For some inexplicable reason my Blackberry Z10 has died after a short life of three weeks. It was a quiet passing. She was working fine this morning faithfully taking calls, sending e-mails and reading text messages. And then she just went to sleep and never woke up. Reinforcements are on the way; however I remain phoneless for the next three to five business days.

Three to five business days later�

Newly �certified refurbished� Blackberry Z10 from Verizon arrived then it died. This time death came about two weeks. She was working awesome receiving texts and checking mail and then she was gone. She died fully charged with no history of dropping or having been coffee�d.
    All attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful (e.g., removing battery, tethering to computer to force software reload with or without battery, switching battery, removing memory card, removing SIM card, checking that the white stickers weren�t pink, begging and pleading , crying, etc.)

I believe that there is a defect in the phone. I think that they should be recalled and replaced.

In lieu of flowers please send chocolate.
    06-27-13 03:18 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry. There have been a few isolated reports of this happening. Did you use the same sim card in both devices? I would take it to one of Verizon's retail stores and have them give you a new phone. You didn't pay for a used phone and since the device failed you shouldn't have to accept one that was turned in for some reason unknown.
    eBud likes this.
    06-27-13 03:24 PM
    All my BlackBerry still work. 8350 on up.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-27-13 03:27 PM
    Lady you are funny I feel bad for this happening, I remember this happened to my 9900 and many others. They just died overnight charging. Have you asked for a third replacement?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 03:28 PM
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune... trying going in to VZW --> get a new device seeing as this happened twice! Maybe third time's the charm??! Goodluck
    06-27-13 03:31 PM
    All attempts at getting a *new* phone have failed. I spent almost two hours in the store, on the phone with support, and while very nice they just kept passing the buck between Blackberry and Verizon. In the end neither would take responsibility for replacing the phone. Same sim in both devices. I'm wondering if this could be an OS issue. I've been using Blackberry's for years and never had an experience like this before. I've even put one through the wash once and it dried out and kept working.
    06-27-13 03:58 PM
    Warranty has to replace it or repair

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 03:59 PM
    Lady you are funny I feel bad for this happening, I remember this happened to my 9900 and many others. They just died overnight charging. Have you asked for a third replacement?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I'll let you know how it goes in another three-to-five-business-days ;-(
    06-27-13 04:00 PM
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune... trying going in to VZW --> get a new device seeing as this happened twice! Maybe third time's the charm??! Goodluck
    I hope so. I did actually go into the store (something I hate doing because they're always trying to talk me into a new data plan and I'm NEVER going to give up my unlimited data plan which is grandfathered.) I'm in the process of moving back to my Blackberry Pearl Flip which never actually stopped working I just upgraded it because it got embarrassing to pull it out of my purse. My kids were laughing at me and clients kept saying "Is that really your phone?"
    06-27-13 04:07 PM
    Yes. I'll let you know how it goes in another three-to-five-business-days ;-(
    On thing I did was bought a used phone oj the local classifieds Kijiji a cheap blackberry to have in case a phone ever died, haven't used it yet but it's always there it's a good piece of advice and wasn't too much money.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 04:07 PM
    All my BlackBerry still work. 8350 on up.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Therefore all blackberry must work..... Err.... Maybe not.
    06-27-13 05:00 PM
    For some inexplicable reason my Blackberry Z10 has died after a short life of three weeks. It was a quiet passing. She was working fine this morning faithfully taking calls, sending e-mails and reading text messages. And then she just went to sleep and never woke up. Reinforcements are on the way; however I remain phoneless for the next three to five business days.

Three to five business days later�

Newly �certified refurbished� Blackberry Z10 from Verizon arrived then it died. This time death came about two weeks. She was working awesome receiving texts and checking mail and then she was gone. She died fully charged with no history of dropping or having been coffee�d.
    All attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful (e.g., removing battery, tethering to computer to force software reload with or without battery, switching battery, removing memory card, removing SIM card, checking that the white stickers weren�t pink, begging and pleading , crying, etc.)

I believe that there is a defect in the phone. I think that they should be recalled and replaced.

In lieu of flowers please send chocolate.
    What are you doing to those poor phones? You've managed to kill 2 phones in a row? Strange.

Question... I thought the whole thing with Verizon was you lost your grandfathered plan when you upgraded? I seem to believe that was bog news way back when. How did you manage to get a bb10 and keep that plan?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 05:30 PM
    I'm going back to a legacy device, the z10 has too many problems

itsSkrilla
    06-27-13 05:34 PM
    First time I've heard of this sudden death. Heard plenty of other complaints but not like this one.

Hope you get a good phone with a long life.

Posted via CB on my Z10
    06-27-13 05:38 PM
    Should it be a surprise that another rare problem Z10 is associated with Verizon?
    And now reports are that Verizon is making a play for Wind Mobile in Canada. Please stay away Verizon! The CRTC should not be allowing this incompetent company to cross the border!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 05:53 PM
    The one constant is sim card. I know I've read another post that had the same complaints and went through the same circle. Another poster had the same problem and assured them that it was the sim card. The second poster took his back and VZW changed out the card and it worked fine after.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 06:32 PM
    Mine died after 3weeks (approx)
    Refurb received 4 days from Rogers. Working fine so far. Same sim in both.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    06-27-13 07:18 PM
    You can keep your unlimited data plan with verizon if you pay full retail for the phone or use an upgrade from another line then transfer the device to a line with unlimited data. You don't lose unlimited data unless you use your upgrade to buy a device.
    06-27-13 07:47 PM
    I didn't even know Verizon switched to using sim cards. I thought it was that CDMA something. New to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:56 PM
    What are you doing to those poor phones? You've managed to kill 2 phones in a row? Strange.

