately 100,000 PlayBook disappointed users from 1st quarter alone...
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    06-29-13 01:13 AM
    It's true... I purchased my PlayBook back in January 2013, and I am disappointed with the current news of no update.
    But I still like my PlayBook and My Z10.

I'm not going to run and sell off my BlackBerry devices.
    06-29-13 01:54 AM
    RE: Approximately 100,000 PlayBooks sold in 1st qtr

If that is true, there must be additional approximately 100,000 PlayBook disappointed users from 1st quarter alone...
    Or there's another 100k in warehouses that will have to be written off. Maybe a $99 HP Slate style sale is in order?
    06-29-13 01:56 AM
    Read the message correctly.....

It is not 100,000 "sold", but "shipped".

It's not exactly the same meaning...

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 02:23 AM
    The thread title said "sold" not "shipped"... although the message contains "shipped" not "sold"...

And yes, they are two different things... like "later this year" and "not coming"...

Posted via Z10
    xanderten50 likes this.
    06-29-13 04:05 AM
    The only models that BlackBerry is selling would be the 4G/LTE 32gb PlayBook. Does anyone think they sold 100K of them?

But for myself, it is ironic that on this day that BB announces the end of the PlayBook, UPS delivers to me a used 32gb wifi PB that I had decided to pick up last week on sale from Staples Canada Ebay site for clearance items. $109 delivered was a good deal, will use this PB as a multimedia device with my home theatre. Now this PB may have been used or an open box, but I can tell you that it is practically brand new! Not a scratch or anything on it, front or back. I charged it up and then turned it on fine, it needed a 300MB software update to the latest 2.1 OS. My first app to load was Battery Guru, and to my surprise it is indicating only 1 charge count and 95% battery health! The date on the box is 06/12/12 so could be from one of the last shipments released.
    Excellent deal for 109$, congratulations.
    06-29-13 04:10 AM

Quite an expensive alarm clock, i think

I love the PB hardware and the QNX experience. But hey, limited ecosystem was tough to cope with. I still use it as a reader with Kindle app (android side-load). Good luck.
    06-29-13 05:26 AM

RE: use this PB as a multimedia device with my home theatre.

I'd be interested in hearing the details on how you are going to do that.

06-30-13 07:58 PM

I'm not sure how they tabulate the number. Many retailers and website sellers already bought those inventory before the Q1. The number would have been exclude from what BB reported. My take is BB actually sell directly to some retailer what existing inventory the company has during the 3 months period.
    06-30-13 08:40 PM
    Doesn't really matter, does it?

"It's Dead, Jim".
    06-30-13 08:43 PM
    shipping and selling are 2 different things

From BBRY press release announcing 1st quarter financial results: "During the quarter, the Company shipped 6.8 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 100,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets." At least they mentioned the PB, albeit in the past tense. How could they ship that many when nearly all retail channels appeared empty? Are they continuing to sell it in enterprise channels, or is it the LTE version in Canada which is contributing to the sales?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:46 PM
    Excellent deal for 109$, congratulations.
    RE: USED 32gb wifi PB being a Excellent deal for 109$.

You could say it was a "Good Deal" for the seller to UN-LOAD-IT for $109.

9 +/- months ago NEW, NIB 32gb could be had for around $120... NIB with full warranty.
    This was with the promise that ALL PlayBooks were going to get the BB10 OS update.

Fast forward to 2013-06-28
    PlayBook PBOS v 2.xxx update to BB10 OS promised update killed off
    Not much I can see has changed on the BlackBerry app store "App World", or whatever it is called.
    Hopes of running BB10 apps are gone.

2013-06-28 onward what to expect:
    As the PlayBook has been deemed a EOL (End of Life) product expect No updates to the OS /core installed apps. Expect RIM/BlackBerry to spend ZERO dollars on fixing any bugs.
    2.xxx is a dead OS, Developers moving on to BB10.
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-01-13 at 01:50 AM.
    06-30-13 10:55 PM