Question... I thought the whole thing with Verizon was you lost your grandfathered plan when you upgraded? I seem to believe that was bog news way back when. How did you manage to get a bb10 and keep that plan?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what I'm doing and have been wracking my brain trying to figure that out. I thought it might be something with my power supply because I was using the charger from my last Blackberry; but I only used the new one with the Z10 so I've eliminated that as a possibility.

Here's how I managed to keep my unlimited data plan (very good question and helps explain why I'm so desperate to get this phone fixed.) I bought the phone outright. Instead of taking the upgrade from Verizon I went to the Blackberry site and clicked on the "Buy" link and bought the phone for full price from their Amazon supplier. I did the math and based on the Verizon data plans I will save money - also I was planning on keeping this phone for years since they typically last forever. When I got the phone I needed a sim so I went online and ordered it. This is the key. If you go into the store they tell you that you *must* change plans but online they ask you what plan you want to move to and I checked the radio button to keep the same one I was on. A few days later the sim arrived and I stuck it in the phone. It took a few days to start picking up 4G LTE signal -- I thought that might be how they were shutting me down but it started picking up the signal on the third day and was working great. There is one drawback that I've noticed... you cannot use the unlimited data for a hot spot. If you try you get a message saying that the account is not set-up for that -- I'm sure if I called to activate that feature I'd be forced to change plans.
    06-27-13 08:04 PM
    I have to agree. She hasn't answered how she has managed to get a phone on a plan that's not supposed to exist anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Ouch! Here's what you don't know about me. I'm a die hard Blackberry fan. I got my first Blackberry in the late 90s (e-mail only version) and became an immediate addict (personally I think it was a contributing factor in my last divorce ;-) While everyone around me is running to iPhones and Androids... I stuck with my Blackberries model after model (personally I think they should bring the trackball back - I love that thing!)

Basically I've been a voyeur lurking around this forum for many years -- I'm sure that there are a lot of people like me reading this who never post. I decided to post today because I want to get a message through that this is a real defect and needs to be addressed. This cannot be a fluke if I've had two phones exhibit the exact same symptoms.
    06-27-13 08:16 PM
    I don't know what I'm doing and have been wracking my brain trying to figure that out. I thought it might be something with my power supply because I was using the charger from my last Blackberry; but I only used the new one with the Z10 so I've eliminated that as a possibility.

Here's how I managed to keep my unlimited data plan (very good question and helps explain why I'm so desperate to get this phone fixed.) I bought the phone outright. Instead of taking the upgrade from Verizon I went to the Blackberry site and clicked on the "Buy" link and bought the phone for full price from their Amazon supplier. I did the math and based on the Verizon data plans I will save money - also I was planning on keeping this phone for years since they typically last forever. When I got the phone I needed a sim so I went online and ordered it. This is the key. If you go into the store they tell you that you *must* change plans but online they ask you what plan you want to move to and I checked the radio button to keep the same one I was on. A few days later the sim arrived and I stuck it in the phone. It took a few days to start picking up 4G LTE signal -- I thought that might be how they were shutting me down but it started picking up the signal on the third day and was working great. There is one drawback that I've noticed... you cannot use the unlimited data for a hot spot. If you try you get a message saying that the account is not set-up for that -- I'm sure if I called to activate that feature I'd be forced to change plans.
    Then maybe your first phone just had the battery drained. You can't use the old chargers on the z10. Not enough power. You'll get a little, but not enough. Even my cat charger that would work as a quick charger for my torch... If I'm using gps in the car while plugged in I can watch the power still drain. I don't know then numbers you need on the charger, and I'm too lazy to look right now, but the old chargers aren't gonna do it. As Tim Allen used to say.... "more power!"

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 08:16 PM
    Then maybe your first phone just had the battery drained. You can't use the old chargers on the z10. Not enough power. You'll get a little, but not enough. Even my cat charger that would work as a quick charger for my torch... If I'm using gps in the car while plugged in I can watch the power still drain. I don't know then numbers you need on the charger, and I'm too lazy to look right now, but the old chargers aren't gonna do it. As Tim Allen used to say.... "more power!"

Posted via CB10
    It's possible. Each time I had changed the phone for the night and then used it to check an incoming message or phone call immediately before it died. I had stopped using and put it away and then when I checked it later it was gone. The first time I checked it a few hours later and noticed that it was dark and the second one was a matter of minutes after a recent use. Has to be something shorting out. The keys to this anomaly that I'm called Sudden Death Syndrome is that it's completely gone. No battery charge light. Nothing. Power button non-responsive.
    06-27-13 08:24 PM
    I have to agree. She hasn't answered how she has managed to get a phone on a plan that's not supposed to exist anymore.

Posted via CB10
    You can keep unlimited if you buy outright...
    06-27-13 08:37 PM
    Robyne

I honestly want to apologize for the responses some members are generating. We're not all like this, it's sad that the main focus here sometimes is to establish the legitimacy of someone's claim. The average person here has no technical experience (I'm sure some will say otherwise) and are often blinded by fanaticism.

Your best bet is to try to solve it out with Verizon and hopefully you get a working Z! I personally know how refurbished devices can be and I'm sure you got a stash that some inexperienced individual deemed functional.

Keep trying, and don't be discouraged by the responses you get here.

And to the lot of you, it's not your place to decided if someone has a legitimit issue based on their post history. That's the last thing you should ever look at not the first.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 08:51 PM
65 123